cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 3090 OC TUF Edition w/Coil Whine

Grendel602
Level 7
For the first week it was completely silent. Fast forward to yesterday and I get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M49fUXX4PVY

I submitted a service ticket and they asked me to make sure my PSU was compatible. LMAO. I have a 1000 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA P2, but I did try out their suggestion and bought a GX-850 Seasonic, whine persists. I then completely changed out the MOBO and CPU, whine persists...clearly it is the card.

What is frustrating is I had no issues for the first week of ownership. Sadly, if ASUS doesn't RMA I'll just return it to Micro Center where I got it.

I do have one strange anomaly, when in game I have the whine regardless of FPS. However, when running Time Spy Extreme in 3DMARK I get no coil whine.
4 REPLIES 4

GravitySandwich
Level 7
Hate to say it but coil whine is not a defect. The coils asus use always wine, they do since the 1080Ti days. It's just when you have high Framerates (200+) that this happens.

Your card won't have any trouble because of it. It also won't last shorter because of it. The only thing that could annoy you is the sound. If that's the case, i would recommend to switch do a different brand because you won't find an ASUS card that won't do this.

This isn't a big thing, but If you want to try and minimize it slightly, stress your card a lot, either play very demanding game for prolong time or just run furmark for 1/2 hour a lot of times that eliminated coil wine for good.

My TUF 3080 also has some noticeable coil whine. I've learned to get over it because a replacement will likely do the same. There are some brands that have less chance of coil whine but I don't think any card is infallible. Especially with the high FPS these cards put out.

Megascrypt wrote:
This isn't a big thing, but If you want to try and minimize it slightly, stress your card a lot, either play very demanding game for prolong time or just run furmark for 1/2 hour a lot of times that eliminated coil wine for good.

sorry but that is a myth.