cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak Monitor causing framerate drops

Crysto
Level 7
Well one re-install and one restore of Windows later I can report that GPU Tweak's Monitoring overlay (both Widget and Standard) is causing severe frame rate drops each time it updates.
After noticing gameplay smoothness feeling horrible, I tested using Heaven benchmark, BF3 and Project CARS - all of which were showing similar signs.

TL:DR - if you have GPU Tweak's Monitor anything other than closed, you will be hit with a frame rate drop each time it updates.

For those of you that love graphs - here is a frametime graph for a 10second period. (from top to bottom) Monitoring off, Monitoring on (1sec interval), Monitoring on (3sec interval)

3 REPLIES 3

el_terrible
Level 8
oh really? I have been getting random spikes every now and then when i'm gaming but I never figured out what was causing it... i never suspected the gpu tweak monitor beeing the problem.. guess i'll try to disable it for a few days and see what happens.

Disabling the monitor doesn't have anything to say safety wise, right? I use Real Temp watching my GPU temperature anyways and I have the fan settings on User Define.. it will still change every time it hits certain temps even though I have the Monitor program disabled, right?

The program seems to operate as normal if you close the monitoring tab and leave the GPU Tweak app open. Alternatively, just install MSI Afterburner and you can see the same things, with none of the frame rate losses.

el_terrible
Level 8
but you can't tweak the Matrix Platinum gtx 580 with afterburner... I really wanted to use afterburner but I can't tweak fan controls or anything, so my card gets way too hot... If afterburner was a option I would change a long time ago from this bad beta program....