cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

SetzerG123
Level 7
I'm going to be getting a 3080 here in about two months. I want you guys advise on if I should pick up a 5960x or "6900K if I can find one for cheap" Or do I just wait tell over the 1st of the year to build a whole new system?

My spec.
i7 5930k at 4.5Ghz water cooled with dual rads.
Asus Rampage V Extreme Ver1
16Gb Ram Corsair Dominator Platinum
Asus 2080Ti OC Gaming
1200 watt Corsair power supply
4 REPLIES 4

Super_Gnome
Level 11
What's wrong with your system? If it runs fine you are good for a few more years. I have a computer I built in 2011 with an eight core processor, an 990xe and a Rampage III Black Edition motherboard. I added a couple 1070s in SLI and wow. To be quite honest, it still does the job and I built a couple new systems this and last year, when the old system still does the job. Do I have any regrets? Yup, I do. I could have sat on the money for a couple more years and kept on using the older system which still runs well and is as good as most current builds.

The bottom line: In a couple years, the performance/cost ratio is just going to get better. It always does. Hence, more money in the pot for down the road will mean building an even better and more future proof system then.

The question: Is your current system up to snuff? Does it do the job as well as most current builds?

Just my two cents.

SetzerG123
Level 7
No it still runs pretty good but it is starting to show it's age and I have noticed the CPU having a little trouble with the 2080ti on some newer titles, I forgot to put that I am also playing on a Ultra Wide 1440p. That's why I was asking if I should just upgrade to a better CPU or wait and spend the money on a new system to put the 3080 in.

Having recently been down the route of upgrading CPU and a few other components in the build I was running only to then start on a whole new build I think it depends on where your head is at. If you're anything like me it becomes an itch lol. With a little hindsight I probably should have managed with my existing set up and planned ahead seeing what the market was looking to offer going forward in terms of better bang for my buck and improved spec.

Having said that I enjoyed the problem solving of doing the upgrades on my last build and I moved the whole thing along to someone else knowing it was a solid build plus I had the enjoyment of using it while I gathered the parts for the hankering I had to get a new machine up and running.

It wasn't the most cost effective route, but the journey kept me occupied for a bit and I learned a few things.

All the best

P

SetzerG123
Level 7
Yes that's almost how I fill I want to build a new system but the voice in the back of my head keeps saying "should you is it the right time is the market in the right place is the tech that much better". Do I spend 300 to 500 on just a new CPU, or 1500 on a new system or save my money for something else.