cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC bios 500W revision/update?

Undertoker
Level 9
Hi guys
I was wondering if Asus have any plans to update or release a bios to increase the power limit on these cards?
Evga has released a 500w bios and I’d like to see a similar move by Asus as the Strix board is much better kitted out to cater for such a power limit and capable of much more than it currently pulls.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that Asus has planned or will I have to look for a custom bios?
I’d much rather get an official Asus bios update if there is one available or coming in the near future, especially as these cards are capable of a fair bit more than they are doing.*
Thank you in advance for any sensible input
Peace*
I9 14900K >ASUS ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC Edition
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME EATX Motherboard
ASUS ROG PG35VQ @ 200mhz in 3440x1440
Trident Z RGB 64GB DDR5 @ 6400mhz
Samsung 980 EVO Pro M.2 x 5 off
NZXT Z63 Kraken AIO CPU Cooler
NZXT H700i + Hue 2 (Pubg Edition) - Heavily modified
ASUS ROG THOR 1200w PSU
Corsair M65 RGB Mouse
Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard
31 REPLIES 31

icefirexx
Level 7
I would also like an increased power limit bios !

I've noticed that Asus has posted a BIOS update for the Strix 3090.
https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx3090-o24g-gaming-mod...

Has anyone tried it out yet???

alotofentropy
Level 7
I would very much like a supported bios that has a 500 W power limit but I suspect this may push some components beyond certification. I wish I had access to an unlocked bios, but Im not sure if there is anything around other than going through EVGA.Â*Â*

Ed3n18
Level 7
Would be very very nice to see a 500W or even a 520W bios tbh. Let's see if Asus listens to us! After all its a Strix OC card and should be top of the line.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
There are no plans for a higher power limit BIOS but this may be subject to change.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I have updated my driver to the latest one released today Nvidia 461. I had 460 installed already. I've also done the bios flash from the Asus website. I downloaded the exe and ran it. Then tried to run it again to make sure and it said it was not needed the 2nd time....obviously.

My Strix 3090 fans are still spinning at 1000rpm whether I flip the switch to p or q for the dual bios.

Are there any steps I'm missing? When I re-installed the drivers I did a clean install of them.

aliensojurner wrote:
I have updated my driver to the latest one released today Nvidia 461. I had 460 installed already. I've also done the bios flash from the Asus website. I downloaded the exe and ran it. Then tried to run it again to make sure and it said it was not needed the 2nd time....obviously.

My Strix 3090 fans are still spinning at 1000rpm whether I flip the switch to p or q for the dual bios.

Are there any steps I'm missing? When I re-installed the drivers I did a clean install of them.

Can you confirm what resolution/refresh rate the panels are connected to the card, and also the power draw at idle?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I share my experience when updating the BIOS in case it can help someone, since I had doubts if I should run the "RTX3090_V2.exe" in "Quiet" mode and then in "Performance" mode.

Nothing is indicated on the download page, so I contacted Asus and they told me that it was enough to run the program regardless of the mode in which the BIOS selection switch had, but this is not the case.

The card has a "Dual Bios", but it is not a backup dual bios in case either of the two bios is corrupted. These cards have two different BIOSes and "you have" to update both.

After updating both with RTX3090_V2.exe (12/14/2020), the BIOS are these:

- Quiet Mode-------------- 94.02.42.00.A8
- Performance Mode--- 94.02.42.00.A9

The highest consumption I have seen has been 480W. The card does not reach 500W, not even raising the "Power Limit" to 123%.
In idle my card connected to a single monitor has a total power draw that fluctuates between 23 and 30W (with the RGB LEDs off).

Asus should indicate this on the download website and update the information at its technical service so that people are well informed.

I take the opportunity too, to tell Asus that many of us have an exaggeratedly high "coil whine" with these cards. I hope you can solve it in a next BIOS revision. Thank you.

I hope this is helpful to you.

aliensojurner wrote:

I wanted to let you in on something I experienced with my strix 3090. I noticed also that my fans kept spinning at idle, and the board power draw would sit at 50-54w. Even with the card under 40c temperature at idle, if the board power draw does not drop below 50w the fans will not stop, so I though asus needed to raise the board power draw limit to like 55w.....and then I figured out something. Having hardware monitoring applications open - MSI afterburner to be exact, caused the card to consume more watts that true idle. If I minimized afterburner back to the system tray, and thus stopped its monitoring, the gpu drops to around 40w and the fans will stop. I found that I can run HWINFO to monitor the card and it does not have the same anomaly that afterburner does with increasing the board power draw.