cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with motherboard fan & pump speeds X399-E Rog Strix Gaming

iggy0978
Level 7
this build has been fine for almost 2 years now. This is a recent issue

Hey guys, I've been having some issues lately with fan speeds and pump speeds on my build. I have the EKWB D5 pump to run at full speed in BIOS and when I reset the computer it will show at 4700 ish RPM in BIOS and in HWInfo correctly.
I leave the computer on all night and just turn the monitor off. When I started working this morning the pump RPMs were stuck at 2710RPM with a Minimum of 776RPM and average of 2700RPM in HWInfo.

A reboot has the pump at full speed again. Now - I don't have a flow meter nor can I tell if the pump is going faster or slower (it's silent or close enough).
I want to say that I used to be able to hear the pump when I ran it at full speed or changed speeds in BIOS - but now it's always silent.
Is the pump failing do you think, or is it a monitoring issue? Blockage in the radiator?
I ran Furmark and increased temps on my coolant enough where something should have kicked up but the pump never budged at 2700 rpm until I reset the PC.

Day 2 - So - I changed the D5 pump to the W_Pump header and the rad fans to the CPU header yesterday.
Woke up this morning to radiator fans going at full speed - but the RPMS show them at 1028. Pump also shows a max speed at some point of the night at 15k plus. That's obviously incorrect. I'm not sure what is going on at this point - this seems to only happen overnight. While I'm using the computer all day working/editing/rendering/gaming everything operates as it should.

What I did notice is that my power scheme is resetting from Ryzen Balanced to Balanced in the middle of the night, due to Alienware Command Center. I'm going to uninstall it and see if that changes anything.
1 REPLY 1

iggy0978
Level 7
So some updates that I've tried.
Day 2 - RPM's seem to be reading correct on the fans at least - I stopped them by hand and it read at 0 - and started back up again to 1400RPM (but they should be at 1100)
Just set the BIOS to load optimized values instead of my DOCP settings for my RAM and will edit/work all day and see if I get wonky readings.
Day 3- Troubleshooting I reset the BIOS values to default settings with no OC, no DOCP for the RAM and standard fan curves.
This morning fans seem to be locked at like 1340 RPM. No amount of benchmarking - stress testing can make the fans go slower or faster. I can stop them by hand and they will read down to 0 RPM - however once they start moving again they will go back to the stuck 1340 RPM. Pump is still moving around 4700-4800RPM.
I'm at a loss.
A reset of the computer will always bring values and fan/pump speeds back to normal acting how they should.