cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help: Blinking red power LEDs above Strix 3090 OC PCIe power connectors

tgaDave
Level 7
All I could find is that these blinking LEDs indicate 'abnormal power'. My PSU is a Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W, the pcie cables are three separate (not daisy chained) cables, all properly plugged in at both ends. After being shut down for a while, when started back up, it's a reasonable likelihood the red LEDs above each of the power connectors start blinking forever. If I turn off the system, then switch it off at the wall or at the PSU then drain it (hold the power button on the frontpanel until all the system is fully drained and all LEDs on mobo etc are off), then turn it back on, the blinking LEDs are usually gone.

Any ideas? The PSU is about 2 years old, and the 3090 is obviously brand new, strix OC model.

Wondering if I should approach seasonic for a replacement, or if the LEDs can be triggered by something else, perhaps erroneously even?
50 REPLIES 50

W0D1N
Level 7
Same here, on a BeQuiet Dark Power 11 1200W. So i guess it is not the power supply. I noticed it happened after a first startup of the day where it has been off over night. Is it maybe that with the initial start the strix 3090 OC is a bit to sensitive?

One change i have made (before this problem occured) is to the bios and have set CPU Power Phase Control from auto to Extreme (as advised so it will use all power phases)

Providec
Level 7
tgaDave wrote:
All I could find is that these blinking LEDs indicate 'abnormal power'. My PSU is a Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W, the pcie cables are three separate (not daisy chained) cables, all properly plugged in at both ends. After being shut down for a while, when started back up, it's a reasonable likelihood the red LEDs above each of the power connectors start blinking forever. If I turn off the system, then switch it off at the wall or at the PSU then drain it (hold the power button on the frontpanel until all the system is fully drained and all LEDs on mobo etc are off), then turn it back on, the blinking LEDs are usually gone.

Any ideas? The PSU is about 2 years old, and the 3090 is obviously brand new, strix OC model.

Wondering if I should approach seasonic for a replacement, or if the LEDs can be triggered by something else, perhaps erroneously even?

Hi, a similar problem with my video card (Asus STRIX RTX 3090 OC GAMING) and my PSU (Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w), it might be a new BIOS problem, I noticed while playing rainbow six siege that within 30 minutes the computer is completely reboots with complete power off and sometimes Blinking red leds

Hello Asus, it is clearly unacceptable that selling a video card for such a price shows such instability that can harm all the system. When will you release an updated BIOS or is this a different problem? give us comments on this issue. my computer configuration, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Asus z390 maximus xi hero, Intel i9 9900k, NZXT Kraken x72, DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16gb 3200 MHz cl14, Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000w, Samsung m.2 970 PRO - 512 GB, WD Black SN750 2tb NVMe ssd, Samsung 850 PRO 1TB, Nvidia Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC Gaming 24GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, msi optix mpg341cqr 144Hz, 3440 x 1440, 21: 9

Hi all,

I am having the same issue, same card, ASUS Strix 3090 OC. My lights come off when gaming. It is random, but usually 1 or 2 leds come on. I can reproduce it when I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2. Other games such as the new Call of Duty Cold War, the lights do not come on. This is a brand new computer using a Enermax Platimax 1200w PSU and new Ryzen 5950 with 32gb RAM, no overclocking, no BIOS tweaking, all defaults. I have multiple 12V rails, and have each power connector with a separate cable on each PCIE connector on the PSU. Therefore, no sharing connections or daisy chained.

I can reproduce it when I try a power load test with the OCCT tool, sometimes one led comes on, sometimes all three. My outlet power is fine and my voltages are fine. This has been keeping me up at night and have tried multiple things to no success. I am about to put black electric tape on the leds and call it a day but because the computer is new I am considering requesting a replacement card, but that would require a lot of time and dealing with RMAs and stuff to wait and see if it happens or not.

I wonder if it is a GPU software/BIOS issue with the sensor when hitting power limits. Clearly it is an issue with the power limit and when the card is at peak wattage. The PSU should be sufficient enough. Plus seeing others have similar issues tells me it is something with the card. Are these cards defective? I have waited 10 years to purchase a new computer and was very excited to get one finally with the newest hardware but this has introduced such stress since I got it a week ago.

Please, ASUS, please check with us and investigate this issue. I am sure this is an issue with the sensor and hopefully it is something that can be fixed on your end. At least give us the option to turn the leds off if possible, as it is annoying to see those flashing lights, and turning on and off the PSU is not recommended and can hurt it.

I may be talking a big bull**** but I would investigate the load capacity (voltage) of the PCI slot.

Unfortunately, this would require you to make (possible) adjustments to the BIOS or try using them on other MBs and perhaps other PSU outputs (I have already had problems with CORSAIR AX 1200 outputs and cables).

I have the exact same problem on an older system where the PSU (Seasonic PRIME 1200 W Platinum) is probably not at fault.
I would also like to add that I have something that looks like a driver crash when I watch stuff (youtube, reddit, movies with VLC) on an Asus PG27UQ (HDR) monitor.

PS: When I received my VC, I upgraded my BIOS to the latest one that was on the website.

PadmaN
Level 7
Having the same problem with my 3090 Strix OC.
PSU is a brand new Seasonic Prime TX-1000 (Titanium rated).
I am clueless on what to do. Help?

Having the same issue with my 3070 rog strix oc card, when i turn on my computer one of the two power leds will start flashing. To make it stop i unplug the computer from the wall socket and they will fade away, plug it back in and start and they are no longer flashing. Tested to run some 3dmark and some more of those heavy programs to see if the card struggled at heavy load or if the leds would start flashing again, they did not start to flash and the card did not struggle. Only when i turn on the computer it will happen.
"Can be if it initially do not detect enough power, so if it is not on when you restart the computer, then it should not be anything to worry about."
That was the answer i got from Asus.

My 0.2 Euro cent so ASUS team to be further assisted.

Any users reporting problems, they should mention AC Mains input voltage 115V or 230V.

Some PSU at 115V input voltage they sag or not work at max of their potential / active PFC this is half-working.