cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula Sudden Shutdown --Bios 2311 Related?

Super_Gnome
Level 11
While playing a video the system just suddenly powered itself down. The screen went blank, the fans stopped, and nothing.

And in the event viewer there was absolutely nothing about it, but this:

The previous system shutdown at 7:45:48 PM on ‎10/‎26/‎2020 was unexpected.

Could this be because of the latest, very new Bios, or the new AMD chipset drivers?

Usually when this kind of thing happens you see something about it in the event viewer, but here, squat.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance for any input or thoughts.

This was the first time, and should it happen again, I will post here again.
8 REPLIES 8

Baio73
Level 8
Usually sudden shutdowns are related to CPU temps or PSU failures.
Can you list your complete configuration?

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Super_Gnome
Level 11
My CPU temps never go above 68 C with a 3950x and Kraken x62. Also, I do have two 2080ti cards in SLI, but my PSU is a 1200 watt one, which should be more than enough to power the whole system. Also, the demands of playing back a video are very low, and I have done much more demanding tasks for hours with no problems. The system is now six months old and this has never happened before--and even when the ambient temperature here was in the 30s C, as high as 35 C for hours, and with it now in the low 20s.

Any other ideas?

To see my system set up you can click on the specs tab and look at the parts to the right of the slash. The left is another system. But basically the above with a lot of fans and a very open case with high airflow. Also the 2080ti cards are turbo, and never go above about 55 degrees and blow the heat out the back of the case (which has industrial grade Noctua fans).

As for configuration, I have only set the memory and fans in the Bios. The memory settings are as per the memory timings, etc. and were the same with the previous two Bioses--and caused no problems. The fans are fine, and I monitor all of my temps with HWMonitor whenever my rig is on, and I eyeball everything regularly.

Also, thank you for your quick reply.

Baio73
Level 8
I'd rather look in other directions than RAM settings... RAM instability usually brings to BSOD, not to shutdowns.
Do you have more than one monitoring software? I remember at the very beginning of Zen2 platforms, using more than 1 monitoring software caused shudowns, in my rig there were iCue and AIDA, stopping using one of them solved the problem.
Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm strongly convinced it's not a matter of RAM.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Hi, i encoutering the same problems with ROG Crosshair VIII Hero after latest BIOS.

chrizzo2k19 wrote:
Hi, i encoutering the same problems with ROG Crosshair VIII Hero after latest BIOS.

Interesting. For about six months, with a Bios for a different Asus motherboard, I had the same, plus loads of BSODs. With the latest BIos for that board, the problems conclusively stopped. Also note, that with one Bios, at least a few users had extremely high, stuck CPU clock speeds and very high CPU temperatures, and as a result we all had to switch back to a previous Bios.

Regardless, let's see if anyone else reports the same. It is tempting to switch back to the most recent previous BIos, but let's see if we get more of these problems and if others report the same.

Baio73 wrote:

Do you have more than one monitoring software? I remember at the very beginning of Zen2 platforms, using more than 1 monitoring software caused shudowns, in my rig there were iCue and AIDA, stopping using one of them solved the problem.
Can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm strongly convinced it's not a matter of RAM.

Baio

I use HWMonitor only.

Thanks for the replies guys. 😄

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Just got a BSOD (a day after the above), the first one for this computer. The system ran perfectly otherwise since built, now about six months ago. At the time of this BSOD, I had literally nothing running but NZXT Cam. It was precisely upon hitting "Shutdown" on the Windows menu, and whether or not this is by chance is unknown.

Javi7269
Level 7
Super Gnome wrote:
While playing a video the system just suddenly powered itself down. The screen went blank, the fans stopped, and nothing.

And in the event viewer there was absolutely nothing about it, but this:

The previous system shutdown at 7:45:48 PM on ‎10/‎26/‎2020 was unexpected.

Could this be because of the latest, very new Bios, or the new AMD chipset drivers?

Usually when this kind of thing happens you see something about it in the event viewer, but here, squat.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance for any input or thoughts.

This was the first time, and should it happen again, I will post here again.

This morning this happened to me for the first time ever on my system.
I was surfing this forun and PC has suddenly shut down and after a few seconds, started again itself.
Only monitoring software is NZXT Cam.

My PC specs. are:
Crosshair VIII Formula - Last Bios2311
Ryzen 7 3800X
2x8 GB Ram GSkill Neo 3600 Mhz. 16-16-16-36
Main Drive Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME Gen4
Secondary HDD Seagate Barracuda 8TB
GPU ASUS TUF Geforce RTX 3080 OC
PSU Asus ROG Thor 850 W

Any of you that have shutdown issues apply voltage tweak cos x570-e also got new bios it seems to apply a voltage tweak by it self its using far less voltage runs far cooler and clocks much higher with new records in cinebench, so voltage tweak you had before may not be stable anymore