cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha: BIOS 1201= Memory problems

Mappi75
Level 8
Hello,

i updated the bios from 1101 to 1201 via flashback (with using the reset bios button):

I'am using a 3970x which i used on a GB Aorus Extreme and 2x Alpha's with a G.Skill 128GB 3.200Mhz CL14 Kit (B-Dies).
This kit works EVERY time @3200 CL14 or @3600 CL16,

but with Bios 1201 HCI MemTest Pro Deluxe 7 runs every time in errors!

I changed the voltages and nothing worked!

Now i flashed back to v1101 and hci runs without problems!

Does someone have the same problem? Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

hubick
Level 7
My Zenith II Extreme has been randomly rebooting. I had upgraded to 1201, added a second GPU, configured IOMMU+VFIO, and switched from Windows to Linux, so obviously it's been really hard to know what the issue was. I'd be working, and *poof*, reboot. Then it would often go into a reboot loop, before I'd even get to the OS. I'm running all eight slots, with a total 128 GB of ECC (KSM26ED8/16ME), nothing OC'd. I tried updating to 1303, and at first it wouldn't even boot or let me back into the BIOS, just reboot, F2 screen, reboot, over and over - I tried safe mode, CMOS reset, nothing worked, until I pulled a single stick of RAM, then it came up all reset back to the ancient 0702 BIOS or whatever it was, prompted me to enter F1 for settings, and I was able to reflash back up to 1303, then inserted my stick of RAM again, and the system booted normally, and here I am! Will I continue to get random reboots? I guess we'll see. This has been a huge problem for me, and I've lost work. I figured upgrading my BIOS was the best bet at getting a working IOMMU setup, but if it turns out all this headache is due to Asus releasing a FUBAR BIOS release, I'll be mighty pissed and look elsewhere for future boards.

Edit: NOT fixed on 1303. System seemed to run okay for some hours. I decided to reboot so I could adjust the fan curves in the BIOS, which I forgot to do after resetting, and they were pingponging up and down like the crappy CPU temp sensor likes to. The system went into another reboot loop - it doesn't even get to where it lights up the monitor for the POST screen now. My whole system is dead in the water. I've ordered a laptop (not Asus!) to use until I can straighten this POS out.