cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second major crash in 2 weeks - won't boot now

GW2
Level 7
The first crack happened right at the beginning of my christmas vacation, BSOD on boot, then after trying a few fixes no boot into windows. Reinstalled windows just reinstalled most of my software and i went to search for a file i keep all of my useful unix utilities in pull up my D drive and search for command. After that the command folder minimizes and the whole computer stops working except I could move the mouse. I left it for 10 minutes and it didn't recover, alt-ctrl-del didn't work either and now it boots to the asus/intel screen and no further. I'm thinking warranty replacement unless you guys have some ideas on how I can fix it.

Thanks for the help, GW2.

P.S. Sorry for the run on sentences and poor grammar, I'm just a little frustrated.
4 REPLIES 4

GW2
Level 7
Well, now that I'm sure I've figured out the cause I'll post it here in case anyone else has this issue. I got my information from here http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/538244-g73jh-belly-up.html.

aswell as this conversation with Asus tech support
You're now talking to Garren from 'Notebook Technical Live Support' The topic is : Upon boot my computer hangs at the asus/intel screen F1 continues the boot.

Garren> Hello, how can I help you today?
Paul> He, My Asus G73JH-A2 hangs at the Asus/intel logo screen, if I press F1 the boot continues and I can use the computer as normal.
Paul> Why is this?
Garren> you have a error of some sort so the bios wants to tell you something is off
Paul> So should I trial and error my way through the hard drives and memory to rule them out?
Garren> its usually a fan running to slow I would check that 1st
Paul> erm... That's something I don't know how to check.
Garren> should be in the bios under hardware controll
Paul> Okay give me a second
Garren> okay
Paul> I don't see that anywhere in the BIOS
Garren> hum.... one moment
Paul> No problem
Paul> I took the hard drives out and it boots to an insert boot media screen, so I think it's one of the HDD's
Garren> yes it can be
Garren> you laptop doesnt have the fan option
Garren> so its not that
Paul> I think we've nailed it. Would Asus send me just a new hard drive? or do I need to send them my whole computer for warranty stuff?
Garren> I think you have to send the entire unit but I could be wrong I just help with their overflow you will have to call 888 678 2688 they can set up the RMA and also answer that question 100%
Paul> Thanks for the help Garren, it's been a pleasure.

It turns out the issue is a failing hard drive. The BIOS detects this and doesn't let the computer boot, in order to let the user know the computer needs to be serviced. Pressing F1 bypasses this warning presumably a feature designed for the technicians. Anyways upon pressing F! the computer boots normally and you can use it how you please. however it will do this every time. I figured out it was the hard drive when I pulled it out and it booted past the point it was getting stuck at without hitting f1.

Anyways if Asus won't send me a hard drive without me sending in the whole computer I'll just buy a new one, I'm not sending in a whole computer for a hard drive. I'll find out tomorrow if they'll do that. I hope this information is helpful so someone at some point so they don't have to go searching everywhere.

Chastity
Level 10
noted, thx for the PROTIP 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Hey, just thought I'd let you know all I had to do was tell asus windows said my hard drive was failing and so did seatools, and upon removing the hard drive the computer booted fine with a different one they are sending me a new hard drive and I need to send mine back when I get the new one. +1 for Asus customer service!

GW2 wrote:
Hey, just thought I'd let you know all I had to do was tell asus windows said my hard drive was failing and so did seatools, and upon removing the hard drive the computer booted fine with a different one they are sending me a new hard drive and I need to send mine back when I get the new one. +1 for Asus customer service!

Thats great, glad it's resolved.