cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Flare changing profile on it's own

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi there guys.

I bought this keyboard about a month ago, and it has been great up until the last update in crate.

It has started randomly changing profiles on its own - happens a lot when I'm gaming, and it's starting to drive me crazy. I have found that using the lock/media/brightness keys and volume wheel at the top of the keyboard will also cause it to do it.

I have tried resetting all profiles to default in Armoury crate, as well as doing the hardware reset by holding down FN+ESC. I have also tried a fresh install of Crate, as well as reverting to a system image that was created when everything was working properly and none of this has fixed it. Crate says my system is up to date, and all my other devices are unaffected by this issue.

Here are a couple of short videos to illustrate what I'm talking about. Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated in them, but I honestly have no idea what has caused this, or how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/iZGdTKQk1GU (Part 1)
https://youtu.be/vILnN8TTbQQ (Part 2)

I would like to add that I had not played around with any of the profiles before this started happening. Any alterations to the profiles were in an effort to stop it doing this. I also don't use the scenario function of Crate. When I bought the keyboard, I just plugged it in, selected the Aura effect I wanted, and synced it with everything else - it worked perfectly! I have been able to use the lock/media/brightness keys previously and it's had absolutely no effect other than what they're supposed to do.

I'm guessing this is a firmware issue, but I'm lost on how to fix.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any help on this.

Edit: I thought I'd just try uninstalling crate and observing the keyboard's behaviour. With crate uninstalled, I can switch profiles manually and guess what! - Everything works perfectly again. I obviously don't have the use of Aura sync, or control over profiles etc if I want to modify anything, but it is no longer switching profiles on its own, and it doesn't switch profiles when I use the media/lock/light keys either! Looks like an error in Armoury crate itself is causing the keyboard to misbehave. I reinstalled crate again after using the uninstall tool to remove it, restarting, doing registry clean, and checking windows for intergrity violations. As soon as I restarted after installing crate, same issue again.

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 3.1.6.0
ROG Live Service 1.1.6.0
AURA Service (Lighting Service) 3.04.22
Armoury Crate lite service 3.2.4
ASUS AURA Extension Card HAL 1.0.24
ASUS Keyboard HAL 1.01.35
ASUS Mouse HAL 1.1.0.27
ASUS MousePad HAL 1.0.2.3
AacVGA 0.0.3.0
KingstonDram 1.0.28
AURA DRAM Component 1.0.54
ENE RGB HAL 1.1.28.0
PHISON HAL 1.0.6.0
Patriot Viper DRAM RGB 1.0.9.1
Patriot Viper M2 SSD RGB 1.0.6.3

cheers.
39 REPLIES 39

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
The mystery deepens...

I've been avoiding those media control keys to stop this problem from happening. I accidentally just used the volume wheel, and...

It didn't change profile or unsync itself!

I have tried all the keys that caused the problem before, and it's all working perfectly again. I have no idea what was going on, but the problem seems to have resolved itself.

Razer68
Level 10
InFAMAS-ONE wrote:
Hi there guys.

I bought this keyboard about a month ago, and it has been great up until the last update in crate.

It has started randomly changing profiles on its own - happens a lot when I'm gaming, and it's starting to drive me crazy. I have found that using the lock/media/brightness keys and volume wheel at the top of the keyboard will also cause it to do it.

I have tried resetting all profiles to default in Armoury crate, as well as doing the hardware reset by holding down FN+ESC. I have also tried a fresh install of Crate, as well as reverting to a system image that was created when everything was working properly and none of this has fixed it. Crate says my system is up to date, and all my other devices are unaffected by this issue.

Here are a couple of short videos to illustrate what I'm talking about. Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated in them, but I honestly have no idea what has caused this, or how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/GKfApnzcFN4 (Part 1)
https://youtu.be/0s9fypjxRE4 (Part 2)

I would like to add that I had not played around with any of the profiles before this started happening. Any alterations to the profiles were in an effort to stop it doing this. I also don't use the scenario function of Crate. When I bought the keyboard, I just plugged it in, selected the Aura effect I wanted, and synced it with everything else - it worked perfectly! I have been able to use the lock/media/brightness keys previously and it's had absolutely no effect other than what they're supposed to do.

I'm guessing this is a firmware issue, but I'm lost on how to fix.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any help on this.

Edit: I thought I'd just try uninstalling crate and observing the keyboard's behaviour. With crate uninstalled, I can switch profiles manually and guess what! - Everything works perfectly again. I obviously don't have the use of Aura sync, or control over profiles etc if I want to modify anything, but it is no longer switching profiles on its own, and it doesn't switch profiles when I use the media/lock/light keys either! Looks like an error in Armoury crate itself is causing the keyboard to misbehave. I reinstalled crate again after using the uninstall tool to remove it, restarting, doing registry clean, and checking windows for intergrity violations. As soon as I restarted after installing crate, same issue again.

Item Version
---- -------
Armoury Crate UWP App 3.1.6.0
ROG Live Service 1.1.6.0
AURA Service (Lighting Service) 3.04.22
Armoury Crate lite service 3.2.4
ASUS AURA Extension Card HAL 1.0.24
ASUS Keyboard HAL 1.01.35
ASUS Mouse HAL 1.1.0.27
ASUS MousePad HAL 1.0.2.3
AacVGA 0.0.3.0
KingstonDram 1.0.28
AURA DRAM Component 1.0.54
ENE RGB HAL 1.1.28.0
PHISON HAL 1.0.6.0
Patriot Viper DRAM RGB 1.0.9.1
Patriot Viper M2 SSD RGB 1.0.6.3

cheers.

Have the same problem but one thing I know is the drivers are haunting.
I have checked off the keyboard to avoid RGB being changed in Armory Crate.
Every gamer has suffered from small-screen videos

I just started my PC up, and put some music on. Adjusted the volume with the volume wheel, and the problem is back again!

Any advice from ASUS would be nice. Should I RMA my Keyboard, or do you guys know about this, and are you working on a fix?

Thanks.

I have the same problem. When I use multimedia keys or volume wheel it falls back to default profile. If you open Armoury Crate and move wheel or push multimedia buttons you can clearly see that Armoury left menu reacts on your movement. Please fix it. :confused:

Having the same issues. Volume scroller changes the profile to default, all media keys (including the brightness and windows lock key) changes the profile to default. Clicking FN+1-6 will change the profile on the keyboard, but eventually it changes back to default. and is no longer configurable.

Just piling on to say I'm having the same issue. If I use the volume wheel or any of the media/lock/brightness keys Armoury Crate switches my Flare to the default profile as well. Noticed within the last 2-3 updates.

Here's the interesting thing: if I'm not using Aura Sync, it will switch to default profile but leave my actual keyboard colour scheme settings unchanged - so I wouldn't notice the switch without looking at the Armoury Crate profile and seeing it consistently switch to default with my own eyes.

But if I'm using Aura Sync it knocks it back to the default profile like before but it switches the actual keyboard to the "Colour Cycle" mode which is not the actual default of "Rainbow." If I do Fn+Default on the keyboard itself it goes to factory Rainbow as expected - so it doesn't appear to be a corrupted profile on the device.

Something is up with Armoury Crate. I even uninstalled all of the Strix Flare stuff off my system rebooted and re-installed via Armory Crate - issue persists.

I'm sure a fix will happen eventually, I just hope it's soon. I liked controlling my media and retaining my Aura Sync settings at the same time.:D

skinned66 wrote:
Just piling on to say I'm having the same issue. If I use the volume wheel or any of the media/lock/brightness keys Armoury Crate switches my Flare to the default profile as well. Noticed within the last 2-3 updates.

Here's the interesting thing: if I'm not using Aura Sync, it will switch to default profile but leave my actual keyboard colour scheme settings unchanged - so I wouldn't notice the switch without looking at the Armoury Crate profile and seeing it consistently switch to default with my own eyes.

But if I'm using Aura Sync it knocks it back to the default profile like before but it switches the actual keyboard to the "Colour Cycle" mode which is not the actual default of "Rainbow." If I do Fn+Default on the keyboard itself it goes to factory Rainbow as expected - so it doesn't appear to be a corrupted profile on the device.

Something is up with Armoury Crate. I even uninstalled all of the Strix Flare stuff off my system rebooted and re-installed via Armory Crate - issue persists.

I'm sure a fix will happen eventually, I just hope it's soon. I liked controlling my media and retaining my Aura Sync settings at the same time.:D

Yeah, this is an annoying issue. You're gaming at night, and want to quickly turn down the volume a bit because you're concerned about your neighbours. You give the volume wheel a quick flick, and you get the distraction of your keyboard setting it's own random lighting profile. Next thing you know, you've just died because your keyboard took your attention, and you haven't saved in like 2 hours.

The urge to pull the USB and launch the keyboard across the room is overwhelming...

Please fix this soon guys, Please...

And it would be nice to hear from an admin. Just something like "Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into it" will do...

Im having the same problem but half of the keyboard just stopped ligthing after fn+esc (after disconecting the usb it came back), if i put only white i got always a key that doesnt turn white, i guess the led itself is fked?
If u find out some way to fix ur problem share with us

ramz0n wrote:
Im having the same problem but half of the keyboard just stopped ligthing after fn+esc (after disconecting the usb it came back), if i put only white i got always a key that doesnt turn white, i guess the led itself is fked?
If u find out some way to fix ur problem share with us

Will do, but this seems like a problem with crate, so.not.much to be done atm. Hopefully we'll hear something from an administrator soon. Kinda though we would have by now if I'm honest zbut nevermind. I know Rgb issues can be very complex; let's just hope it gets sorted soon.