Active DVI to HDMI Adaptor 120hz?

lou4612
Level 7
Hey guys I have the following hardware.

Asus G74S w/3DTV Play
3GB 560M GTX with HDMI only output
12GB RAM
2630QM

Hooked to a Asus VG278H via an HDMI 1.4 cable.

Since Asus made these laptops with no DVI ports I can't use monitor's 120hz.

So now Im only stuck with 1280X720p@60hz or 1920x1080p@23 or 24hz options.
To me 720 resolution looks like crap and I can't bear to play in 3d this way and the 1080p 23hz refresh rate is just too low.
I tried a DVI to HDMI cable with no luck still can't get 120hz as its not supported with HDMI and you can only get 120hz with Dual Link DVI.
I keep hearing something about active adaptors using a female DVI to male HDMI with a power supply, but has anyone actually solved this problem with one?

Im pretty bummed out I can't take full advantage with this monitor because Asus felt no need to give a "HARDCORE GAMING LAPTOP" a damn DVI port.
4 REPLIES 4

Giako
Level 7
Hello ...
Unfortunately you can not reach 120 hz unless you are connected via dual link dvi ...
I also bought a Benq xl2420t, and unfortunately or by connecting via cable or via hdmi adapter hdmi / dvi dual link, never reached the frequency of 120Hz, but still remained at 60hz ... then nvidia 3d vision only works if you connect PC to the monitor via dVI dual link ...
I am forced to sell the monitor: (
But if you buy a 3D TV (including those written in nvidia 3D vision), via hdmi 1.4 and the program that you say, you should do it ...
Asus G74sx-91328v 3D ~ GTX560M 3GB ~ 16GB Ram ~ 750GB 7200rpm ~ SSD Intel 520s 120GB ~

xeromist
It's not a limitation of the monitor's input, it's a limitation of the laptop's HDMI chip. It can't do 120Hz, with or without an adapter.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

love to know if anyone has figured out a way to get around this.....the g74sx has a vga port (although as far as i know it'd be slower) anyone? anyone? ferris bueller? anyone?

BrentJack
Level 7
Does it have a mini display port? If so try a mini display port to dual link dvi cable, startech does a good one