cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero constant reboots

PedroM85
Level 7
Hello everyone!

My first post here, unfortunately is for a help request/complain.

On November 5th, I bough a Crosshair VIII Hero. Reason? I was running a Mini-ITX system and my RTX 2080 was dropping some clocks due to temperatures (NZXT H210 is not very airflow focused.)

I then switched all my hardware for my ATX case (Corsair Obsidian 500D). The hardware was the following on the ITX case:

NZXT H210
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte X570i Pro
2 x 16Gb Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 3200Mhz CL16
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM1000x
Gigabyte 1Tb M.2 NVMe drive
MSI RTX 2080 Duke

Never had a single issue with the system, however, as I stated above, i had some frequency drops on the RTX due to temperature.

Now, the system is the following:

Corsair Obsidian 500D
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Corsair RM1000x
MSI RTX 2080 Duke

Since then, I have constante reboots on the system. I tried to check within Reddit, whoever, no help could be found (a lot of people refered that this is not a BIOS problem, even tho, by changing some stuff it helped reducing the frequency.

The TS that I have done until know:

BIOS updates:
Received the MB with 2311, update to 2402.
Then, 2502 and 2702. All of them have the same issue.

Memory: With or withou DOCP, 1 DIMM, 2 DIMM, change the slots, 1.36V test, nothing changed.
GPU: Switched the RTX for a VEGA64 no changes.
PSU: Verified all the cables, changed the connection on the PSU
Case: disassemble all the rig, rechecked all the connections, same thing.
Temperature and airflow: Case temp is around 50ºC, 3 fans intake, 3 fans exhaust. No temperature spikes or anything related.

The only point that helped on reducing the frequency of the errors was the disabling of the "DF CStates" which passed from 5/6 per day to 1 per day.

Tried to contact Asus support and all the interaction was:
- please send us the serial number of the motherboard
- contact the location where you have bought and ask for an RMA (I'm based in Portugal)

No other TS or attempt to help.

So, I'm asking to the BIOS gods in here, can you please help me? I really want to avoid an RMA when the whole behaviour really appears to be something related to the BIOS.
4 REPLIES 4

ffletchs
Level 10
unfortunatly you're not alone, I've been having terrible luck with these new bioses (5900x on a Crosshair VIII Hero), machine is very unstable , currently running my Samsung B-die DDR3600 kit at DDR2400 to get some stability, have to set VDIMM to ~1.4V, SOC to 1.15v, iod vddg to 1.05v, ccd vddg to 0.98v and enable LLC lvl3 to get any stability

I've tried 2 diffrent memory kits (both work fine in another computer)

Waiting for new bios/AGESA, if still unstable I will sell my C8H and try my luck with a diffrent brand, (been an asus user for many years)

ffletchs wrote:
unfortunatly you're not alone, I've been having terrible luck with these new bioses (5900x on a Crosshair VIII Hero), machine is very unstable , currently running my Samsung B-die DDR3600 kit at DDR2400 to get some stability, have to set VDIMM to ~1.4V, SOC to 1.15v, iod vddg to 1.05v, ccd vddg to 0.98v and enable LLC lvl3 to get any stability

I've tried 2 diffrent memory kits (both work fine in another computer)

Waiting for new bios/AGESA, if still unstable I will sell my C8H and try my luck with a diffrent brand, (been an asus user for many years)

I don't know if it it brings me some confort or just sadness that we spent almost 450Eur/$ on a motherboard that might or not work.

odeivogersm
Level 7
PedroM85 wrote:
Hello everyone!

My first post here, unfortunately is for a help request/complain.

On November 5th, I bough a Crosshair VIII Hero. Reason? I was running a Mini-ITX system and my RTX 2080 was dropping some clocks due to temperatures (NZXT H210 is not very airflow focused.)

I then switched all my hardware for my ATX case (Corsair Obsidian 500D). The hardware was the following on the ITX case:

NZXT H210
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte X570i Pro
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM1000x
MSI RTX 2080 Duke

Never had a single issue with the system, however, as I stated above, i had some frequency drops on the RTX due to temperature.

Now, the system is the following:

Corsair Obsidian 500D
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Corsair RM1000x
MSI RTX 2080 Duke

Since then, I have constante reboots on the system. I tried to check within Reddit, whoever, no help could be found (a lot of people refered that this is not a BIOS problem, even tho, by changing some stuff it helped reducing the frequency.

The TS that I have done until know:

BIOS updates:
Received the MB with 2311, update to 2402.
Then, 2502 and 2702. All of them have the same issue.

Memory: With or withou DOCP, 1 DIMM, 2 DIMM, change the slots, 1.36V test, nothing changed.
GPU: Switched the RTX for a VEGA64 no changes.
PSU: Verified all the cables, changed the connection on the PSU
Case: disassemble all the rig, rechecked all the connections, same thing.
Temperature and airflow: Case temp is around 50ºC, 3 fans intake, 3 fans exhaust. No temperature spikes or anything related.

The only point that helped on reducing the frequency of the errors was the disabling of the "DF CStates" which passed from 5/6 per day to 1 per day.

Tried to contact Asus support and all the interaction was:
- please send us the serial number of the motherboard
- contact the location where you have bought and ask for an RMA (I'm based in Portugal)

No other TS or attempt to help.

So, I'm asking to the BIOS gods in here, can you please help me? I really want to avoid an RMA when the whole behaviour really appears to be something related to the BIOS.

Try manually setting these voltages. I used to get constant reboots with the newer BIOSs too and this was the solution I concocted and it worked!

VDDSOC = 1.05
VDDG CCD = 0.950
VDDG IOD = 0.950
CLDO VDDP = 0.900

odeivogersm wrote:
Try manually setting these voltages. I used to get constant reboots with the newer BIOSs too and this was the solution I concocted and it worked!

VDDSOC = 1.05
VDDG CCD = 0.950
VDDG IOD = 0.950
CLDO VDDP = 0.900

Thanks for the tip.

Until know, I found some points that were really able to bring some stability to the system.

DF Cstates : Disabled
PBO Enhanced Mode: Disabled

These 2 options really dropped the number of errors and reboots. Maybe to 1 per day.
Other thing that I did was to overclock the hell out of the 3600.

Amazingly, a 4.2Ghz all core at 1.35V really brought the system to be totally stable.
I'm gonna add your values because what it appears to be is the "Auto" settings on the BIOS that are crazy.

Currently this is my setup:
4.2Ghz all core at 1.35V
3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 (DOCP Timmings)
DF CStates: DIsabled
PBO Enhanced Mode: Disabled

Since yesterday 09:26 GMT that I don't have any WHEA nor CPU Core. It might have solved it!!!