cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a GT-AC5300 support asuswrt-merlin firmware?

harry_common_uk
Level 7
Just bought GT-AC5300 on advice that by installing asuswrt firmware I could configure it as a VPN router by creating a NordVPN VPN Client connection like I have on my RT-AC87U which works perfectly.

Tried loads of different versions and every time I try to upload I get "Invalid Firmware Upload", so does the router actually support merlin? - if so, has Asus stopped it in some way and is there a workaround? if not it's back to Amazon!

thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5

andjayik
Level 10
I have the
RT-AC5300 and would like to know if this merlin firmware would work as well? Where do u get it and what is different rather than stock firmware?

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware none of the ASUS GT routers are supported by any third party firmware. If you want something close that does work look at the ASUS RT-AC86U or similar non-GT model.

ragea1 wrote:
Unfortunately as far as I'm aware none of the ASUS GT routers are supported by any third party firmware. If you want something close that does work look at the ASUS RT-AC86U or similar non-GT model.

I don't think your statement is correct, the asus GT-AX11000 for example is supported and there other gt- supported

dreckis123
Level 7
harry.common.uk wrote:
Just bought GT-AC5300 on advice that by installing asuswrt firmware I could configure it as a VPN router by creating a NordVPN VPN Client connection like I have on my RT-AC87U which works perfectly.

Tried loads of different versions and every time I try to upload I get "Invalid Firmware Upload", so does the router actually support merlin? - if so, has Asus stopped it in some way and is there a workaround? if not it's back to Amazon!

thanks in advance

You were told wrong. This will router will never be supported by Merlin - your best bet is to return it and get something elseÂ*

ahfoo
Level 13
iIt support but without the ROG function if I known. Correct if if I am wrong.