cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to install second m2 SSD

IIEleven11
Level 7
Hi, with the maximus ix hero I am booting from a 250gb PnY NvME SSD in m2_1. I have been for awhile everything works fine. I just got a 960 EVO and i pop it into m2_2 and I cant get into BIOS or windows. It gets stick on the "Push delete or f2 to enter bios....Overclock 19%" screen. And it will just sit on that screen forever. I tried delete and f2 of course nothing works. The moment I unplug the 960 from m2_2 I can boot into bios or windows or wherever. The only other SATA port Im using is a 1 tb HDD. But thats plugged into SATA_3. So as far as im aware sata3 isnt turned off when using both nvme slots. I tried searching this and theres a couple like it but I cant seem to find anything close. Please help.
5 REPLIES 5

no1yak
Level 8
IIEleven11 wrote:
Hi, with the maximus ix hero I am booting from a 250gb PnY NvME SSD in m2_1. I have been for awhile everything works fine. I just got a 960 EVO and i pop it into m2_2 and I cant get into BIOS or windows. It gets stick on the "Push delete or f2 to enter bios....Overclock 19%" screen. And it will just sit on that screen forever. I tried delete and f2 of course nothing works. The moment I unplug the 960 from m2_2 I can boot into bios or windows or wherever. The only other SATA port Im using is a 1 tb HDD. But thats plugged into SATA_3. So as far as im aware sata3 isnt turned off when using both nvme slots. I tried searching this and theres a couple like it but I cant seem to find anything close. Please help.

Try swapping the PNY to M2.2 and see if it boots. If it does then you know that M2.2 socket is OK. Then put your 960 in M2.1, remove the PNY from M".2 and try to boot to BIOS. If it doesn't boot then there is a good chance that the 960 is faulty. If you can get to BIOS then put the PNY back in socket M2.2 and see if it will boot again. I take it that you are on the latest Bios (1301).

no1yak wrote:
Try swapping the PNY to M2.2 and see if it boots. If it does then you know that M2.2 socket is OK. Then put your 960 in M2.1, remove the PNY from M".2 and try to boot to BIOS. If it doesn't boot then there is a good chance that the 960 is faulty. If you can get to BIOS then put the PNY back in socket M2.2 and see if it will boot again. I take it that you are on the latest Bios (1301).

So the pc will not boot with the new ssd in any slot. It will boot with the old boot drive ive been using in either ssd slot. so im guessing its a bad ssd. is there any other ways to check this? I cant even get into bios with it. I was thinking maybe if I had the PC already turned on and logged into windows then putting the ssd in, i could maybe get a read on it. Or is that dangerous? And yes im using bios 1301

Can a mod move this somewhere more people will be able to see it/help? Or i can just re write it in a diff part of the forums

IIEleven11 wrote:
So the pc will not boot with the new ssd in any slot. It will boot with the old boot drive ive been using in either ssd slot. so im guessing its a bad ssd. is there any other ways to check this? I cant even get into bios with it. I was thinking maybe if I had the PC already turned on and logged into windows then putting the ssd in, i could maybe get a read on it. Or is that dangerous? And yes im using bios 1301

Not a good idea to insert the 960 while the PC is powered on, you could damage the MB. Can you try that drive in another machine, a friends or family. Failing that just RMA the drive or return it to where you purchased it from.

Ya i dont have another pc to try it in and i got it on offerup froma private seller. I guess ill try and return it to him, thank you