cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus M15 max RAM and overheating when suspended

Zero_Tyranos
Level 7
I just bought a M15 of the 240HZ variant with the 2070 Max-Q, I have 2 questions:

• When the laptop enters in sleep mode, for some reason on silent mode and the laptop closed, it starts heating up by a lot, to the point of almost overheating, this does not seem to happen on windows mode, so I'm not sure what's happening, when the laptop is opened it starts cooling itself and works normally.
  • In the M15's page, it mentions or mentioned that it could support up to 48GB of RAM (I assume that is 8GB onboard + 32GB SoDIMM), but on the tech specs and other pages I saw up to 24GB, what's the real maximum amount of RAM that it can be added to this model?
4 REPLIES 4

dhruv16feb
Level 7
My m15 is too overheating for some reason and the fans are not at max speed at 95 temp.
To answer your question check ur task manager and make sure no app is running in the background when u shut the lid.
and also make sure what have u assigned ur laptop when lid closed in control panel> power options>choose what closing the lid does.

Max ram is only 24 gb

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Zero_Tyranos,
1. do you mean when the lid is closed? if so, please kindly understand that part of the heating radiation is from the keyboard, so closing the lid might decrease the function and while in silent mode the fan is not spinning that fast.

2. May I have your complete model name? GU502L??
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello Zero_Tyranos,
1. do you mean when the lid is closed? if so, please kindly understand that part of the heating radiation is from the keyboard, so closing the lid might decrease the function and while in silent mode the fan is not spinning that fast.

2. May I have your complete model name? GU502L??
Thank you.

1. Yes, this happened with the lid closed and the laptop supposedly suspended (I haven't changed that setting when on battery), still, getting that hot when on stand by for me was not normal, what I did was chaging to windows mode when on battery and the issue has not happened again, but I would suggest asus to review the armoury crate settings for silent mode or the power plans.

2. is a GU502LW-BI7N6

Thanks!

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Zero_Tyranos,
Thank you for the information.
Please kindly understand that if the device is in sleep mode or stand by, most of the function are still working in the back ground.
So there will still be heat generating.
It would be better to set the device to Hibernate mode if you would like to keep the lid close.
Thank you.