cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with RAMPAGE VI EXTREME / i9-7980XE / GTX 1060 / CMK32GX4M2Z2400C16

IAMPIRUS
Level 7
Hello Everyone,

I'm writing this post because I'm struggling to understand why my PC is getting an annoying issue that seems to come back over and over.

The configuration is the following:

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME Rev 1.xx Bios 3105
Intel Core i9 7980XE
128 GB Corsair CMK32GX4M2Z2400C16
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (GP 106-400)
Samsung SSD NVMe m2 850 pro

Windows 10 pro 1809

The Bios is set all in auto so no overclocking in place.

I tried to update to the latest bios available to see if the issue was fixed but I'm still have it.

Basically what is happening is that the PC remain in a sort of frozen status, no output in the video, not connected to the lan (no ping),you can press mouse and keyboard without have any effect, i also checked the windows logs and i can't find anything helpful to understand the issue.

All the drivers have been updated, i stress tested, CPU, Ram, Video card, full stress test , and no one showed any sort of issue.

Temperatures are fine, CPU got the water block on it, and also the mini display on the mainbord seems working normal showing temperatures and no erros.

It can happen when is in idle , or when no one is logged, happened also when it was on a render manager (Deadline10) and rendering in maya or nuke. The only thing that you can do is manually reboot it.

I tried to check bios settings as well following some advices from the forum here but the issue is still happening, it was happening with the old bios (2/3 version before) as well.

Does anyone have some advices on how to fix this issue?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Pirus
11 REPLIES 11

restsugavan
Level 13
How long had been your setting up purchase ? If not over 30 days on refund time I'd like to recommend you to exchange CORSAIR kits to GSKILL DRAM.

3 years ago I use GSkill 64GB DDR4 3200 kit with XMP Profile working with no any issued since Windows 7 to Windows 10 2021 H2 Insider Preview Build 20241.1005.
W11CANARY 26080.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.76 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Int8bldr
Level 11
IAMPIRUS wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I'm writing this post because I'm struggling to understand why my PC is getting an annoying issue that seems to come back over and over.

The configuration is the following:

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME Rev 1.xx Bios 3105
Intel Core i9 7980XE
128 GB Corsair CMK32GX4M2Z2400C16
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (GP 106-400)
Samsung SSD NVMe m2 850 pro

Windows 10 pro 1809

The Bios is set all in auto so no overclocking in place.

I tried to update to the latest bios available to see if the issue was fixed but I'm still have it.

Basically what is happening is that the PC remain in a sort of frozen status, no output in the video, not connected to the lan (no ping),you can press mouse and keyboard without have any effect, i also checked the windows logs and i can't find anything helpful to understand the issue.

All the drivers have been updated, i stress tested, CPU, Ram, Video card, full stress test , and no one showed any sort of issue.

Temperatures are fine, CPU got the water block on it, and also the mini display on the mainbord seems working normal showing temperatures and no erros.

It can happen when is in idle , or when no one is logged, happened also when it was on a render manager (Deadline10) and rendering in maya or nuke. The only thing that you can do is manually reboot it.

I tried to check bios settings as well following some advices from the forum here but the issue is still happening, it was happening with the old bios (2/3 version before) as well.

Does anyone have some advices on how to fix this issue?

Any help will be really appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Pirus

Sounds very similar to a problem I and others have had with the R6E board. In our case, it was related to that the right side memory banks are unstable and
solution was to ONLY populate the left side memory slots.

Try it and see if that helps.

Read more about that here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120837-3105-freezes-when-using-XMP-settings

Thanks you for the help, unfortunately, the PC is couple of year old and have been given to me only now.

i got the 2nd pc with same components but with the ROG STRIX X299-XE as MB and it seems fine, no issue at all.

Do you advice o get a 4x32 certify vendor and use it on the left series or ram banks?

i will have a go to the bios setting properly and check them.

Really apprecitated the help.

I tried to check the bios but I couldn't find the XMP settings.

Pretty sure those kits support XMP 2.0.

It can be linked to the fact that all the slots have been filled and 4 kits 2x16 have been installed?

Do you have any suggestion on how to set up the bios to have more stability?

The 128GB kit by corsair CMK128GX4M8A2400C14 is discontinued.

thanks in advance.

G75rog
Level 10
Gskill has a number of 64 & 128 gb kits available for x299.
DON'T MIX OR COMBINE KITS

G75rog wrote:
Gskill has a number of 64 & 128 gb kits available for x299.
DON'T MIX OR COMBINE KITS

I tried to scan the ram with RAMMon as well and the kits seems all having same chipset and hw specs.

Do you have a model number of a 128 GSkill kit still on sale that is compatible or in the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for the X299.

on the latest update of the vendor list, i can't see any 4 x 32 compatible kit.

Cheers

G75rog
Level 10
Newegg has a variety of Gskill x299 kits to sift through.
I'm not a shopping nanny, just pointing out a usable source.

G75rog wrote:
Newegg has a variety of Gskill x299 kits to sift through.
I'm not a shopping nanny, just pointing out a usable source.

Thanks for the hint. many kits in that vendor list are discontinued, this is why I was asking if anyone knew one that was still in sale.

Found a gskill one only and is 1500£ as discontinued product.

will carry on to search as asus assistance replied me that no 32gbx4 are in the vendor compatibily list. 😞