cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to a subwoofer.

nuraman00
Level 7
I have a ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI).

How do I connect it to a SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer?

I tried connecting a RCA cable from the orange port on the on-board sound card, to the LFE port on the woofer.

Two problems.

One is that the cable doesn't stay firmly into the orange port.

The other is that the subwoofer makes a loud hum.

I also currently have a 3.5mm to red/white RCA cable going from the green port on the sound card, to my powered speakers.

Here is the manual for the motherboard:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO_WI-FI/E13834_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VI...
11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
The orange port is a 2 channel output just like the green port. It is the sub + center channel. So you should be connecting another one of those 3.5mm to 2xRCA breakout cables and only connecting one to the sub. I don't remember off hand whether sub is the "right" or "left" channel but you'll know when you have the correct one.

However, I don't know if there is a 2.1 mode in your audio control panel. If you set it to 5.1 you will get output from the sub channel but you won't hear any audio intended for the other surround channels. Often dialog is sent to Center so you might get really weird sound. In such a case you'd be better off using stereo output to your sub and then connecting your speakers to the sub.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Ok, I opened up SupremeFX and selected "enable bass management".

When I do the audio test, everything sounds right. Left Channel, right channel, subwoofer.

But when I play something, it doesn't sound right.

I even tried the setting to "swap center / subwoofer output" that's in the SupremeFX.

nuraman00
Level 7
You are right there isn't a 2.1 mode.

I set it to 5.1, then on the next screen, unselected center channel, and rear speakers.

Then it asks which speakers are full range. At first I unselected both front and subwoofer.

However it still didn't sound like it was using the sub.

So I went through the configuration again, and selected them both as full range.

It still didn't sound like it was using the sub.

Also, I tried connecting both RCA to the LFE inputs on my sub, as well as connecting only the red one.

It still didn't sound like it was using the sub.

I can hear the dialog and music, it just doesn't seem to be using the sub.

BTW, I am now on a PB-2000 Pro.

nuraman00
Level 7
I tried playing content that was in 5.1. I still barely hear my subwoofer when its connected to my PC.

Also, to clarify, whether I'm playing 5.1 content or regular music, I do feel my subwoofer moving when it's connected to my PC. It just barely produces sound.

I can verify that I am playing the 5.1 content correctly, because if I change my audio output device to my receiver (and connect the subwoofer to my receiver, instead of my PC), then the subwoofer sounds like it should.

I do think the fact that my Airmotiv 6s volume is set at 6/100 or 8/100, through my device speakers in windows settings, and yet that is still loud enough to fill the room, might have something to do with it.

Maybe if I were to increase that volume, then I'd also hear more sub.

However, I can't realistically do that, because a 10/100 or 12/100 is too loud, from my Airmotiv 6s.

The other thing that contradicts this, is that when I play the test tones, then the subwoofer sounds loud.

So that might mean that I don't really need to change the master volume.

HK-47
Level 10
You have to pass the audio to your speakers through the sub or if your speakers have rca out you use that to your sub.

3.5mm - > sub input - > sub output - > power speaker.

Or if your speakers have sub or rca output..

3.5mm - > power speakers - > speaker output -> sub input.

I connect my edifier speaker like this but i use fiber toslink to speakers then speaker sub output to sub with 3.5mm to rca.

Its better to pass audio through speakers first though. I don't know what type of speakers you have but mine have bluetooth and aux input x2. If you go through the sub first then the sub will only work with your pc only. If you go to speakers first then speakers to sub the sub will work with all audio sources.
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset

HK-47 wrote:
You have to pass the audio to your speakers through the sub or if your speakers have rca out you use that to your sub.

3.5mm - > sub input - > sub output - > power speaker.

Or if your speakers have sub or rca output..

3.5mm - > power speakers - > speaker output -> sub input.

I connect my edifier speaker like this but i use fiber toslink to speakers then speaker sub output to sub with 3.5mm to rca.

Its better to pass audio through speakers first though. I don't know what type of speakers you have but mine have bluetooth and aux input x2. If you go through the sub first then the sub will only work with your pc only. If you go to speakers first then speakers to sub the sub will work with all audio sources.

I have a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 6s.

They do not have outputs.

So, I would use the green port on my motherboard (ignoring the sub out port), --> sub input --> sub output --> speakers.

If I do that, will I have to power my sub every time, as well as power my speakers, to hear output? Or can I still hear sounds if I power on my speakers, but not my subs?

nuraman00 wrote:
I have a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 6s.

They do not have outputs.

So, I would use the green port on my motherboard (ignoring the sub out port), --> sub input --> sub output --> speakers.

If I do that, will I have to power my sub every time, as well as power my speakers, to hear output? Or can I still hear sounds if I power on my speakers, but not my subs?

Yeah green port -> to sub -> to speakers should work. Also most powered subwoofers that I have used have auto power on and off from signal input. Most the time they are setup in areas that are not easy to get to the power switch. I would hate to have to climb under my desk every time I want to use my sub LOL. So I would think you would be alright going to the sub first then to the speakers.
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset