cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX X570 I-GAMING - Windows Cache Hierarchy Error with Ryzen 5950X processor

Daylight_Invade
Level 8
I've recently upgraded the processor in my I-gaming based rig to a 5950X. When running the board with DOCP (XMP), I seem to get spontaneous reboots and cache hierarchy errors including file corruptions. Strangely leaving the board in DOCP/XMP mode and running memtest for a few hours confirms no issues with the memory, but running under this mode in Windows just spells disaster.

Running the machine back in full defaults and running processor specific stress tests (prime95 etc), all seem to show a clean processor. This suggests a BIOS issue of sorts.

Anyone else getting this behaviour? I know the 5000 series run a little hotter than the older 3000 series, but I am definitely within the thermal limits. Running the 2816 bios at the moment, but not keen to go backwards if possible. Any help would be appreciated as I think I have re-installed this rig about 10 times as well as re-seated the processor etc. I only became convinced it was not hardware when all the stress testing I did individually came back clean suggesting some strange issues afoot elsewhere. A quick google around shows other ASUS owners posting in places like Reddit who also have issues like this and have resorted to lowering vcore voltages and turning off PBO.

I should note that PBO when running under XMP guarantees a quick spontaneous reboot, although it is oddly when the processor is not doing a lot. PBO under default settings (i.e. with very slow memory) seems to have a well performing processor, but matched with a slow memory speed really does not unleash what this kit should be capable of.
8 REPLIES 8

loccc
Level 7
Hey. Downgrade to 2802 bios version which is Patch-B and non beta. Many have similar issues as you with Patch-C bios versions which are beta versions currently. I had similar issues and bios downgrade solved all the problems with memory, fabric clocks and WHEA errors.

loccc wrote:
Hey. Downgrade to 2802 bios version which is Patch-B and non beta. Many have similar issues as you with Patch-C bios versions which are beta versions currently. I had similar issues and bios downgrade solved all the problems with memory, fabric clocks and WHEA errors.

Thanks for the post. I have to admit I am very nervous about downgrading to 2802 as many report exactly the same issues. This reddit post in particular worries me, so I think this might be a frying pan / fryer type situation. The memory issues in particular effect me as I am not attempting to OC. I'm simply wanting to use XMP/DOCP, which at the moment I cannot without these cache issues hitting me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jq1fc6/new_uefi_bios_updates_for_asus_amd_motherboards/

It looks like our colleagues across in the MSI camp are also experiencing these same issues. It's also pointing to some odd vcore voltage settings and the like which might possibly be at the root of the problem.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/x570-tomahawk-wifi-ryzen-7-5800x-workaround.353089/

it also seems that this is not just a 5950x issue, but likely an issue affecting all 5000 series processors ( 5900x 5800x 5600x ) etc, and most likely down to something with AMD and the board partners need to work together to resolve.

Found a few more threads elsewhere too so this is definitely a real issue affecting all of AMD's major board partners. I suspect it's not as widely known as it probably should be as so few people have these CPUs.

Someone on another forum (oc UK) helped. Seems it's related to the auto default voltages that have been set in these beta bioses.

Interestingly if I follow that posters advice, I am able to re-enable PBO and DOCP/XMP using the following:

Manual edit voltages in bios as follows:

Cpu Soc Voltage 1.1v
*Vddg iod 950mv
*Vddg ccd 900mv

Hopefully the above advice will help someone else experiencing these frustrating issues. it's a real shame as this is one beast of a chip.

B550-I ITX defaults to 1.25 VSOC for me on 5800X. For VDDG's I manually set 1.05v for 3733 1:1

fatalhalt wrote:
B550-I ITX defaults to 1.25 VSOC for me on 5800X. For VDDG's I manually set 1.05v for 3733 1:1

new bios for all these boards released! Let the testing begin!

Daylight_Invader wrote:
new bios for all these boards released! Let the testing begin!

Hey there! I also was having the same issues as you, I've "RMA" the CPU and the new 5950x worked without any issues.

Here is my current voltage & timings