Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Megascrypt View Post
    Oh My definitely doesn't look appealing, but if it works for now until you can get your hands on replacement
    Actually scratch that idea. The vibration came back after about 20 minutes.

Currently trying to put pressure on the bottom of the shroud. So far so good. I'll update if things change.

This is the anti sag bracket included in the 011 dynamic. It's just a tiny bit short so i added a dime as a base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K5mWlEgl.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	87314

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by gooper23 View Post
    Actually scratch that idea. The vibration came back after about 20 minutes.

Currently trying to put pressure on the bottom of the shroud. So far so good. I'll update if things change.

This is the anti sag bracket included in the 011 dynamic. It's just a tiny bit short so i added a dime as a base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K5mWlEgl.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	87314
    Mine is in vertical position, yet rattles. Maybe the vertical position helps to eliminate some # of cards that are affected, but obviously not all of them. Although, the sag might be partially to blame I think the root cause could be elsewhere as well.

I have installed that card in my STH10 horizontally and to a naked eye it looks perfectly straight, Asus did a good job with the reinforced bracket, it does make the whole card sturdier, but it appears that something else triggers the vibration, regardless of the card position.

Btw. The purple color on your RGB card looks awesome and the white rubber anti-vibration corners on the chromax fans looking great.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 20201117_235357.jpg  

Last edited by Megascrypt; 12-25-2020 at 12:31 AM.

New ROGer Array

Reposting my fix from the 3080 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hi_am_muza View Post
    I fixed my rattling at 62-66% speed issue completely. Always happened when I was running a certain compute workload and could recreate the issue repeatably.

Using sag supports, doing vertical case or mount, or applying pressure elsewhere partially fixed it but it arose again when the card was loaded differently.

Now it's gone everywhere.

I Cut three 2x2cm pieces of paper towel.

Then folded 3 times each to make small rectangles.

Using tweezers poking through the blades and without disassembling the card, I shoved them firmly under these plastic pieces that hold the fans, once for each of the three fans until I saw the plastic part lift a little.

It is important that whatever you put in there is fairly tight to put tension/load on the fan mount like a spring, and to prevent the shim from possibly falling out over time.

That raised the fans away from the fin stack.

I tested by tapping the middle of the fan with my finger. Before it would make a clicking sound like something was loose. Now it makes a muffled solid "thunk".

Shimming the middle fan stopped nearly all of the high pitched rattle and changed the pitch to a barely audible duller one.

Shimming all three fans stopped all rattle in all load scenarios. Now I only hear regular fan and air noise.

tfw a piece of paper towel fixes a $850 USD flagship graphics card. YMMV.

Cutaway
    Last edited by hi_am_muza; 12-26-2020 at 04:59 PM.

New ROGer Array

Updates on EU/UK cases

@blake any updates please?

At this kind of premium product I would expect a more involved response. Appreciate the acknowledgement of the issue, but we need an official solution that does not involve DIY solutions and pushing combustible materials near heat/electrical sources as suggested by fellow members who are trying to find a solution in lieu of a response.

Thanks in advance.

ROG Member Array

It's actually quite disappointing about how silent ASUS has been about this issue. This is literally one of the most expensive variants of the Ampere line and yet the support given is abysmal. I will definitely think twice about purchasing ASUS moving forward.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by cerbie80 View Post
    @blake any updates please?

At this kind of premium product I would expect a more involved response. Appreciate the acknowledgement of the issue, but we need an official solution that does not involve DIY solutions and pushing combustible materials near heat/electrical sources as suggested by fellow members who are trying to find a solution in lieu of a response.

Thanks in advance.

The official solution will be when eventually they reply to us about having to send the cards back in for the service and they will most likely replace the full shroud. What scares me about that is that will they even other to test the new one, or just get same PCB back with a new shroud which hopefully does not have the issue.

On a more positive note, I don't recall any of the newer cards (since a month or so) having issues (i've look on the net for issues), so hopefully the issue has been resolved and was down to bad first few batches.

But yes, the silence is appalling, we all want silence, on the card, not about the issue

Whats sad is that some of us (myself included) had to spend more to buy more sag holders/brackets to at least get rid of some of it, so compensation would be great too, also sad I have to reduce the power limit and don't let the card boost as high so it does not reach the temps that cause the buzzing :-(
    Last edited by curthard89; 01-04-2021 at 11:03 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by curthard89 View Post
    The official solution will be when eventually they reply to us about having to send the cards back in for the service and they will most likely replace the full shroud. What scares me about that is that will they even other to test the new one, or just get same PCB back with a new shroud which hopefully does not have the issue.

