Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ryzen 5900x Crosshair Hero VIII troubles

ffletchs
Level 10
Just got a 5900x today, flashed (Before install) the latest 2402 beta bios

issue,
- CPU sometimes boost correctly(4.950 is highest I've seen) but seems to settle on 2.2GHz all cores and then its stuck on 2.2 ghz all cores ??

anyone else have issues?

ps also Ryzen Master says unsupported cpu ? 😄 latest version (EDIT* uninstall and reinstall of ryzen master fixed that but still stuck on 2.2ghz)
25 REPLIES 25

ffletchs
Level 10
duh, for some reason windows was on powersave plan after reinstall of chipsetdrivers ?? seems fixed 😄

You certainly snagged that CPU quick, how are you liking it?

criznittle wrote:
You certainly snagged that CPU quick, how are you liking it?

just installed it today, still trying to get my memory stable at correct settings, it wont even post on XMP profile

Memory is CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 32GB (4x 8GB), running it ad 3200 atm.
Not sure if its 5900x, had trouble with the last 2 bios'es with 3900x

Only thing I've tried to run is Cinebench15 single core, got a score of 254 bone stock, 3900x was around 205

ffletchs wrote:
just installed it today, still trying to get my memory stable at correct settings, it wont even post on XMP profile

Memory is CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18, Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 32GB (4x 8GB), running it ad 3200 atm.
Not sure if its 5900x, had trouble with the last 2 bios'es with 3900x

Only thing I've tried to run is Cinebench15 single core, got a score of 254 bone stock, 3900x was around 205

------------------------------------------------------------

This worked for me with my 3900X on BIOS 2311. YMMV:

Clear BIOS
Load BIOS defaults
Use The Stilt's basic changes to the BIOS settings:
AI Overclock Tuner - MANUAL
Performance Enhancer - DEFAULT

Then:

PBO Fmax - ENABLED
SOC/Uncore OC Mode - DISABLED. No more restarts while idling. These was causing Event ID 41 Critical Errors with Event ID 19 WHEA "Warnings" "Reported by component: Processor Core".
Change Power Plan from "Ryzen Balanced" to "Ryzen High Power". No more restarts while trying to sleep/wake. This was causing Event ID 41 Critical Errors without Event ID 19 WHEA "Warnings".

I've been stable for 3 days now, but I'm not sure how applicable the above steps might be to the new CPU's. Stuff has changed.

The bad news is I had to lose 2 of my 4 sticks of RAM and it's only at 3200 (not the previous 3733 with 4 sticks but PBO Fmax OFF), but it's at 14-14-14-14-28/1T…***so far***, and way better than the 2133 I appeared to be stuck at with 4 sticks.

The same settings seem to now be working for me on 2402, but my setup didn't like going straight to 3200 from BIOS Defaults (2133 for me). I had to go up in steps.

C8H WIFI, Ryzen 3900X, Noctua D15S, 2 x 8GB Viper Steel DDR4 4400 PVS416G440C9K (non-QVL for C8H WIFI), Corsair AX1600i, STRIX 2080Ti OC Gaming, ROG Xonar Phoebus, 3 x 2TB NVMe, 1 x 480GB SATA SSD, 3 x SATA HDDs, Silverstone FT02, Acer x27.

WhoSaidThat wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------

This worked for me with my 3900X on BIOS 2311. YMMV:

Clear BIOS
Load BIOS defaults
Use The Stilt's basic changes to the BIOS settings:
AI Overclock Tuner - MANUAL
Performance Enhancer - DEFAULT

Then:

PBO Fmax - ENABLED
SOC/Uncore OC Mode - DISABLED. No more restarts while idling. These was causing Event ID 41 Critical Errors with Event ID 19 WHEA "Warnings" "Reported by component: Processor Core".
Change Power Plan from "Ryzen Balanced" to "Ryzen High Power". No more restarts while trying to sleep/wake. This was causing Event ID 41 Critical Errors without Event ID 19 WHEA "Warnings".

I've been stable for 3 days now, but I'm not sure how applicable the above steps might be to the new CPU's. Stuff has changed.

The bad news is I had to lose 2 of my 4 sticks of RAM and it's only at 3200 (not the previous 3733 with 4 sticks but PBO Fmax OFF), but it's at 14-14-14-14-28/1T…***so far***, and way better than the 2133 I appeared to be stuck at with 4 sticks.

The same settings seem to now be working for me on 2402, but my setup didn't like going straight to 3200 from BIOS Defaults (2133 for me). I had to go up in steps.

Thanks I'll look into this, where can I find The Stilt's basic changes to the BIOS ? I'm too running 2 sticks atm and it seems very stable @3200, will try more to today.
Can someone confirm if Fmax is applicable and recommened for 5900x ?

*EDIT* CPU SOC voltage is much lower than 3900x, its running at ~0.9-1.0volts, 3900x was 1.08~1.1volts, SOC voltage is default lower on 5900x?

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-x570-crosshair-viii-overclocking-discussion-thread.172879...

He also added this later in that thread:

"So regarding the idle restart issue, aka "Event 41" problem:

Based on the testing, disabling option called "DF CStates" found in AMD CBS-menu (Advanced / AMD CBS / NBIO Common Options / SMU Common Options) should solve the issue.

The CBS-menu also contains a second C-State related option (Global C-State Control) that has some redundant functionality and can be used as well however, if this option is used it will negatively affect both the CPU power consumption and performance as well. Because of that, the "Global C-State Control" setting should remain at the default "Auto" setting, while the "DF CState" -setting should be disabled.

Unless the user encounters the idle restart symptom associated with the "41 code" events in the Windows Even Viewer, there is no need for the user to change this setting.

Both the problem and the fix are universal, and not either ASUS or Crosshair VIII specific."

Corsair ram is crap... RMA and get something decent

ffletchs wrote:
duh, for some reason windows was on powersave plan after reinstall of chipsetdrivers ?? seems fixed 😄

In advanced,

Extreme Tweaker -> Precision Boost Overdrive

PBO Fmax enhancer -> Enabled
Precision Boost Overdrive -> Enabled

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
5000 series chips with the right memory modules should be able to hit 1900FCLK and possibly higher. You may need to try as much as 1.15v VSOC depending on the CPU sample.

Have not experienced any idle instablity or boost issues on the 5950X personally.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090