ROG Enthusiast Array TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    TheOnlyDoor PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS ROG Strix Hero III
    MotherboardASUS Z390 Maximus Hero XI (WiFi)
    ProcessorI9 9900k @ 4.9 (all core no AVX offset)
    Memory (part number)32 GB Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3200mhz
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 2080Ti FTW (+100 core/+900 mem)
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ 27inch 4k HDR
    Storage #1Samsung 960 pro M.2 2 TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair h115i
    CaseNZXT Phantom (White) Full ATX
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i 80+ platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Steel Series 840 wireless Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad Star Citizen Anvil Areospace 32 inch gaming pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech stereo speakers
    OS Windows 10 pro 64 bit
    Network RouterVerizon Quantum Gateway
    Accessory #1 HTC Vive Pro

ASUS PG27UQ HDR Help needed please.

Greetings all,
    So over a year ago I purchased the PG27UQ HDR 144hz 4K monitor.
    I've basically left it at stock settings, except for changing the color gamut to wide. HDR off in windows.
    I gave up trying to use HDR in games that support it because either everything is washed out in the game except those parts using the HDR( like Red Dead Redmption 2. The sun's HDR utilization is obvious but everything else is bland next to SDR rgb) or the HDR functionality is blown up to ridiculous levels and can't be used either ( Doom Eternal).
    The other issue is, blocky color banding in dark seen in movies and game cut scenes ( even in really dark areas of games themselves) whether in HDR or SDR).
    So like I said I've been playing this way for over a year, having just settled I guess, but after getting a 3090 and over clocking and benching etc...I decided to revisit this because with the hard ware I have I want the best picture and experience I can.
    I have Nvidia color settings on ( windows settings dont seem to make any difference) 10 bit, full spectrum ect.
    All that as a prefrace......can any expert help me?
    Why does HDR look like trash compared to wide gamut in SDR.
    Whats with the blocky ( and greenish blue tint) to dark areas in games and movies? ( turning off the variable backlight reduces most most of this but washes out the blacks and defeats the main function and cost of this monitor).
    Any help is appreciated, since I can't seems to find a good answer anywhere here or on the internet( though many have asked, every answer seems to be a guess and a wrong guess).
    ......and NO expert review for this monitor mentions any of this. Just a flawless experience and praise for this monitors color reproduction and HDR in the reviews.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Cheers.