cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Hero fan setup for "CPU" fan when using custom loop

flyinion
Level 12
Hi guys, trying to figure out the best way to configure my fan tuning for using a custom loop instead of air or AIO. I have been using a single rad until this weekend when I added a second and a temp probe to the loop. I had the rad fans daisy chained to the CPU_FAN header. I'd like to set everything to be controlled based on the temp sensor in the loop. In the BIOS of course there is no option for this unless connected to the AIO header instead. In the AI Suite fan control you can set the CPU fan header to be a "Water Cooler" but then you can't set the fan speed at all. Should I plug these fans into the AIO port and try that? Or can you disable the error about having no CPU fan and I should just have all the fans on regular headers? I do have the PWM feed from my D5 connected to the W_PUMP header.
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The best method is to use either the Water Out or Water In temp headers to install a 10K Ohm sensor to monitor coolant temp. That way, via Q-FAN configuration in the UEFI you can adjust the fan curve based on coolant temperature. You can ignore CPU fan speed and run all radiator fans off the available chassis fan headers.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

The best method is to use either the Water Out or Water In temp headers to install a 10K Ohm sensor to monitor coolant temp. That way, via Q-FAN configuration in the UEFI you can adjust the fan curve based on coolant temperature. You can ignore CPU fan speed and run all radiator fans off the available chassis fan headers.

Thanks. I do have a temp sensor installed as of this weekend when I rebuilt the loop to add that second rad. So, you're saying remove the fans I have connected to the CPU_FAN header and just disable the warning in the BIOS for that and connect them to a different header instead? I had definitely thought about it but wasn't sure if you could actually disable the BIOS freaking out about no CPU fan signal. Is there a way to make it treat the pump RPM as the "hey there's no cooling" if that fails for instance vs a CPU fan failing? I seem to remember there wasn't but figured I'd double check. I have my PWM D5 sending a PWM feed to the W_PUMP header

I just connect the pump to CPU header, so if the pump not running it'll fail to boot. Rads fan to the chassis header.

My pump is set to static 60%, and fans based on temperature probes at my gpu terminal