cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix RTX 3080 OC: Blinking red leds

skittles123
Level 7
Hi all,

Sometimes, when I shut down my PC, all 3 leds of the power connectors start blinking red, this only happens at the moment when the power is off. I need to use PSU switch to make them stop blinking.

My PSU is a Corsair AX850, I use 3 separate PCIe cables, the card is running at stock with the latest bios.

Please note that I used the same PSU/CABLES/CARD on my previous system (Intel 4790K + MAXIMUS VII Ranger), before upgrading to a Ryzen 5950X + B550 Strix-E, and I never had this issue.

Thanks for the help.
20 REPLIES 20

m4dm4x
Level 7
skittles123 wrote:
Hi all,

Sometimes, when I shut down my PC, all 3 leds of the power connectors start blinking red, this only happens at the moment when the power is off. I need to use PSU switch to make them stop blinking.

My PSU is a Corsair AX850, I use 3 separate PCIe cables, the card is running at stock with the latest bios.

Please note that I used the same PSU/CABLES/CARD on my previous system (Intel 4790K + MAXIMUS VII Ranger), before upgrading to a Ryzen 5950X + B550 Strix-E, and I never had this issue.

Thanks for the help.

Same here. Latest BIOS. Power supply Seasonic Prime TX-850, 3 different cables(from the ones supplied with the PSU) direct from PSU no splitters.

No flashing while in operation/gaming.

Only happens after shutdown when PC is off, and remains like this even after power on.

Only way I found to resolve is to turn off power supply for ~30-60 seconds after shutdown.

I've posted about having the same problem with my 3090 Strix OC, also using a seasonic PSU (1000W Prime Platinum) and also using 3 completely separate pcie cables, and ALSO with the same behaviour of it occuring after I've had a full shutdown. Normally, shutting down, off at PSU and then letting it drain then starting up fixes it, but atm that's stopped working. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121624-Please-help-Blinking-red-power-LEDs-above-Strix-309...

I'm also currently enjoying another problem, with my Asus mobo (C8H) sometimes refusing to post at all with error code 77 and red LED. Tried checking thoroughly for any possible shorts from standoffs etc and couldn't find any, when I'm done moving I might try running it outside of a case altogether or something, but the problem might only occur once a week or less, so not really practical to keep it out that long. 😞

Can't help but wonder if the problem is the PSU or some interaction between Seasonic PSUs and Asus gpus/mobos, but either way it's a bit sad to have two pieces of ASUS kit that are top end not behaving at their best.

Glad to hear more people experiencing similar issues, sad for having those issues altogether.

I cannot really help about the motherboard issue, never had any other issues at all except the GPU red flashing exactly as your case, however;

I am in direct contact with Seasonic about the GPU red flashing PCI-E issue, so I'll keep this updated about the outcome.

I am using seasonic prime px 1000 with my rog 3080 Oc and I also encounter the red led flashing problem from time to time. It goes off 20 seconds after I switch off the psu. I thought I got a defect gpu or psw but I guess I am not the only having this problem.

I'm not sure which PSUs are the latest that can still handle the spikes of power changes before you run into issues, but speaking with Seasonic some of the 1000W PX and even 1300W gold have hard time and that will result in inadequate power delivery.

I got 3090 Strix and 1000 TX Titanium which is the newest of Titanium, I have also 1300W Prime Platinum and both works flawlessly without a glitch.
I would call your PSU manufacturer and ask directly whether your model of PSU is adequate.

To all the people with or without Seasonic power supplies who experience this issue during shutdown.

Do you have this issue on every shutdown?

Do you have the RGB leds of your STRIX 3080 or 3090 on or off?

Speaking for myself, this happens sometimes but only when RGB leds of my card are off. :confused:

I have enabled the RGB leds and kept it on for the last 2 days, and I have yet to experience the red flashing leds on shutdown.

Fingers crossed I will keep it like this and update you how it goes.

smithkid
Level 7
Same here. 3080 strix OC using Seasonic 1000w platinum with 3 cables on different rails. Red LED comes on intermittently and does not seem to affect performance and have to turn power off for it to revert. I have mentioned the problem elsewhere in the forums.

smithkid wrote:
Same here. 3080 strix OC using Seasonic 1000w platinum with 3 cables on different rails. Red LED comes on intermittently and does not seem to affect performance and have to turn power off for it to revert. I have mentioned the problem elsewhere in the forums.

Try disabling quick start in the BIOS and in Windows.

broncogr
Level 10
There is a new VBios out, updater V2.
Try it out from the support page