cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparison G74SX models: NH71 vs DH71

gueeds23
Level 7
Seems like the screen, CPU and GPU are the same.

Looks like the differences are the DH has a bigger hard drive, more ram, and a blu ray drive.

Is this the case?

I could always upgrade the HDD, ram and drive if so considering I save 300 getting the NH71.

Also, do these come with secondary drive bays? I would like to make the primary an SSD to speed up load times.
8 REPLIES 8

zsld0423
Level 9
Yep, it has 2 bays for hard drives, and it should come with the required casing for the 2nd hard drive, and the cable to connect it
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

i have the dh71, and i think it's worth the money. it has faster and more of everything, so why not go ahead and get it now in a setup, instead of paying more for it later. i pulled out one of the 750gb hhd's, and use it for an external drive now. i slipped in a 256gb ssd, and use it as my os drive, and the other 750gb drive as my data drive. works out perfectly. then changed the crappy wifi card for an intel 6300. system is running very smooth and fast. have had relatively no problems. a couple of glitches, that i fixed quickly, but other than those, it's all good.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

AQUASTEVAE wrote:
. then changed the crappy wifi card for an intel 6300. .

Where can I buy one of these cards? Is it alot better then stock? what are the noticeable gains?
G74SX-AH71
17.3" FULL HD
Core I7 2670QM
16GB DDR3
320GB WD Blue
1TB Seagate Barracuda 2nd HDD
GTX560M 3GB

dogla wrote:
Where can I buy one of these cards? Is it alot better then stock? what are the noticeable gains?

The stock WLAN card, whether you got an Atheros or Intel, is a basic 150Mbps wireless card. So if you are using a router that runs a faster network.....dual-stream 300Mbps routers are kind of the de facto "standard" these days....your OEM wireless card is limiting you to 150Mbps. So with a faster router, this is definitely a wise upgrade.

Even if you have a 150Mbps router, and therefore don't run a faster network, many have found that a WLAN card upgrade gives more stable wireless performance. This really depends on the particulars of your environment and situation, though. Some owners do get strong, consistent 150Mbps signals with the stock cards.

I always buy my upgrade WLAN cards on Amazon. Here's a link for the 6300.

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
great answer brody. the main reason i bought the upgrade card, was because of the problematic drivers for the atheros stock card. i have read soooooooo many problems with this computer that have been caused by those drivers. of course i wanted not only the more stable and faster speeds now, but already having something that can handle the coming upgraded standards as time goes by.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

dogla
Level 7
Thanx Brody, will this also help with reception? like if I'm having 1 bar now, could an upgrade give some more signal strength?
G74SX-AH71
17.3" FULL HD
Core I7 2670QM
16GB DDR3
320GB WD Blue
GTX560M 3GB

dogla wrote:
Thanx Brody, will this also help with reception? like if I'm having 1 bar now, could an upgrade give some more signal strength?

Very likely. Owners who weren't getting decent performance from the Atheros card often report noticeable improvement with an upgrade. (It's still important to try and position your router/AP for good signal strength throughout your usage area.)

dogla
Level 7
I won't be able to adjust the AP since it's the company's property 🙂 , but if the Intel card shows noticeable improvement in reception I will definitely buy one.
G74SX-AH71
17.3" FULL HD
Core I7 2670QM
16GB DDR3
320GB WD Blue
GTX560M 3GB