cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerned about 3970X Temperature

Artureld
Level 7
Hey Guys,

Just finished setting up my build and very happy with how things turned out. Just concerned about the temperature of the 3970X. I am running a custom loop with an EKWB monoblock. 2x360 Rads ( PE & XE). The GPU isn't under water yet as I wanted to test the system before I took apart the GPU and put on a waterblock.

I'm coming from a X99 and a 6950X based system so I knew temps might be toastier than what I was used to before. What has me concerned is the CCD5 Temp which is quite a few degrees hotter than the other CCDs. Posting temps on idle. Funny enough during heavy CPU usage the temps only go up a few degrees (4-5c) above. But nothing more than 61c during load.

I have D.O.C.P enabled and running memory OC @ 3200MHz. The CPU boost I've observed during load is 4,335 MHz and fluctuates as low a 4,275 MHz.

Was hoping to get some insight whether the rest of you experienced similar temps or is this a paste/seating issue. Thanks once again.

System Specs:

Asus Zenith II Extreme
AMD Threadripper 3970x
EKWB Quantum Momentum Monoblock
128GB G-Skill Trident Z Royale (3200 MHz)
Corsair AX1600i PSU
ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3090 OC
EKWB Quantum Reflection Distribution Plate
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Idle Temp
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As long as you're confident mounting pressure is fine, then there's nothing untoward about those temperatures. Anything up to 10 degree in variance is not uncommon.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
As long as you're confident mounting pressure is fine, then there's nothing untoward about those temperatures. Anything up to 10 degree in variance is not uncommon.

Thanks for your reply Silent Scone, the only thing that had me concerned was the temps on the CCD5. Those were much higher than the rest of the CCD Temps on the CPU.

Â*

Artureld
Level 7
Had some more time during the Holidays and finally diagnosed why the temps were so different from one another. It was ASUS GameFirst V causing the massive spike in temp on one of the CCDs. Having gotten rid of that and the temps are now in the high 30s and low 40s throughout with the CPU package temperature also in line with the rest of the CPU temp.

Putting this out there in case anyone else is wondering why the temperatures are different/high. I got the idea to check after seeing reports about the Epic Launcher raising AMD CPU temps by a fair bit. I did not have the Epic launcher installed but surmised that if one app can cause that issue maybe I have something installed causing a similar issue.
Thankfully, I found out it was the ASUS GameFirst V.

Hopefully, ASUS can look into this and update the app to lower the CPU usage thus reducing temps.