cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G53SX-S1208V

jerry_kulleh
Level 7
hello, i have a few question here.. i just bought Asus G53SX-S1208V last week, and i find that the spec is almost perfect for the game that i love to play. but i still have lagging problem, and i decide to upgrade my 4GB MEMORY up to 16GB.

A) Is it possible that the G53SX upgrade up to 16GB?

B) Do this change have any effect to my notebook?

C) is the warranty still cover after the notebook is modify?
4 REPLIES 4

Nirneath
Level 7
A) yes

B) Depends, but if you never exceed 4gb during your usage, I wouldn't recommend it. 8gb is actually enough for most hard-core gamers.

C) yes

Edit: Check post below for a deeper answer 🙂

Zygomorphic
Level 17
I own a different ASUS G53SX, and I run 16 GB of RAM in it. It is a lot of work to upgrade, but
(A) yes it will support 16 GB of RAM. The speed of the RAM is your call, but it should be at least 1333 MHz. The BIOS will spit out a message that system specifications have changed, and ask you to enter the BIOS to verify. All that should change is the list of the amount of RAM in MB. It should be 16384 MB for 16 GB of RAM.

(B) I have not noticed that much difference, except when I run VMs. It is very handy to have the 16 GB of RAM, so that a VM can have at least 4 GB to play in, but the host system still has plenty of memory. I originally had 8 GB of RAM in mine, and it was worth it to upgrade. For gaming, which I don't do much of, it may be iffy, but if you are going to go to all the trouble of opening the system--download the instruction manual! You might as well pack it to the gills.

While the system is apart, make sure (if you have the budget) to add a Seagate Momentus XT drive. The hybrid drive cuts boot times in half when compared with a 5400 RPM Hard Disk Drive, which is what most of the cheaper G53SX machines come with.

(C) ASUS manual says that the modification is not covered, but there is no danger to machine if you are careful. Just watch yourself when you take the machine apart, as many of the screws are tiny. If something happens to your machine, simply put it back to the factory setup--remove all user-modifications--and send it back for repairs.

In short, go ahead and upgrade. If your machine has only 4 GB, buy two sets of 2x4 GB 1333/1600 MHz RAM. I run 1333 MHz RAM, which is plenty fast for my needs, and it is what the system originally had. Assuming money is no object, go ahead and buy the 1600 MHz RAM, as it may run at the faster speed, which will improve your game performance. If it has 8, buy one 2x4 GB. The G53SX is a quad-slot config, which makes the 16 GB of RAM upgrade dirt cheap.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

wow!..thanks guys for the helpful replies..now i'm a bit more confidence to upgrade my beautiful asus G53sx..

cheers!..:D

you can upgrade all the way to 32GB, which i did with mine. it helps when i run VMs and adobe software like premiere cs5 (which uses all of the memory during rendering). if you're only upgrading for games, 8GB is all you'll really need. cheers!
G53SX-AH71:

• Core i7 2670QM
  • Nvidia GTX 560M 2GB
  • 32GB Corsair DDR3-1333
  • Intel 520 240GB SSD
  • Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HD
  • Intel 6230 802.11n Bluetooth 3.0
  • Panasonic Blu-Ray Burner UJ-240
  • Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit