cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
85 REPLIES 85

Shamino
Update of new Feature: Overclocking TVB:

OverClocking TVB is an extension of the TVB feature allowing you to customize frequencies according to temperature.
This, in my opinion, is a useful feature that milks the last bit you have got at light loads without requiring additional voltage. In a nutshell, it takes that 5~8C extra margin you’ve got, and converts it into additional frequency.
It is only supported on 10900K/non K variants atm, and maybe 10850K. IF unsupported, the information will display N/A
Everything TVB related is now grouped into the Thermal Velocity Boost menu:

At the top, it reads back the current configuration of the OCTVB.
For this to work properly, CStates must be enabled for proc to be active core aware! If you synch all cores, make sure you manually enable Cstates.
Active Cores refer to the row of settings applicable when that number of cores are active. Ratio Setting refers to the associated core ratio for that active core count. Temp A refers to Temperature A for that active core count above which the ratio would drop by it’s associated Ratio offset. This offset is the Negative Ratio Offset A pictured above. Temp B refers to Temperature B for that active core count above which the ratio would drop by a further 1x.
Let’s take a simple example below:

Right now Cpu runs at 50C and only core is currently active. Ratio is therefore 55x.
User does something, the active core gets hotter and becomes 72C, and still only 1 core active. Ratio now becomes 55-1=54x because 72c is > Temp A 68C and the negative offet is 1. If negative offset is 2 for eg, then it will become 55-2=53x.
And then, the user loads it further and now temperature is 82C. Ratio now is 55-1(from TempA) -1(from TempB) =53x because temp is > tempB of 78C and a further 1x is deducted. Temp B negative offset cannot be configured and is a fixed 1x.
Then the user does something different and now 3 cores are active. The applicable row becomes the third row in the picture above. CPU runs at 60C right now and so none of TempA/B has been exceeded, therefore ratio is the original 53x. then proc gets to 77C, TempA is breached, it’s associated offset is 3x so proc drops to 50X. Again it runs hotter still, gets to 87C. TempB is breached, proc drops a further 1x and ratio is now 49x. And the story continues…

Hopefully, this example is enough to explain.

The control is under Overclocking TVB, customize it using “Enabled”
When enabled, you get to customize the params for each row (each active core count) The Ratio, you configure it the main menu like you always do, whether you go with synch all cores (if you go with synch all cores pls manually enable cstates so that the proc can tell number of active cores) or by core usage it doesn’t affect this.

It can be very time consuming to customize it yourself, so we have made 2 predicted presets for you, the +1boost profile and +2boost profile

Just use it ON TOP of your current/maximized oc setting.
It will do an additional 1x/2x on top of your current setting and set auto-calculated temperature boundaries based on the associated frequency. This does not add voltage because it still uses the voltage before adding the boost and merely tries to scrap some performance from moments when there is thermal headroom.
So for example, I would load Ai optimized, then enable to +1boost. I find it stable, feel a bit adventurous, then I change it to +2boost and try.
Or my current OC is 54X @ 1.4v, I keep this and I just go into OCTVB to enable +1 boost. (if you go with synch all cores pls manually enable cstates so that the proc can tell number of active cores, or just use by core usage and set every core count to same value)

Shamino

Shamino wrote:
go to the OCTVB portion for pics to show up:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106375-MCE-explanations-and-others#post744768

bro the ram profiles?? for maximus XII extreme is it same as 098?? for dual and 4 dimm??
and does it have txp/ppd??

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

Shamino
sorry been some time, i think it is, i dont know for sure.
yes txpppd

Have anyone tested this new BIOS? Better or worse than 0088 for Apex?

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Testing now on my Hero 10700k. Has tcp/ppd, voltage caps and the OCTVB is available for the 10700k too.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I am running 5.1 GHz adaptive all-core with a custom VF curve. on a 10700k I stilll have the following problem: If I do by core and set 52 on some core count, Vf8 moves from an assignment of 51 multiplier to 52. This leaves the voltage of 51 as an interpolation between Vf7 and VF8, which forces me to raise VF7 in order to stay stable. This means I can't do by core with some at 52.

The same is true with OCTVB +1 - it shifts VF8 from 51 to 52.

Since 52 is turbo on a 10700k, shouldn't its voltage be controlled by additional turbo voltage instead of a VF point? I would expect setting anything above 51 should not affect the assignment of Vf8 (ie should leave it assigned to multiplier 51).

BTW thanks for the new BIOS!!

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Welcome back! Thanks for the detailed writeup, easy to understand and am glad for another knob to turn on CPU. Hopefully this new build performs better with DRAM also (referring to Z490-I crashes)

geneo wrote:
I am running 5.1 GHz adaptive all-core with a custom VF curve. on a 10700k I stilll have the following problem: If I do by core and set 52 on some core count, Vf8 moves from an assignment of 51 multiplier to 52. This leaves the voltage of 51 as an interpolation between Vf7 and VF8, which forces me to raise VF7 in order to stay stable. This means I can't do by core with some at 52.

The same is true with OCTVB +1 - it shifts VF8 from 51 to 52.

Since 52 is turbo on a 10700k, shouldn't its voltage be controlled by additional turbo voltage instead of a VF point? I would expect setting anything above 51 should not affect the assignment of Vf8 (ie should leave it assigned to multiplier 51).

BTW thanks for the new BIOS!!

hi
vf8 will always be the last pt, the max potential freq
if you dont have a pt there, how would u expect to be able to adjust v for your oc freq?
Since 52 is turbo on a 10700k, shouldn't its voltage be controlled by additional turbo voltage instead of a VF point?
yes it is controlled by additional turbo voltage AND VF point, it is the sum of the 2.
i dont see why raising vf7 makes 52x then not stable? just raise vf7 as needed, dont change the adaptive voltage u have set, dont adjust vf8 and let the pcu sort it out
the processor's PCU will compare the resultant of VF7 vs VF8 and apply VF8's resultant volt if its higher.