cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Thor 1200W fanbearing noise and funky 0 db mode behavior

JonnyB1989
Level 7
I got my Rog Thor 1200 watt psu last friday and i'm noticing some issues:

1. The fanbearing makes some grinding noises, wich is annoyig and unaceptable for a 350€ psu. Heard of ballbearing or noctua fans?

2. The fan behavior with the 0dB feature is more than annoying, the fan each time when its turning on does a startupbost wich is over 40 DBa.
Making the 0 db feature useless. Is that normal behavior?

The psu i had before this pice of grabage, was a 860 Watt Seasonic Psu where the 0db fan didn't make the startboost, so it was quiet and the fan bearing was better too. The only thing that i had to change the psu is that the 860 Watt unit isn't enough for a Threadripper 3960X and a RTX 3090 OC.
2 REPLIES 2

EncodeGR
Level 9
I hear the same annoying bearing sound too.
Isn't it possible to swap the fan ? Cause i was thinking about it.

CarlsCar
Level 9
JonnyB1989 wrote:
I got my Rog Thor 1200 watt psu last friday and i'm noticing some issues:

1. The fanbearing makes some grinding noises, wich is annoyig and unaceptable for a 350€ psu. Heard of ballbearing or noctua fans?

2. The fan behavior with the 0dB feature is more than annoying, the fan each time when its turning on does a startupbost wich is over 40 DBa.
Making the 0 db feature useless. Is that normal behavior?

The psu i had before this pice of grabage, was a 860 Watt Seasonic Psu where the 0db fan didn't make the startboost, so it was quiet and the fan bearing was better too. The only thing that i had to change the psu is that the 860 Watt unit isn't enough for a Threadripper 3960X and a RTX 3090 OC.

#1 - The fan bearing noise isn't too bad on mine, although I do know what you're talking about. I have the 1200 and the 850, both suffer from this issue.

#2 - My 850 does not have this problem but the 1200 does... odd... I just leave the fan on all the time.

My 1000W Seasonic Plat was great at 0db however the fan was so loud... I've found the 850 to probably be the best as far as noise is concerned, however my 12V values that HWinfo reports says they are at 11.7/11.8 on my 3090 which is too low for my liking which is why I bought the 1200. It sits at 11.9/12/12 at full load on all 3 GPU 8-pin connectors.