cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomsystem freeze on RAMPAGE V x99 TRIED EVERYTHING I KNOW!

r1one82
Level 7
Hello all,

so this is an issue that's been going on now for a long time. I have tried many things and now I am at the end of my tether.

just to first state my specs:

CPU: Core i7 5930k Haswell-E/EP
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz Memory CMD64GX4M8A2666C15
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V
SSD: 1tb Samsung Pro
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080ti FE in SLI
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2 80+ Gold Full Modular Power Supply

the issue is that Randomly with no apparent pattern. my system will just freeze only when gaming generally for long periods of time.

The things I have tried.

* installed a new PSU (Old 1200 W one died)
* Replaced the RAM for a new set of the same type as initial ones were faulty
*ive had 3 different GPU revisions over the years. GTX titan - GTX 9080ti SLI - GTX 1080ti SLI
* Ran memtest 86 for over 11 hours 0 errors
* Ran Heaven for a couple of hours no issues
* Ran Intels Processor Diagnostic tool all pass
* Ran AIDA for 20 mins or so no issues.

I have messed with overclocking my CPU but i cannot get anything stable for any overclock as it all fails during testing
I have also played around with the Core V of the CPU a little no help there either. and to be fair my knowledge is very poor in that area.
I was just following guides and reading forums.

I have removed my CMOS battery and stated with all default. the system is fine and then only when gaming for a long period of time it will freeze again.
I have removed RAM sticks and it still seems to cause the freeze

All my drivers are always up to date for MOBO to windows to GPU
I have checked the health of my SSD and it seems fine.
I have a clean machine very minimal dust

Im starting to loose my mind over this haha

I was hoping someone out there could help me overcome this issue im having? or has has the same experience?

Many thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This can of course be driver problems...especially if it's common to only one or two games...

assuming it's not that the most common cause of such symptoms is RAM.

I know it's an investment (I have no affiliation) but I'd consider getting a KARHU RamTest licence and testing RAM with that.

What settings have you tried in BIOS for the RAM? HAve you tried raising DRAM voltage 1.4 or 1.45v? RAising SystemAgent voltage?...what does XMP set for these (read in BIOS)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This can of course be driver problems...especially if it's common to only one or two games...

assuming it's not that the most common cause of such symptoms is RAM.

I know it's an investment (I have no affiliation) but I'd consider getting a KARHU RamTest licence and testing RAM with that.

What settings have you tried in BIOS for the RAM? HAve you tried raising DRAM voltage 1.4 or 1.45v? RAising SystemAgent voltage?...what does XMP set for these (read in BIOS)

Hi there!

thanks for your response. so just to add some more things I have also got the latest BIOS 4101. I have everything set to AUTO on bios. I have also run health checks and scans over the system SSD and no issues found.

just last night the machine randomly reset again. it will do it randomly either freeze or reset. and seemingly only when gaming. does not matter what game.
I will absolutely download the KARHU app and test again.

I have not upped the DRAM voltage at all. i was thinking this is something I should do. I think its sitting at 1.2. is 1.4 safe? at the moment the ram is running well under the specifications 2166mhz.

last i was looking into this It was suggested the RAM was the issue CMD64GX4M8A2666C15 with that board. i cannot see this RAM listed in the memory report.

currenly no XMP setting

r1one82
Level 7
Hello Arne Saknussemm,

So i purchased KARHU RamTest and ran it and within 5 mins Boom! the PC resets itself. so this points towards RAM issue? do i need to increase Volts of DRAM or its the sticks faulty?
can you help me a bit with this if that is ok?

do i just need to increase the DRAM volts and nothing else?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would start there, yes. Try changing DRAM voltage to 1.35v and maybe 1.4 or 1.45..this is totally safe voltage for RAM

Maybe look in BIOS at the system agent voltage setting...see what the board is setting...

Testing for a bad stick is simple...just remove all sticks and put a single stick in to the slot furthest from the CPU on the right....repeat with all sticks and test with RAMTest

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would start there, yes. Try changing DRAM voltage to 1.35v and maybe 1.4 or 1.45..this is totally safe voltage for RAM

Maybe look in BIOS at the system agent voltage setting...see what the board is setting...

Testing for a bad stick is simple...just remove all sticks and put a single stick in to the slot furthest from the CPU on the right....repeat with all sticks and test with RAMTest

So an update. randomly when not under load the PC froze again in the windows desktop 😞
so i bumped the DRAM to 1.4V and then rebooted. about 3 mins after logging back in the PC just rebooted.

to answer your other question. the system agent voltage is set to 0.925 and the CPU Voltage is set to 1.02 the DRAM is currently set to 1.203.

r1one82
Level 7
so interestingly enough.

all i did was change the DRAM Fregquency and left all as auto and disabled the Fully manual mode for voltages.

then i went and run the RAM test again. and for 2 hours no errors.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try setting system agent voltage higher...try a range....1.1v to 1.15...to 1.2v...set DRAM to 1.375 or 1.4

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Try setting system agent voltage higher...try a range....1.1v to 1.15...to 1.2v...set DRAM to 1.375 or 1.4

OK I will try this.

just to ask, my RAM is CMD64GX4M8A2666C15 and i looked on the site for the ASUS mobo QVL and it was not listed.
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

but I looked on Corsair site and they said it was compatible
https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/DDR4-Compatibility.pdf

so confused here. on further investigation i found that a chap had the same RAM and mobo as mine and he was able to achieve
stability.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58844-Problem-with-RAM-and-or-warmboot

I see that he messed with the RAM timings as well. do I need to do this?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

How do i set an adaptive System Agent Voltage? is that that you are suggesting here?
im not sure how to do this on the Asus Rampage V x99 board?