cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula audio issue

BlueHawk0172
Level 7
I just recently finished my first build, all ROG components - Helios case with a Crosshair VIII Formula motherboard.
I'm having an audio issue, first noticed it trying to play WarZone. I can hear myself, only slightly and only if the mic is right up on my lips, but I can't get any mic output to register at all no matter how loud I am. Because I can basically eat my mic and hear myself on both my speakers and the headset but that's it.
I have my primary device correctly selected - The mic is not muted in any of the audio software applications, Sonic Studio 3 or Realtek - The mic is not set to "listen to this device" - and the mic is not set to that "Windows boost" feature I saw as the top result on my google searches.
I can't figure this out at all lol please send help
6 REPLIES 6

OldTechie
Level 9
Assuming you run Windows, did you install the correct drivers? I use MoKiChU's drivers from this board.
Open the Realtek audio console and look for the microphone entry. You can set the amplification level to about +30dB.

Cheers.

OldTechie wrote:
Assuming you run Windows, did you install the correct drivers? I use MoKiChU's drivers from this board.
Open the Realtek audio console and look for the microphone entry. You can set the amplification level to about +30dB.

Cheers.

I was just auto-updating for the drivers, I didn't select them but they were all up to date. I'm trying to download MokiChU's third party drivers now and I can't get the install to work.. - There's nothing to install, it only wants to open as a text document and doesn't give me the ability to run as admin

BlueHawk0172 wrote:
I was just auto-updating for the drivers, I didn't select them but they were all up to date. I'm trying to download MokiChU's third party drivers now and I can't get the install to work.. - There's nothing to install, it only wants to open as a text document and doesn't give me the ability to run as admin

Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

You need to install 7-Zip (Free/OpenSource) to extract my .7z drivers packages (direct link to the latest version) : https://www.7-zip.org/a/7z1900-x64.exe

You have an ASUS ROG SS3|DTS Sound Unbound motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3-DTS MB) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Hey MokiChU, thanks for the detailed reply. I ended up downloading Winzip to uncompress the wrong drivers and it wouldn't properly install Realtek controller, I then saw your reply on here - thank you for listing what the correct one was for my MB - and then used 7-zip to uncompress and was able to successfully install the correct drivers and get all of my applications back.
Unfortunately my mic issue still remains.. I can slightly hear myself if I'm obnoxiously loud into the mic, over both of my audio outputs, and the mic doesn't register on any applications. I stopped at Micro Center today and got a 3.5mm to USB adapter and that fixes my problem, but then I have no control over that audio source.. i.e. I can't have my audio set to have my music/movies out over my speakers and have the games over my headset. I've done everything I can think of to solve this issue, I guess I'll spend some time with Asus support to see what they suggest and if I have to RMA the mb.

Now that you have the right drivers, open Realtek audio console and look for the mic entry.
You will be able to set amplify levels up to 30dB, doing so will solve your issue.
I posted this earlier also.

Cheers.

OldTechie wrote:
Now that you have the right drivers, open Realtek audio console and look for the mic entry.
You will be able to set amplify levels up to 30dB, doing so will solve your issue.
I posted this earlier also.

Cheers.

Doing both still did not fix my audio issue, I had to uninstall the drivers a different way. When uninstalling the way the previous post says to Realtek audio controller still had all my previous settings remembered... So I had to Sounds - Recording - my headsets properties - Properties - Change Settings - Driver - Uninstall Driver. Then when I re-installed them all my settings were reset.

ALSO I think I found the original cause of this... One, or both, of the background noise suppression toggles on the realtek audio console. Because my mic worked.. Then I checked them, then it stopped working... So now I'll just leave them unchecked I guess, don't feel like troubleshooting through this again to figure out if it was only 1 of the "Microphone effects" or if it was both of them together..

Thanks for the help guys!