Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by RedSector73 View Post
    OP I don't think you have anything to worry about, go Samsung B-die x 4 RAM on QVL (G.skill NEO CL14 3800 for example) and you will be fine with 4xRAM. The issues you see need to be wieghted against what don't see and Ryzen has been selling gangbusters. Mine system runs fine and been building Ryzen systems since 1800x and each ZEN thereafter. Doing a 5900x soon and have buddy running x570 Hero wifi with the 5950x & 4xRAM no problems.

I appreciate the encouragement and specific tips. I will be reading here in the AMD f470/570 forum a lot in the coming weeks as I wait for the CPU/Mobo/GPU to come into stock for a January build timeline. Hopefully I can pick up the best ideas top put together a blazing, rock solid system.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array RedSector73 PC Specs
    RedSector73 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)FA506IU-AL130T x 2
    MotherboardROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    Memory (part number)4 x G.SKILL F4-3800C14D-16GTZN 14-16-16-36 Samsung B-Die
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2080 Ti Xtreme WaterForce (GV-N208TAORUSX W-11GC)
    Sound CardArctis DAC
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB
    Storage #22 x Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster Liquid Pro Master 360
    CaseEVGA DG-87 Gunmetal Grey Gaming Case
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold Power
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
    Mouse Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse
    Headset ARCTIS Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Cooler Master MP750 RGB Cloth Gaming Mouse Pad Extra Large
    OS Windows 10 64bit Pro
    Network RouterRT-AC87U

One last one, Dark Hero - because of this (dynamic oc switcher) which the older HERO wifi, like mine, does not have.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ic-oc-switcher

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post
    Having retired from a lifetime career in IT, I now build my high performance PCs and servers as a hobby with image processing and video encoding projects.

I want high performance with reliability - I'm not after OC bragging.

I've built Intel 4770K, 5960X, 10600K and 10700K systems that have all been rock solid. XMP and maybe a minor overclock but targeting to keep long-term temps under 70C.

I've built my 3950X with quality parts - PSU, mobo and RAM. The 3950X absolutely smokes everything I've used for video encodes. But I'm finding the last several BIOS versions are giving me WHEA errors and frequent restarts.

I was planning on swapping for a 5950X which was driving my BIOS updates. Now I'm struggling just to get back to where I was a few months back with the 3950X. At best, that stability was somewhat less than my Intel experiences.

In the back of my mind I've wondered this exact question. It's frustrating because for the type of work I'm interested in, Intel can't come close without getting into serious XEON territory....
    Have you tried rolling back to the BIOS that worked well? If you started updates once the 5000 processors were adding support, that is known to cause problems. AMD and Asus are tuning these to 5000 series of processors.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

First-generation was certainly not without its problems, however, Zen has matured to a point where a seasoned enthusiast should have no trouble navigating any platform-related quirks quickly if any are to be found at all. It's not a valid reason to choose Intel over X570.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array mdzcpa PC Specs
    mdzcpa PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero XI
    Processor9900k @ 5.1Ghz All Core 1.315v AVX -2
    Memory (part number)Gskill GTZ 4133 C17 32GB (4x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix 2080 TI OC
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 512GB for OS & APPS
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Pro M.2 1TB for GAMES
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 1000W Titanium
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
    Mouse Corsair M65 RGB
    Headset Corsaur VOID Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Wide Desk Mat
    OS WIN 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys VELOP
    Accessory #1 ROG 751JY Laptop for Moobile Gaming
    Accessory #2 Koolance EXC-800 Chiller
    Accessory #3 25+ years of overclocking

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    First-generation was certainly not without its problems, however, Zen has matured to a point where a seasoned enthusiast should have no trouble navigating any platform-related quirks quickly if any are to be found at all. It's not a valid reason to choose Intel over X570.
    Appreciate the reply SS. What's with the rash of posts about whea errors and spontaneous reboots? Are these just tuning issues with the new Zen3 chips? Did I jump into the AMD forum at a transition point? These threads didn't seem OC related as much as just good old fashion memory stability issues. I pick my hardware as carefully as Jesus chose his disciples, so for me that means sticking to the QVL and choosing quality parts wisely. I also do not update my BIOS unless something is not working, or more performance or functionality is clearly offered. These rules keep my rigs running fast and stable.

If the same approach works on the latest AMD kit, I am all for it. Because that's what I need/want. It's the current posts by experience enthusiasts that has me spooked. Maybe I jumped in at a point that doesn't properly reflect the current state of affairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2