cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula - WHEA Logger errors

wyliec2
Level 7
Reading about the BIOS issues I thought I'd been doing OK. Updated to 2402 a week or so back...then started having unexpected restarts.

Digging into it, I found WHEA-Logger errors occurring regularly. The errors seem to have coincided with installing 2311 although I didn't seem to be getting the restarts until 2402. I just installed 2701 this afternoon and am already logging WHEA errors.

It almost seems like they usually occur on an idle system. I haven't had a restart during several recent encoding sessions that ran 80+% for 24+ hours straight.

I run pretty much everything on AUTO with DOCP enabled - g.skill 3600/CL16 2x16GB. I've never fooled with SOC voltage (a bit with CPU core and LLC settings).

I may try going back to 2206....

ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
3950X
32GB g.skill Ripjaws 3600/CL16 RAM
Kraken X62 280mm AIO
4 REPLIES 4

Sprayingmango
Level 10
I am having the same issues with my Crosshair VIII Formula, same memory as you, and a 5950X Zen3 CPU. I had to roll back to 2311 to get my system stable.

I was getting lots of the whea-logger errors, but it was also concurrent with very intermittent watch-dog violations.

After updating the chipset drivers and updating to latest BIOS, both issues are resolved. Though I'm not sure if this is purely a consequence of the improved memory handling of the new BIOS. I'm almost positive that my own problem was related to memory settings as it relates to the old BIOS.

This is on a X570-F.

I went back to 2206 with DOCP - I manually bumped DIMM voltage to 3.7v. I assumed it to be memory related since I never had an error/restart without DOCP. The slight voltage bump seems to have solved the issue.

I have been running concurrent Handbrake encodes since last week - typically 90% + CPU utilization for 24-30 hours at a time with a few hours break here and there. It has been stable - all settings on AUTO other than DOCP.

wyliec2 wrote:
I went back to 2206 with DOCP - I manually bumped DIMM voltage to 3.7v. I assumed it to be memory related since I never had an error/restart without DOCP. The slight voltage bump seems to have solved the issue.

I have been running concurrent Handbrake encodes since last week - typically 90% + CPU utilization for 24-30 hours at a time with a few hours break here and there. It has been stable - all settings on AUTO other than DOCP.

That's good to hear man. I set my dram to 4.1v and the SOC to 1.1v just to get more stability/headroom. Prior to the 2812 BIOS it didn't like going above 2133mhz, but now it's stable at 3000mhz and might even go further.

I just noticed there is yet another BIOS update as of 7 days ago. I wonder if I should even risk it. I mean like the saying goes "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".