cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage v extreme m.2 screw size

DjSt3rios
Level 7
Hi, I bought an M.2 drive but I can't find the screws in the mobo box, so I need to buy new screws but I have no idea what size I need. Does anyone know the screw size? Also, do I need a standoff?
5 REPLIES 5

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
DjSt3rios wrote:
Hi, I bought an M.2 drive but I can't find the screws in the mobo box, so I need to buy new screws but I have no idea what size I need. Does anyone know the screw size? Also, do I need a standoff?

Did you by chance look at your motherboard to see if there was already a screw there? I can't remember if there was or not when I installed mine, it's been awhile. Otherwise, maybe just try Amazon and type in "M.2 screws". I would assume that they are all pretty standard sizes.

JOSHSKORN wrote:
Did you by chance look at your motherboard to see if there was already a screw there? I can't remember if there was or not when I installed mine, it's been awhile. Otherwise, maybe just try Amazon and type in "M.2 screws". I would assume that they are all pretty standard sizes.

Thank you, I looked closely and turns out, it was in the bottom M.2 slot, however I can't remove the screw from the standoff, I think my screwdriver is not the right side, or it's simply too tight. I removed the standoff because I was afraid I was gonna destroy the board, but still no luck. I will order a new kit of screws and get it over with.

DjSt3rios wrote:
Thank you, I looked closely and turns out, it was in the bottom M.2 slot, however I can't remove the screw from the standoff, I think my screwdriver is not the right side, or it's simply too tight. I removed the standoff because I was afraid I was gonna destroy the board, but still no luck. I will order a new kit of screws and get it over with.

Good luck with it. Do us all a favor and let us know what you order and if it works, since someone else may have the same question. Do you know if the M.2 drive you have fits in the socket, though? When I'd purchased mine (this one, now $500 more than what I'd purchased it for 3 years ago), I'd went in blindly and purchased (at the time) something top of the line and NVMe because it was faster. It worked. I was looking more into it recently and noticed that with respect to the slot, there is a difference between M.2 and NVMe M.2. In fact, I believe to be more correct, it's called M.2 SATA (not just M.2) and the other is NVMe. NVMe is what the interface is on the Rampage V Extreme. Are the two compatible? I don't know. Take a look at this picture, the middle two images. I also saw this as well, which is a more technical explanation (kind of above my head, actually).

JOSHSKORN wrote:
Good luck with it. Do us all a favor and let us know what you order and if it works, since someone else may have the same question. Do you know if the M.2 drive you have fits in the socket, though? When I'd purchased mine (this one, now $500 more than what I'd purchased it for 3 years ago), I'd went in blindly and purchased (at the time) something top of the line and NVMe because it was faster. It worked. I was looking more into it recently and noticed that with respect to the slot, there is a difference between M.2 and NVMe M.2. In fact, I believe to be more correct, it's called M.2 SATA (not just M.2) and the other is NVMe. NVMe is what the interface is on the Rampage V Extreme. Are the two compatible? I don't know. Take a look at this picture, the middle two images. I also saw this as well, which is a more technical explanation (kind of above my head, actually).

Check this article - https://www.pcguide.com/tips/nvme-vs-m-2-vs-sata/#:~:text=M.2%20NVMe%20vs%20M.2%20SATA%20An%20M.2%20....

Godofmosquitoes
Level 7
DjSt3rios wrote:

Hi. You're looking for an m2x3 screw. You can usually buy them in bulk for next to nothing. Like, you have to order 25 screws. But it doesn't really cost anything.

Edit: Only thing you have to be aware of is the shape of the screw head. Like it shouldn't be cone-shaped like a Y, for example, but be flat. 2x3 refers to the diameter and the length of the screw respectively, in milimeters. It's the type of screw used for M.2 drive installations in motherboards in general. So only thing you have to be aware of, is if the head fits, as mentioned above. Most standard heads will fit nicely though. It doesn't require all that much to keep the M.2 disk in place.