cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, latest bios, windows boot issue

ffletchs
Level 10
Hi,

I've been having boot issues with the latest bioses, the fix was to run really low DDR/if speeds, like 2666/1333 (have 2 memory kits that are both DDR3600, both 100% working fine, tested with older bioses and different motherboard/cpu)

when I try DOCP windows fails to boot, get the rotating dots but when it initializes the USB devices/switches to logon screen it will crash and boot back to bios.

So I tried to disconnect all usb devices and then the machine boots fine and seems stabel!?

I've verified this,
boot with usb devices (focusrite scarlett usb audio card and usb hub with f.ex xbox wireless controller, sd card reader, bluetooth dongle) windows boot fails
disconnect usb devices except keyboard and mouse = windows boots fine

I reformatted the and reinstalled windows, same issue

Any1 else seen this behavious? think its bios issue? cpu fail? (its a new 5900x)
23 REPLIES 23

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Unfortunately, mixing memory kits is often ill-advised for this very reason as the memory vendors bin the kits in the density they are sold in. As a result, they is no guarantee they will run at their advertised speed when combined. The behavior you are seeing is likely the result of instability. You will need to address this by tuning frequency and timings/sub timings manually or revert to an older UEFI where memory rules are possibly more forgiving on your configuration.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Unfortunately, mixing memory kits is often ill-advised for this very reason as the memory vendors bin the kits in the density they are sold in. As a result, they is no guarantee they will run at their advertised speed when combined. The behavior you are seeing is likely the result of instability. You will need to address this by tuning frequency and timings/sub timings manually or revert to an older UEFI where memory rules are possibly more forgiving on your configuration.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I'm not mixing kits, I have 1bdie 2x16g, one micron e-die, 4x8gb, both are docp ddr 3600

Having trouble with both kits, both work fine in my other machines and worked fine in this machine before these new bioses. I've been building systems since 1992 and know my way around building, built maybe around 50 systems over the years

Im starting to think my 5900x is faulty

ffletchs wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I'm not mixing kits, I have 1bdie 2x16g, one micron e-die, 4x8gb, both are docp ddr 3600

Having trouble with both kits, both work fine in my other machines and worked fine in this machine before these new bioses. I've been building systems since 1992 and know my way around building, built maybe around 50 systems over the years

Im starting to think my 5900x is faulty

Hello,

The CPU is very unlikely to be faulty. You need to tune the memory or revert to an UEFI that is more stable for the time being with the kits in question.

Use Karhu Ram Test to establish a base line for stability.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

The CPU is very unlikely to be faulty. You need to tune the memory or revert to an UEFI that is more stable for the time being with the kits in question.

Use Karhu Ram Test to establish a base line for stability.

I agree they seldom fail but I've debuged systems that turned out to be a faulty cpu, last tima was a Ryzen 3700x, system was also very unstable, looked like a memory/motherboard issue but after trying almost everything we finally swapped in a 3900x and all the issues were gone. Took the 3700 to the retailer (still in warrenty) and they confirmed that the cpu was faulty.

which bios/uefi do you recommend I try? I've tried all that support the 5900x, have instability issues with all of them, and none will reliably run DOCP settings

reason I think it might be CPU, specifically the IO die
- memory settings work sometimes and sometimes not (same settings), either the memory training in these bios are off or IO die is faulty
- unplugging usb devices(io die again) yields much better success rate on bootin to windows
- when I manage to boot successfully to windows machine is stable, i can replug usb devices. It can stay like this for days, prime completely error free, but then after a boot windows will not boot again, crashes after the dots rotating and switching to the logon screen/initiliazing usb devices and then it can take multiple tried to get it to boot again (often have to reflash the bios again, it wont even boot on DDR 2133/IF 1066

installing my old 3900x and flashing to an older bios (pre 5000 cpu support) and everything works, machine boots reliably, DOCP works 100% and I can OC the memory/tweak timings without any issues

Shamino
altho u mentioned latest bios, u didnt specify version number exactly.
it does sound a little bit like fabric, the fabric is always trained at boot and sometimes can get a lucky or unlucky train
as tho some rail is on the edge between pass/fail, i would look at soc voltage and iod vddg / ccd vddg
something like 1.15v soc with iod vddg 1.05v, ccd vddg 0.98v~

Shamino wrote:
altho u mentioned latest bios, u didnt specify version number exactly.
it does sound a little bit like fabric, the fabric is always trained at boot and sometimes can get a lucky or unlucky train
as tho some rail is on the edge between pass/fail, i would look at soc voltage and iod vddg / ccd vddg
something like 1.15v soc with iod vddg 1.05v, ccd vddg 0.98v~

thanks, I'll try that

I've tried 2311, 2402, 2502 and 2702

when the bios/IF starts acting weird/trained wrong its very hard to get the machine to boot again (to windows), it always posts to bios. Even setting DDR/IF to as low as 2133/1066 will fail to boot to windows. To get it back up sometimes a cold boot will do the trick or I have to clear CMOS or even flash again

if you have a newer beta bios I'll gladly test it

*edit* I have a C8H non WiFi

ffletchs wrote:
thanks, I'll try that

I've tried 2311, 2402, 2502 and 2702

when the bios/IF starts acting weird/trained wrong its very hard to get the machine to boot again (to windows), it always posts to bios

This is because the board is posting in safe mode as you're at the edge of stability (as Shamino mentioned).

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
This is because the board is posting in safe mode as you're at the edge of stability (as Shamino mentioned).

I'm having these issues at stock settings, flash, clear cmos, load optimizied defaults, no OC, no memory tweaking, not even DOCP :confused:

ffletchs
Level 10
Found this thread on reddit, seems to be a very well known issue with these agesa versions affecting many users on all types of boards
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/k5d8pu/why_there_is_no_sticky_thread_about_major/

Why on earth dont asus/ amd not acknowledge the problem, give us an eta on new bios/agesa, instead haves guessing trying diffrent things or buying, I bought another memory kit, exactly the same issues