cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help SSD swap bays G35CZ-XS991

jemw
Level 7
Just installed ROG Strix G35CZ-XS991 and would like assistance using the SSD Hot swap bays. I have querried ASUS tech support as to specific SSD drives will work in the bay with no response. I have a crucial MX500 2.5 which when plugged in is not recognized as bein in the bay. Is there something I'm missing? Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
JimW
2 REPLIES 2

jemw
Level 7
Bump

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums and sorry for the delay!

Not sure how familiar you are with installing a new hard drive and assuming there were not any issues physically plugging in the hard drive, but have you had a chance to check in the bios to confirm if the bios detects the hard drive?

Alternatively, check Windows Disk Management if you haven't already to see if it is recognized there and just needs to be partitioned and formatted.

============================

Unclear about the situation with your Crucial MX500 2.5" drive, but new hard drives may often not be partitioned or formatted yet and will not be ready to be used until you do this.
Expect your hard drive manufacturer will have more information about this if you prefer to check with them, but we can probably help with this as well if you want to keep working on it.

Guessing brand new hard drives do not always come ready to be used in Windows because not all customers may be using Windows with their hard drive, but not sure about the real reason(s).

==========================

If it does not appear to be a partitioning /formatting issue with the new SATA hard drive , you may also want to consider connecting it as a normal hard drive in this system or a different system if available rather than a hot-swap drive , just for comparison if it can be done safely.

Feel free to discuss.