Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned Array

Angry

in honesty ive been quite lucky with my card coupled with the fact that coil whine is clearly perhaps a frequency my old ears simply do not pick up at age 53yo
    I found that my strix does run slightly warm at idle ticking over at 37-40deg C but with the latest BIOS the fan do sit idle until its under load as advertised - third time lucky BIOS-wise to get what was advertised....

If you have even a half decent case (which most, if not all 3090 owners will have) then id wager coil whine isnt really much of an issue unless you have the ears of an owl or you are young because Asus do use all top end components which is why we all purchase their kit despite its premium cost.
    Obviously if youve fitted a water block the noise wont be as dampened as it is on the OEM air cooler so i guess youll hear more - especially with young ears.

My main dissapointment really here is the total lack of engagment by Asus with its customers, clearly we are PC enthusiasts and clearly we have spent a lot of cash with them, so when a request is made for a 500w or 520w BIOS it is something that Asus/ROG should be responding to and engaging with us. People are installign EVGA bios on Asus cards - thats a shame really.

Lets be honest, it isnt like the forum is swamped or so busy that engaging isnt "doable" its frankly bloody rude not to respond to your clients asking reasonable questions frankly on your own forum - we are not talking about a 200 dollar purchase here these GPU'S cost thousands and i do expect to hear something from them months after a request in the official Asus ROG own forum - they still havent given that. or engaged on any level. I guess as a funeral director i simply treat my clients far better than Asus does.

Under water these cards can comfortably cope with 520w and more and as such id expect to have an Asus rep engaging with us on that , especially in their own forum where a fair few people are posting on a thread asking about it.

I am pleased with the Strix 3090 OC card overall but Asus are me right off as regards no engagemnt whatsoever or BIOS development and this is pushing me towards buying EVGA next time frankly as they actually seem to want to embrace and engage with PC enthusiasts and make a clear effort to do so - sadly they just dont here as Asus any more - not on any level i just wonder - why wouldnt you want to do that Asus ?

I will close by saying Asus kit is great - still, but the support and engagment is non existent now and the number of people in the forum, or lack of them now, simply confirms that because this place used to be buzzing with enthusiasts and its virtually empty now and that is because Asus/ROG do not engage with them.

So if anyone from Asus/ROG can engage in the thread and perhaps even give an eta or some feedback on a possible BIOS to even match EVGA's 500w so that enthusiasts can squeeze a bit more out of the card under water etc i appreciate it and it might then encourage me to spend thousands more on your kit again in the future frankly instead of EVGA's kit because id wgaer the vast majority of us do not spend thousands of punds on a GPU to run it at stock and not want to tweak it and get the best out of it , so please help us to do that by engaging with us

Its all very well making great hardware, but why not actually also engage with the very people spending many thousands as well and try rebuilding the enthusiast ROG forum community that used to come here - it would only lead to even more sales and happier customers
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 01-23-2021 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Swearing

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Hello,

Is there something specific you have seen that is making you feel under-supported not having an increased power limit? It would be good to show something tangible so that it shows this is what the product is lacking. On ambient, there isn't much if any benefit at all to raising the power cap this high. I and other users have found benefit by under-volting Ampere on the VF curve.

As per the post on the first page, there are no current plans to raise the TDP to 500W. Please also refrain from using expletives in posts on the forum or they will be removed in future.

New ROGer Array

With all due respect I am still waiting, like many others, if Asus has something to say about the coil whine, since it is a well known problem in these VGAs (serie 3) which does not affect me alone.

An answer on your part in any sense, would be the minimum desirable for your customers who spend large amounts of money on your products, instead of receiving a "loud" silence to date.

Thank you.
    Last edited by BIGBLUETRON; 01-24-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBLUETRON View Post
    With all due respect I am still waiting, like many others, if Asus has something to say about the coil whine, since it is a well known problem in these VGAs (serie 3) which does not affect me alone.

An answer on your part in any sense, would be the minimum desirable for your customers who spend large amounts of money on your products, instead of receiving a "loud" silence to date.

Thank you.

Many factors account for audible noise referenced as "coil whine". Certain combinations of power supplies and graphics cards will have a large impact on power-related noise, so it is not something that is easily diagnosed, or even avoidable, outside of simply a natural phenomenon at a resonance we're able to hear. Accounting for all possible scenarios at various amounts of current is extremely difficult to do given the huge variety of various hardware on the market.

Although these kind of discussions are really best left to electrical engineers and not laymen such as ourselves, coil whine is measurable by both frequency and current. In the context of this thread, increasing the GPU power cap is only going to exacerbate any power related noise a user is having.
    Last edited by Silent Scone@ROG; 01-25-2021 at 08:53 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Many factors account for audible noise referenced as "coil whine". Certain combinations of power supplies and graphics cards will have a large impact on power-related noise, so it is not something that is easily diagnosed, or even avoidable, outside of simply a natural phenomenon at a resonance we're able to hear. Accounting for all possible scenarios at various amounts of current is extremely difficult to do given the huge variety of various hardware on the market.

Although these kind of discussions are really best left to electrical engineers and not laymen such as ourselves, coil whine is measurable by both frequency and current. In the context of this thread, increasing the GPU power cap is only going to exacerbate any power related noise a user is having.
    Thank you very much for your kind and detailed reply. I understand what you are saying and I am hopeful that both BIOS engineers and sofware developers can improve the VGA power curve. I hope they can take this problem into account and dedicate some work to fine-tune the power curve in the BIOS by offering a new (v3), more balanced BIOS for those of us who suffer from this problem even if it means sacrificing /modifing something in the power delivery.

Then depending on the personal case of each one, we will have the possibility of updating the BIOS according to what each one needs. Some will not have a coil whine and maybe will want more power and others will prefer to eliminate / mitigate the annoying sound by sacrificing a bit of performance. The desirable thing would be to have options.

I have tested three premium PSUs over 1000W (Seasonic Platinium, Corsair, Super Flower Power) and two high-end MOBOs (MSI and Asus), so I have determined that the problem lies with the VGA. I hope that if you are so kind, given your closest position with ASUS you can convey this in case it is possible to improve it as I have commented.

Thank you very much for your attention. I hope you can please pass this on to whom it may concern, because is really annoying for many costumers.

P.D. As I believe that the problem is related to power, I have not thought it appropriate to open a new thread, but if you consider it appropriate I can do it and we continue to talk the issue there, but I really don't think it's necessary. As you wish.
    Last edited by BIGBLUETRON; 01-27-2021 at 08:47 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by KMagic View Post
    I wanted to let you in on something I experienced with my strix 3090. I noticed also that my fans kept spinning at idle, and the board power draw would sit at 50-54w. Even with the card under 40c temperature at idle, if the board power draw does not drop below 50w the fans will not stop, so I though asus needed to raise the board power draw limit to like 55w.....and then I figured out something. Having hardware monitoring applications open - MSI afterburner to be exact, caused the card to consume more watts that true idle. If I minimized afterburner back to the system tray, and thus stopped its monitoring, the gpu drops to around 40w and the fans will stop. I found that I can run HWINFO to monitor the card and it does not have the same anomaly that afterburner does with increasing the board power draw.
    I am also having trouble with the card. Brand new one.
    Â*The fans are constantly spining at 1000 RPM in idle mode. The clock speed is locked at 210mhz in idle but the power draw is 58w minimum with 120w spikes. https://imgur.com/a/QWMSBck The 0DB function does not work with this card so the fans always stay on. Taken from the ASUS site: https://preview.redd.it/lgbdmrqn5hd6...=webp&b6d81afc I have 2 monitors: \- Odyssey G7 1440p - 240hz \- Alienware 2518hf - 1080p - 120hz With only the G7 plugged in the idle draw is 48w. With only the Alienware plugged in the idle draw is 45w. I tried running multiple refresh rate combinations using these two monitors but to no avail. Whenever they are both plugged in, the card draws too much power and the fans keep spinning. I also tried a custom fan curve in Afterburner but that solution just make the fans stop and start constantly when going above 50c and below 50c. I had a Gygabite 3080 before this card and i have not experienced this problem. The fan stop on that card worked fine. Should i return it ? (i have the option to go with a Suprim x 3090) EDIT: i have a Rog Thor 1200w psu with 3 different PCI-E cables going into a strimmer plus kit + one 8 pin extension. Tried different cables and both bios options on the card. No change in power draw. https://imgur.com/a/ilIEd8H

ROG Junior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Hello,

Is there something specific you have seen that is making you feel under-supported not having an increased power limit? It would be good to show something tangible so that it shows this is what the product is lacking. On ambient, there isn't much if any benefit at all to raising the power cap this high. I and other users have found benefit by under-volting Ampere on the VF curve.

As per the post on the first page, there are no current plans to raise the TDP to 500W. Please also refrain from using expletives in posts on the forum or they will be removed in future.
    I just know I've been following this guy and saw him Shunt Mod the Strix 3090 with a hot glue gun and the results were astronomically better than stock Power BIOS. He got that thing close to 700W power draw. Granted not all games draw that, but quite a few will pull 580+W apparently if you let them and the performance gains are there. And we're talking something like 15-25% performance gains depending how high you're willing to go and the specific app's scaling. I don't know if a BIOS power limit change can do the same by itself without shunting, but if it can, it's totally worth. Really all you'd have to do is list some disclaimers and warn people of the dangers, recommend it only for use in a Custom Loop and if you want, tell them you're not responsible for any damage they cause to their cards using it. Just make sure you don't make any mistakes on your end. Can't be too hard to make a 550W and 650W BIOS. It gives us enthusiasts some easy options for pushing gaming performance. I mean that's the least you could do after I paid $2500 for this GPU only to find out it has coil whine and one of the fans makes some crazy rattling noise randomly sometimes.

It's the same exact principle that got us this rather silly Ampere architecture in the first place. Nvidia didn't have access to 7nm dies because they tried to screw over TSMC, so they were stuck with last gen dies. So how do they get bigger performance gains? Jack up the power draw by 100W or more and add some GDDR6X (which is also more power hungry and runs hot as hell.) Well it turns out these dies can actually handle a lot more power than even Nvidia threw at them. Granted, Waterblocks will be needed to keep them cool for the most part with higher wattage. The guy I watch actually uses a EK Waterblock on the front, and a MP5Work Backplate Cooler on the back Lol. I bought the same for mine. Haven't installed it yet though. But I mean if you guys really don't want to make a big play for GPU dominance, that's fine too. I'll probably shunt the thing myself once I get the next big GPU in hand. Just to get the experience for future use. Once I'm confident I can do it, I'll probably just do it to every single GPU I buy from now on. I think it's absolute highway robbery that we're being locked out of so much performance by pretend power limits when there's so much more performance left on the table. It seems to happen every single generation too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3