cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining Dual Band Router to Tri Band Mesh

yakuzah_uk
Level 7
Hi there looking for some advice please?

If I have tri-Band Router with 3 separate SSID's, how will a Dual-Band router distribute those SSID's in a mesh configuration?

Will both 5Ghz and 6Ghz SSID be advertised on one Band and the remaining SSID advertised on the remaining 2.4Ghz band?

Or would you have to mesh with another Tri-Band router?

thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

mustangtom
Level 7
The number of frequency bands (dual or tri-band) has nothing to do with the number of SSIDs. Dual band has 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, and tri-band has these and a second 5GHz band that is usually used for the backhaul to the other nodes for the AIMesh. If you have an SSID assigned to the second 5GHz band only, then this SSID cannot be replicated on the dual-band router since it does not have that same frequency available.

It might help to know what models of ASUS routers you are using for your configuration to help answer your question better. Do you have a separate SSID assigned to each band? Or do you have a guest network? How are your SSIDs configured?

For my setup, I have 3 SSIDs. The primary is for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, the second is a guest network also on both frequencies, and I also have a third that is on the 2.4GHz frequency only for use with IoT devices that cannot be configured when my smartphone is on the 5GHz frequency.

mustangtom wrote:
The number of frequency bands (dual or tri-band) has nothing to do with the number of SSIDs. Dual band has 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, and tri-band has these and a second 5GHz band that is usually used for the backhaul to the other nodes for the AIMesh. If you have an SSID assigned to the second 5GHz band only, then this SSID cannot be replicated on the dual-band router since it does not have that same frequency available.

It might help to know what models of ASUS routers you are using for your configuration to help answer your question better. Do you have a separate SSID assigned to each band? Or do you have a guest network? How are your SSIDs configured?

For my setup, I have 3 SSIDs. The primary is for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, the second is a guest network also on both frequencies, and I also have a third that is on the 2.4GHz frequency only for use with IoT devices that cannot be configured when my smartphone is on the 5GHz frequency.

Hi, and thanks for replying.

I have a Ax11000 with 3 separate SSID's. 1 x 2.4 and 2 x 5.0Ghz.

I was wondering how the Bands would be distributed if I was to use an AX-86U Dual Band?

thanks

I would guess that your third SSID assigned to your second 5GHz frequency would not be available from the dual-band node since it does not have that 5GHz frequency available.

mustangtom wrote:

Sorry for the necro, but this information is still relevant. I recently had Vexus Fiber come in and they installed a tri-band as the base and a dual-band as a node. Since the dual-band doesn't have that third dedicated band to use as backhaul, wouldn't it just use the second band cutting available speeds to anyone connecting?

daemon9 wrote:
Sorry for the necro, but this information is still relevant. I recently had Vexus Fiber come in and they installed a tri-band as the base and a dual-band as a node. Since the dual-band doesn't have that third dedicated band to use as backhaul, wouldn't it just use the second band cutting available speeds to anyone connecting?

Available bandwidth from the dual band node would be limited on the backhaul band, but not from the other band, and not from the base tri-band router if it has 2 5 GHz bands for example, (ie. AX11000). The AXE11000 has one each for 2.4, 5, and 6 GHz and would eat up some bandwidth to backhaul on one band, either 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz.