Storage #1970 Evo Plus 1TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCorsair 4000D Airflow
    Power SupplyCorsair RM 850x
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2
    Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
    Headset Sennheiser PC360 Game

Any news on the resolution front? I fully expect for nothing to happen over the holidays, but a quick update would be very much appreciated.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Loranon View Post
    Any news on the resolution front? I fully expect for nothing to happen over the holidays, but a quick update would be very much appreciated.
    Nothing will happen for a long while. It's been suggested to return cards where we got them from. Not even ETA on horizon as far the fix goes so I presume there might not be fix and this could be just to prolong things.

It's all over reedit, overclock.net and internet that 90% line up of Asus Strix and TUF have issues with fan/shroud vibration I think Asus might be hurting themselves this time around and even thou they might not care...Well.. It will reflect on their further support rep.

New ROGer Array

I fixed my rattling at 62-66% speed issue completely. Always happened when I was running a certain compute workload and could recreate the issue repeatably.

Using sag supports, doing vertical case or mount, or applying pressure elsewhere partially fixed it but it arose again when the card was loaded differently.

Now it's gone everywhere.

I Cut three 2x2cm pieces of paper towel.

Then folded 3 times each to make small rectangles.

Using tweezers poking through the blades and without disassembling the card, I shoved them firmly under these plastic pieces that hold the fans, once for each of the three fans until I saw the plastic part lift a little.

It is important that whatever you put in there is fairly tight to put tension/load on the fan mount like a spring, and to prevent the shim from possibly falling out over time.

That raised the fans away from the fin stack.

I tested by tapping the middle of the fan with my finger. Before it would make a clicking sound like something was loose. Now it makes a muffled solid "thunk".

Shimming the middle fan stopped nearly all of the high pitched rattle and changed the pitch to a barely audible duller one.

Shimming all three fans stopped all rattle in all load scenarios. Now I only hear regular fan and air noise.

tfw a piece of paper towel fixes a $850 USD flagship graphics card. YMMV.

Cutaway
    Last edited by hi_am_muza; 12-26-2020 at 04:58 PM.

ROG Member Array CryptoMax PC Specs
    CryptoMax PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-10850K @ 5.0Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3600MHz 32GB CL16
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX 3080 O10G Gaming
    Graphics Card #2EVGA SC 1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorLG 34GN850 / ASUS ROG PG279Q
    Storage #1Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC 280mm
    CaseCorsair Airflow 275R
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200
    Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by hi_am_muza View Post
    I fixed my rattling at 62-66% speed issue completely. Always happened when I was running a certain compute workload and could recreate the issue repeatably.

Using sag supports, doing vertical case or mount, or applying pressure elsewhere partially fixed it but it arose again when the card was loaded differently.

Using tweezers poking through the blades and without disassembling the card, I shoved them firmly under these plastic pieces that hold the fans, once for each of the three fans until I saw the plastic part lift a little.

I tested by tapping the middle of the fan with my finger. Before it would make a clicking sound like something was loose. Now it makes a muffled solid "thunk".

Shimming the middle fan stopped nearly all of the high pitched rattle and changed the pitch to a barely audible duller one.

Shimming all three fans stopped all rattle in all load scenarios. Now I only hear regular fan and air noise.

After some light testing, I can confirm that your trick does indeed work! I went with a little more "elegant" solution and cut up little squares from a popsicle stick, carefully jammed them in the same spot you did for the three fans and now the rattling is gone! Now I only hear the loud coil whine which is so much better than that sound from before. Hopefully this does the trick for good.

Guys be careful if you try this, it's not easy to pry the little plastic bracket to have enough clearance to put a little shim under there, you might slip and damage the fan blades or you might lose your shim in the fins from the heatsink.

ROG Member Array Loranon PC Specs
    Loranon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix X570-E
    ProcessorRyzen 7 5800x
    Memory (part number)64GB 3600CL18
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG 3080 Strix OC
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278QR
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15

This seems to have worked for me as well. I used a few pieces of a coaster and slipped it under there. In my case, it went in really easy, as the space between the fins and the fanmount was rather large. I havent tested it extensively, but a quick stress test and manual fan ramp from 0 to 100 left me without any noise. Seems to work.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by CryptoMax View Post
    After some light testing, I can confirm that your trick does indeed work! I went with a little more "elegant" solution and cut up little squares from a popsicle stick, carefully jammed them in the same spot you did for the three fans and now the rattling is gone! Now I only hear the loud coil whine which is so much better than that sound from before. Hopefully this does the trick for good.

Guys be careful if you try this, it's not easy to pry the little plastic bracket to have enough clearance to put a little shim under there, you might slip and damage the fan blades or you might lose your shim in the fins from the heatsink.
    Whoa there, popsicle stick?! Look at Mr Fancypants over here with the cutting edge high tech materials. Glad it worked, friend.

ROG Member Array Loranon PC Specs
    Loranon PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix X570-E
    ProcessorRyzen 7 5800x
    Memory (part number)64GB 3600CL18
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG 3080 Strix OC
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG278QR
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15

Quote Originally Posted by CryptoMax View Post

This seems to have worked for me as well. Also, strangely, it seems to have significantly improved cooling performance. Playing CP2077 with RT on, I now rarely exceed 60° with fans at 60%. This was significantly worse before, altough I can't really explain why it should have any effect whatsoever.

Rattling seems gone for good though.

ROG Member Array CryptoMax PC Specs
    CryptoMax PC Specs
    MotherboardGIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-10850K @ 5.0Ghz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3600MHz 32GB CL16
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX 3080 O10G Gaming
    Graphics Card #2EVGA SC 1080Ti 11GB
    MonitorLG 34GN850 / ASUS ROG PG279Q
    Storage #1Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe
    Storage #2Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerEVGA CLC 280mm
    CaseCorsair Airflow 275R
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200
    Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Sennheiser HD650

Whoa there, popsicle stick?! Look at Mr Fancypants over here with the cutting edge high tech materials. Glad it worked, friend.
    Yeah, my dad works for NASA so we have them laying around. Super useful!

I'm so happy that this problem was easy to solve, I played a bunch since yesterday and it's completely gone. I finally got rid of my 1080ti since I won't have to send this one back.

Happy holidays to you all!

ROG Member Array

Any news?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I moved my whole PC build to a new case this weekend. From a P400a to a Lian Li o11 dynamic XL. The oll dynamic XL has a neat gpu support system that is installed with offsets through the mobo mounting screws, so its completely hidden. Even with this new set up I have still not had any vibration issues on my card purchased on December 22. Ive tried to make it vibrate by moving the shrould around, pushing it, flixing it, etc with fans running. I get nothing. Sucks for you guys who have this issue. I would recommend using rubber though over paper towel. Still curious to see what the root cause of this, because im curious why so many have the issue but I dont.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast