cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus please allow us to undervolt again or at least let us download earlier BIOSes

Hisuiiki
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I recently bought the G512LV and it came with v306 for it's BIOS. While that version allows me to undervolt with -80, it's not nearly enough as it only increases frequencies but does not reduce temps. I also can't undervolt in Windows with neither XTU or Throttlestop. The laptop runs hot and I and surely many other would like to reduce their temps without having to open up the laptop and change the LM application and void their warranty at best and at worse completely fry their machines.

Older BIOS versions are regularly being removed from their download pages and I am afraid to update the BIOS in fear of the new version completely disabling undervolting. Some other G5xx models actually have their older BIOS version available for download but mine does not. I find this extremely weird! I have to block WU from forcibly updating the BIOS. You can either completely allow us to undervolt with no restrictions or put a disclamer informing us of the risks. Or allow us to download earlier BIOS version if that can help. Many of us don't really care about Plundervolt especially compared to our laptops meeting and early grave from high temps. I only have a 2060 and I can only imagine how much worse it is for

Please allow us to fully use the full capabilities of the machines we pay a premium for!
8 REPLIES 8

KorosuKivy
Level 10
Hisuiiki wrote:
Hello everyone,

I recently bought the G512LV and it came with v306 for it's BIOS. While that version allows me to undervolt with -80, it's not nearly enough as it only increases frequencies but does not reduce temps. I also can't undervolt in Windows with neither XTU or Throttlestop. The laptop runs hot and I and surely many other would like to reduce their temps without having to open up the laptop and change the LM application and void their warranty at best and at worse completely fry their machines.

Older BIOS versions are regularly being removed from their download pages and I am afraid to update the BIOS in fear of the new version completely disabling undervolting. Some other G5xx models actually have their older BIOS version available for download but mine does not. I find this extremely weird! I have to block WU from forcibly updating the BIOS. You can either completely allow us to undervolt with no restrictions or put a disclamer informing us of the risks. Or allow us to download earlier BIOS version if that can help. Many of us don't really care about Plundervolt especially compared to our laptops meeting and early grave from high temps. I only have a 2060 and I can only imagine how much worse it is for

Please allow us to fully use the full capabilities of the machines we pay a premium for!

I have the same model laptop and I don't have heating issues purely because of the cooling pads and maintaining a cool ambient temperature in the room I use it in. The manual does state that these bad bois cook in high ambient temperatures so if your house is naturally in the 30c range expect it to overheat. the bios will NOT be getting unlocked for XTU adjustments until asus are 100% certain there are no risks to the public. almost 90% of us don't use SGX integration software on our laptops but it only takes a few people to open up a class-action lawsuit especially since its personal and security data that can be accessed that could face millions in damages. if you don't like that go elsewhere no one is stopping you to refund your product and get something else but know this its the same for every other manufacturer just to different degrees.

If there's an option to load unlocked BIOS (or settings in it), stating clearly it's under you own risk, not holding Asus responsible, what law suit are we talking about?! Give the client chances not restriction. It's a possibility to attract more customers.

AtGrigorov wrote:
If there's an option to load unlocked BIOS (or settings in it), stating clearly it's under you own risk, not holding Asus responsible, what law suit are we talking about?! Give the client chances not restriction. It's a possibility to attract more customers.

it would be a class action, technically someone could file a class action for Asus taking no action to resolve this but it needs to be proven in court and the more people that have this issue the more validity it has but the same if for the reverse. Asus defence would be that they're following the guidelines from their chipset supplier intel in this case and thus it wouldn't win regardless.

Technically you do have a choice with older models but for newer models these restrictions will be the norm till intel fix the security flaws from undervolting their chips

KorosuKivy wrote:
it would be a class action, technically someone could file a class action for Asus taking no action to resolve this but it needs to be proven in court and the more people that have this issue the more validity it has but the same if for the reverse. Asus defence would be that they're following the guidelines from their chipset supplier intel in this case and thus it wouldn't win regardless.

Technically you do have a choice with older models but for newer models these restrictions will be the norm till intel fix the security flaws from undervolting their chips

Ofcourse but if they release a BIOS in which by default the Plundervolt fix works and it takes more than one click to unlock voltages, it means you did it on purpose, despite Asus' warnings. So - in this scenario Asus are with clean hands and users are happy. It's all about right formulation of text in order to avoid lawsuits.

AtGrigorov wrote:
Ofcourse but if they release a BIOS in which by default the Plundervolt fix works and it takes more than one click to unlock voltages, it means you did it on purpose, despite Asus' warnings. So - in this scenario Asus are with clean hands and users are happy. It's all about right formulation of text in order to avoid lawsuits.

I'm not sure he understand what a Disclaimer is. As you said, if they release a BIOS with undervolting disabled by default and have a Disclaimer and a few clicks between undervolting being available and not, their hands are clean. Hell, they can even do it like MSI. Lock everything behind a key combination which allows you to access the more advanced settings. The moment you unlock the settings and click on their page, BOOM, a disclaimer pops up and warns you everything you do in that page can void your warranty and is done at your own risk! You click "I understand" and then their hands will be as clean as they can get and we will have the ability to utilize our machines at the best way possible! Asus not doing that is to me, them being lazy and once again completely ignoring their customers!

AtGrigorov wrote:

Totally agree with you, anyone that wants to go through the process of "Trying" to undervolt despite knowing what's going SHOULD be able to do this. It's not like we (as in enthusiast or gamers) that know the risks are going in blind, we know the risks, give us the ability to commit to settings that will make us happy and capable of doing what we need our laptops to do.

There are rabbit holes to this and since US/EU/UK/AUS/NZ/CHN/JPN have different laws relating to consumer protections that are mandatory under no exception especially when it comes to security and safety unless ASUS legal can work around this safely. (Especially since newer laptops will be locked out from undervolting permanently till 11th gen Intel cpus - Assuming they fix or remove SGX protection from their 11th gen cpu. On that note I honestly think all other intel chipsets are well and truly screwed with this problem.)

Older laptops can just roll back so not as limited but there are potential chances of being locked out if unsuccessful in rolling back a bios update but yea I'm sure "someone" will encounter that at some point (-_-)'. As to whether or not ASUS are ignoring its consumer base could be true but the likelihood is they're just as in limbo as us and are waiting for someone either from legal or technical departments push updates on this matter. I like to think this and not the fact they're not doing anything.

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
For 10th generation CPU models, we open certain range for users to modify.
This range has been tested and verified, exceeding this range will cause system crash.
So for stable performance and usage, please kindly adjust within the opened range.
Thank you very much.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Dear all,
For 10th generation CPU models, we open certain range for users to modify.
This range has been tested and verified, exceeding this range will cause system crash.
So for stable performance and usage, please kindly adjust within the opened range.
Thank you very much.

Does the latest v310 BIOS for the G512LV still allow undervolting?