cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GT-AC5300 dropping some wifi and slow interface

leusipher
Level 7
I recently moved and am having some new issues with this router. In my old location the majority of my devices (not all) were hardwired. I never had any issues with the router. At my new location (at least temporarily) all but one device is wifi. It varies but there are around 10-20 devices that can be connected at the same time.

What is happening is I start hearing complaints of the wifi going out. Devices on all three bands will begin to drop but not necessarily everything. The wired LAN stays active without issue. When I get into the router's interface it is running extremely slowly. It can take 30 seconds to a minute to change pages when I click. If I tell the router to reboot everything will come back up fine for a couple days then it happens all over again.

Thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3

rob_angel
Level 7
leusipher wrote:
I recently moved and am having some new issues with this router. In my old location the majority of my devices (not all) were hardwired. I never had any issues with the router. At my new location (at least temporarily) all but one device is wifi. It varies but there are around 10-20 devices that can be connected at the same time.

What is happening is I start hearing complaints of the wifi going out. Devices on all three bands will begin to drop but not necessarily everything. The wired LAN stays active without issue. When I get into the router's interface it is running extremely slowly. It can take 30 seconds to a minute to change pages when I click. If I tell the router to reboot everything will come back up fine for a couple days then it happens all over again.

Thoughts?

maybe your router suffer from overheat... maybe the locations of your router has no enough ventilation. mine is working now after suffering from power failure. every time we have power interruptions i have to reflash the firmware but after a few days rest for my router it backs to normal. now i can turn it off with ease and turn it on without having to worry that the routers wiil not work until reflash is done...

ahfoo
Level 13
leusipher wrote:

Thoughts?

This happen to all device connected? 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?, if this happened only on 2.4Ghz, it shown your area are too congested with the 2.4Ghz frequency. Or Your positioning of your router.

David_31262
Level 7
leusipher wrote:

Thoughts?

Sigh, I have this problem too.
I've been assuming it's related to what's being discussed here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?120003-GT-AC5300-Firmware-3-0-0-4-384-82037

Frustrating.
I've tried downgrading to 81974 with a full reset and manually reloading settings (PITA).
No help.

Tried enabling daily reboots, but it didn't really help, and some devices require a power cycle to reconnect. More PITA.

I read somewhere that we should stay away from these special edition "Hi-Performance" (e.g. ROG) routers because the distribution is much smaller and the support lacking. Sad.

At this point, I agree with that statement.

Might have to break down a jump to a new router. And this puppy was crazy expensive.