On a more positive note, I don't recall any of the newer cards (since a month or so) having issues (i've look on the net for issues), so hopefully the issue has been resolved and was down to bad first few batches.

But yes, the silence is appalling, we all want silence, on the card, not about the issue

Whats sad is that some of us (myself included) had to spend more to buy more sag holders/brackets to at least get rid of some of it, so compensation would be great too, also sad I have to reduce the power limit and don't let the card boost as high so it does not reach the temps that cause the buzzing :-(
    To be honest I would personally really much prefer not to have to send my card in for a shroud refit - I am happy to do this myself and it is quite straightforward. Also sending my card in would leave me without a graphics card for (most likely) weeks which would represent an unacceptable loss of productivity to me.

If fitting a shroud ourselves in not an option, an advanced replacement would be fine in that regard. I could not do that with a retailer and there is an ongoing issue with availability but for over £1700 worth of card from a partner retailer (not scalpers) I do expect the company to stand behind their product. One way or another we need a definitive answer soon. Depending on your individual location/country you may have different customer protection laws, so time could be of the essence.

I like Asus as a vendor that builds good quality hardware and I like my card, noise aside. I am trying to be patient but I need an indication that this is taken seriously and we, as customers, will be taken care of and so far there is little in the way of any reassurances.

Also I wonder what the legal complications would be if certain people in their attempt to silence their cards end up pushing combustibles into what amounts to be a 500W heat source and god forbid this leads to a fire and property damage or worse. Pretty sure that won't be a good PR day for anyone.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by cerbie80 View Post
    To be honest I would personally really much prefer not to have to send my card in for a shroud refit - I am happy to do this myself and it is quite straightforward. Also sending my card in would leave me without a graphics card for (most likely) weeks which would represent an unacceptable loss of productivity to me.

If fitting a shroud ourselves in not an option, an advanced replacement would be fine in that regard. I could not do that with a retailer and there is an ongoing issue with availability but for over £1700 worth of card from a partner retailer (not scalpers) I do expect the company to stand behind their product. One way or another we need a definitive answer soon. Depending on your individual location/country you may have different customer protection laws, so time could be of the essence.

I like Asus as a vendor that builds good quality hardware and I like my card, noise aside. I am trying to be patient but I need an indication that this is taken seriously and we, as customers, will be taken care of and so far there is little in the way of any reassurances.

Also I wonder what the legal complications would be if certain people in their attempt to silence their cards end up pushing combustibles into what amounts to be a 500W heat source and god forbid this leads to a fire and property damage or worse. Pretty sure that won't be a good PR day for anyone.
    I asked Blake on a DM, he confirmed the cards will have to be sent back, as like you, I am happy at just replacing it myself, I would be happy to open my card up to see what the issue is, but don't want to void the warranty on it, so waiting for Asus to sort them.

If you are like me and from the UK, UK law states the manufacture has to completely at no cost to me sort the issue out, consumer law states for uptown 6 years for the products life if it's faulty.

So under absolutely no circumstance must a cost be incurred to me, that includes postage and labour.*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by curthard89 View Post
    I asked Blake on a DM, he confirmed the cards will have to be sent back, as like you, I am happy at just replacing it myself, I would be happy to open my card up to see what the issue is, but don't want to void the warranty on it, so waiting for Asus to sort them.

If you are like me and from the UK, UK law states the manufacture has to completely at no cost to me sort the issue out, consumer law states for uptown 6 years for the products life if it's faulty.

So under absolutely no circumstance must a cost be incurred to me, that includes postage and labour.*
    JFYI doing such a simple task yourself should not be an issue - my understanding is that ASUS is happy to and confirmed that they will honour warranty in cases where customers choose to watercool their cards (which is more involved than simply removing the shroud, as it includes cooler removal, repasting, etc) as long as in the event of a fault/return the client can reinstall the original shroud. Obviously the warranty would not cover any damage a client potentially did to the PCB, but if you have not caused any damage and dealing with any kind of manufacturing defect, your rights/warranty are not affected.

Also, I appreciate there may not be postage/labour costs incurred, but what about the inconvenience of not having a graphics card for god knows how many weeks? With the current hardware shortages it may become impossible to find anything else remotely relevant in stock if you need anywhere near that spec for work for example. I would also say that buying a graphics card to be able to use your machine while your ~2k card is being repaired is a bit of a problem too.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by hi_am_muza View Post
    Reposting my fix from the 3080 thread.
    This works for me! Now the noise is gone. Ty!

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast