cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) BIOS 2311...still terrible for 4-DIMM setups

Oblivionxt
Level 7
Well, I thought I was lucky, as my issues were less severe using BIOS 2xxx.

Running 4 x 8 Team Group Xtreem 4500 (at 3800 cl 14). Not on the QVL, but others have similar issues using 4 DIMMS of approved RAM.

Here's my progression of issues:

2103 - With this version I only had one issue going from two DIMMS to four. When rebooting, the POST hangs up with a 01 or 1F code and requires the reset button to be pressed.

2204/6 - The last issue persists, but with the first four or five flashes of these versions I lost communication with my case USB 3.0/3.2 headers, power only. I regained USB functionality inexplicably with a later flash...

New 2311 - With the latest BIOS, I now get to experience the random crashing that so many others running 4 DIMMS enjoyed on older versions. I'll try cranking the DRAM voltage to see if it has any effect...but this is getting old really fast.

How can ASUS make a BIOS that just can't run the advanced features we paid for on four sticks? Bleh.
22 REPLIES 22

chris_skaling
Level 7
I have the tforce 4000 mhz in 4x8, nightmare. Best i have gotten is 3600 @ 1.45 volts

No problems for me and I'm running (4x16) 3600 cl16 G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB with a 3900xt

Try setting PBO Fmax to DISABLED. It defaults to AUTO, and it probably shouldn't given that The Stilt advised that some silicon won't be able to support PBO Fmax. Owners of those CPUs will, I guess, need to set it to DISABLED

If you've lost the silicon lottery then your setup might struggle to take advantage of the extra boost offered by PBO Fmax and restart instead

This has fixed my idle restart issues with my 4 sticks of non-QVL RAM - running at 4.0V and 3600

WhoSaidThat wrote:
Try setting PBO Fmax to DISABLED. It defaults to AUTO, and it probably shouldn't given that The Stilt advised that some silicon won't be able to support PBO Fmax. Owners of those CPUs will, I guess, need to set it to DISABLED

If you've lost the silicon lottery then your setup might struggle to take advantage of the extra boost offered by PBO Fmax and restart instead

This has fixed my idle restart issues with my 4 sticks of non-QVL RAM - running at 4.0V and 3600

I could totally see this being a problem. Should probably default to off honestly. My CPU rates bronze and if I try to OC it much past PBO Fmax levels it'll fail almost immediately.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Oblivionxt wrote:
Well, I thought I was lucky, as my issues were less severe using BIOS 2xxx.

Running 4 x 8 Team Group Xtreem 4500 (at 3800 cl 14). Not on the QVL, but others have similar issues using 4 DIMMS of approved RAM.

Here's my progression of issues:

2103 - With this version I only had one issue going from two DIMMS to four. When rebooting, the POST hangs up with a 01 or 1F code and requires the reset button to be pressed.

2204/6 - The last issue persists, but with the first four or five flashes of these versions I lost communication with my case USB 3.0/3.2 headers, power only. I regained USB functionality inexplicably with a later flash...

New 2311 - With the latest BIOS, I now get to experience the random crashing that so many others running 4 DIMMS enjoyed on older versions. I'll try cranking the DRAM voltage to see if it has any effect...but this is getting old really fast.

How can ASUS make a BIOS that just can't run the advanced features we paid for on four sticks? Bleh.

Best results are obviously still found with a ratio of 1:1 for FCLK. Many CPUs will not be able to run 3800MHz at 1:1. Moreover, those modules might not be able to do CAS 14 on that platform at that frequency.

There are a lot of unknowns in your situation, you should probably look to dial back latency and frequency to a point your CPU sample is more comfortable at operating. All of your issues could quite easily be attributed to instability.

CAS14 3733 4x8GB (GSKILL 4266C17)

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

CH8 – Bios 2311 running AGESA V2 PI 1.1.0.0 PatchB
SMU Firmware Version 46.65.0

PBO Enabled, Enabled, rest AUTO .... OMG sweet !
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34432151
CB20 Screenshot & Aida64 https://imgur.com/a/TLRfFii
CB15 Screenshot https://imgur.com/a/zy7Y1fD

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4296057 I just outperformed the leaked 5900x multicore score https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4247508 ... strange (makes me think we have more raw power to see from it). Also proves single core speed of the 5900x is significant improvement over my 3900x.

4.641 single core... 4.35 avg all core
CB20 MC Score 7533 SC 521

Another stable ASUS bios release that hit CL14 on 4xRAM 1:1 divide IF 1900.

Well I solved the problem for me on 2311 at least. PBO is absolutely not an option with these 4-DIMMS. On 2-DIMMS I can configure any setting any way I want.

This setup has always been stable on 2103.

Lucky for me, I usually just run an all core OC. I noticed when setting up my boost profile (no OC multiplier) the crashing was almost instant after getting to windows, now with the all core OC and PBO set to disabled, there are absolutely no issues.

All Core OC 3600 to 4.2 Ghz, CB r20 ~3830.

I still find it strange that PBO would not only cause crashes, but would also crash the system with manual multipliers and voltages selected when PBO is on auto.

purecain
Level 9
Anyone thinking of updating their bios to the latest 2 revisions need to think carefully if they use more than 2 sticks of ram. My system simply no longer functions as it did. I have a black keyboard with no lights functioning and can not change hardly any memory settings in the bios without the pc refusing to boot with an F9 code.

Im looking for suggestions on a solution. Flashing an older bios has not returned functionality and i now have the keyboard bug the new bios was meant to fix. I did not have any issues.
So dissapointed in asus and amd.
AsusCrosshairHeroVIII - 5950X
32Gb G.Skill RGB Trident 16gb3466Mhz B-Die + 16gb4266Mhz B-Die
Asus Tuf RTX3090
1TbSamsung960EVO M.2 1TbSamsung850EVO SSD Seagate2TB/3Tb CorsairForceGt 64gb
Seasonic Focus1000w 80+ Gold
Thermaltake Core X71 Tempered glass side panal

xeizo
Level 12
I had some USB problems with the latest AGESA 1.1.0.0 bios for the B550-F, after testing lots of things I found out the new bios needs higher VDDG than what was needed before. Just raising VDDG with 30mV cured all problems and everything is rock stable again. 3800MHz mem 1:1:1.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850