cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pink Matrix Like Scan Lines & Other issues - G74S

skiiirt
Level 7
I was browsing the internet when this happened (Sorry from crap cell phone pics)

The computer froze but the mouse still worked. Had to hold down the Power button

The computer is about 45 days old. I have updated all the drivers using the Asus utlity, as well as all the latest windows updates.

Next issue was when I tried to install a second HDD. I did not have the caddy nor did it come with the applicable connector. I have seen a few people ask but there have been no results. I found a link for the caddy but NOTHING on the connecting cable. I would really like to purchase these two items but without either of them it seems futile

Should I be sending this laptop in for repairs? My only issue is that it was purchased by my company for use on specific equipment. I need this computer to make $$. What is the fix and return turnover like? I will need to purchase another computer in the meantime. Which is not a very good solution but at this point my only solution if I want to continue working.
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
If you use Windows System Restore to undo the updates (particularly if the video driver was updated), does it resolve the video corruption and lockup issues?

If not, does the video corruption appear on an external monitor or LCD TV connected to the laptop?

If you uninstall the video driver from Control Panel, then reboot to allow Windows to install its Plug N Play VGA video driver, does it resolve the video issue? If so, boot into Safe Mode and try installing the NVIDIA 285.64 WHQL driver.

Does the video corruption change if you press on the front corners of the laptop or lift it by the front corners?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Unfortunately this is a random occurrence and I cannot replicate it. I will check these next time it happens. I am usually not around any other sources (like a monitor or LCD TV) to check (As this computer is working in the field and not in an office environment.

This is what makes me think it's a hardware issue. It works fine most days. It's the lingering fact that it can/will happen while I am using the computer while at work (losing large amounts of data that will take many hours to recollect)

Sure wish I had that list when it happened.

Thanks for that though. I will probably just send it in for service. I really can't afford to have a computer giving me issues. Especially since past computers (other manufacturers) have ran fine for 1-2 years without any of these issues.

As for now, I look for a cheap temporary replacement as I can't work without the computer (if it goes in for service)

I really hope they don't just re-install windows and send it back. I didn't think video drivers could be released in beta without proper testing done. I don't know how Asus could release drivers that are unstable on a line of laptops (especially their flagship laptop)

dstrakele wrote:
If you use Windows System Restore to undo the updates (particularly if the video driver was updated), does it resolve the video corruption and lockup issues?

If not, does the video corruption appear on an external monitor or LCD TV connected to the laptop?

If you uninstall the video driver from Control Panel, then reboot to allow Windows to install its Plug N Play VGA video driver, does it resolve the video issue? If so, boot into Safe Mode and try installing the NVIDIA 285.64 WHQL driver.

Does the video corruption change if you press on the front corners of the laptop or lift it by the front corners?

dstrakele
Level 14
If I had to guess, I would agree with you that it is a hardware issue and not a driver issue. I've seen a few threads reporting video corruption (most colors changing to pink, green dots) and blank screens where behavior can be changed by manipulating the laptop (either pressing down on a corner, or lifting the laptop by a corner. I suspect these video issues are caused by a poor connection of the LVDS cable to the motherboard, but it is only a suspicion.

If the issue cannot be quickly reproduced after an ASUS Factory Restore, I suspect that an RMA will result in the laptop being sent back to you with a message that the tech was unable to reproduce your problem. That is why I would troubleshoot the issue to the best of my ability before sending it out for warranty repair. At the very least, you have to come up with good reproduction steps that have a high probability of success.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

update or roll back graphic driver,sometimes it will recover on it's own sometimes you'll have to restart

dstrakele wrote:
If I had to guess, I would agree with you that it is a hardware issue and not a driver issue.

I would say the same. I have seen video corruption on a few different videocards in my time and normally this is video related. I have seen where it can also be the display itself (maybe the ribbon cable that connects the display to the mobo) But I would guess this is hardware related to the videocard. Looks like it may have overheated or just failed (or possibly one of the memory modules for video). I would call Asus and setup a return. 😕 Good luck man.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I have no clue about your hardware issues, except that I agree maybe a roll back of your graphics drivers *might* resolve that issue, either that or it's the screen. But, anyway the reason I am posting is I am curious as to why anyone is looking for a specific drive caddy for a secondary HDD? just purchase an external drive case, they're cheap as chips and buy a matching USB(2 or 3) Powered Cable which are also very cheap 🙂

ForCeV
Level 10
I had this problem at once when I used G75vw since I bought for about 1months.

cl-scott
Level 12
There was a known issue with a recent version of nVidia's drivers that would cause that kind of an issue. One of the 296.xx releases I think, but someone can probably say more definitively. It happened on my personal desktop at home a time or two over a period of a month or so until I moved up to 301.xx. So I would definitely upgrade the drivers first. If it continues happening after upgrading the drivers, then I would agree it looks like it may well be a GPU issue.

cl-scott wrote:
There was a known issue with a recent version of nVidia's drivers that would cause that kind of an issue. One of the 296.xx releases I think, but someone can probably say more definitively. It happened on my personal desktop at home a time or two over a period of a month or so until I moved up to 301.xx. So I would definitely upgrade the drivers first. If it continues happening after upgrading the drivers, then I would agree it looks like it may well be a GPU issue.

Yes, I can also attest to that. I've also had that "pink screen" on two separate occasions
on both nVidia 296.10 and (ASUS certified) 296.16 versions. Updating to any of the more
recent drivers eliminated the issue.

The thread being relatively old, I just hope the OP has resolved this issue with any of the newer
nVidia driver updates.

ForceV, what was your nVidia driver version when you've had this issue, and what's your
driver version currently?
ASUS G74SX-3DE