cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build not posting, please help!

Krigeren
Level 7
Hi,

I'm building a new PC and I am running into an issue I can't solve. If anybody can offer some help or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

My components:

Asus Rog Strix X570-i Gaming
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
16gb x 2 G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz cl16
RTX 3070

When I try to boot, I get no signal on my monitor, and the POST state LED is yellow, indicating a DRAM issue.

I've tried
- Reseating both ram sticks
- Only using 1 ram stick (tested both sticks individually, in both slots)
- Reseating CPU
- Connecting to monitor with both display port cable and hdmi cable
- Using a different graphics card
- Checking PSU connections
- Clearing CMOS (via jumper short circuit)

RGB on motherboard, ram, gpu is all lighting up. All fans are running fine.

When I ordered the motherboard, it specifically said it would support zen3, but I am unable to check which bios version I have, and to my understanding I can't update bios without having a functional cpu and actually booting up, which I can't. Would an unsupported cpu produce a yellow DRAM error?

Is a DRAM issue enough to not even get a video signal? I would expect to atleast get some more helpful error messages, but all I have is the yellow led indicator.

Does anybody have any idea what could be the cause of this issue, or suggestions to how I can proceed in figuring this out?

Best regards,

John
9 REPLIES 9

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Could it be your memory? Is it on the QVL list? But you are right to think it could be something else.

Have you tried different monitor (HDMI) cables? Are all of your cables all the way in? Are all of your GPU power cables connected?

Are you getting any error codes, visual or otherwise? Have you connected the little speaker to your motherboard that will give you beep codes?

Also, could you test the memory (and other components) in another rig?

Also, according to AMD for your CPU:

System Memory
System Memory Specification
Up to 3200MHz
System Memory Type
DDR4

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

I'm not sure if you have a problem here or not but it states up to 3200 and your memory is 3600 Mhz.

Krigeren
Level 7
I couldn't find the QVL list for this motherboard, but I've tried a different set of ram running 3200mhz, and it failed with the same error. Vendors are G.Skill and Crucial, so I find it hard to believe they would not be supported.

I have tried different cables, yes, both display port and HDMI. I've checked all connections thoroughly. All GPU cables all connected.

I'm not getting any error codes besides the yellow light indicating a DRAM issue. I have not connected a speaker, and it seems it was not included in either the motherboard accessories or my case accessories.

I have tested the GPUs in another rig and they work fine. I can't test CPU and RAM in another rig, but 4 sticks of ram can't all broken. Could be the cpu, but it seems more likely to be the motherboard if anything is dead on arrival.

My main theory is it's a BIOS issue, even though it was specifically listed as supporting zen 3. Current plan is to get a hold of a zen2 processor, and hopefully be able to use that to update it.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

If it helps you, at the top right of each ASUS motherboard, there is a label with the serial number of the card and the buit-in BIOS version (the last 4 digits being your BIOS version), if the version is equal to or greater than 2606, the motherboard is Ryzen 5xxx compatible, if the version is lower, the motherboard is not Ryzen 5xxx compatible out of the box and the BIOS must be updated.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

If it helps you, at the top right of each ASUS motherboard, there is a label with the serial number of the board and the buit-in BIOS version (the last 4 digits being your BIOS version), if the version is equal to or greater than 2606, the motherboard is Ryzen 5xxx compatible, if the version is lower, the motherboard is not Ryzen 5xxx compatible out of the box and the BIOS must be updated.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

If it helps you, at the top right of each ASUS motherboard, there is a label with the serial number of the board and the buit-in BIOS version (the last 4 digits being your BIOS version), if the version is equal to or greater than 2606, the motherboard is Ryzen 5xxx compatible, if the version is lower, the motherboard is not Ryzen 5xxx compatible out of the box and the BIOS must be updated.

That IS helpful! It's an ITX board, and while I could not find a sticker in the top right, there was one between the cpu socket and ram slots, and the last four digits are 1407, which matches a BIOS version for this board. So my main suspicion is confirmed. Thanks stranger!

Braegnok wrote:
USB BIOS Flashback, no CPU or memory needed,..

https://rog.asus.com/technology/republic-of-gamers-motherboard-innovations/usb-bios-flashback/

It doesn't seem my motherboard has this function. I have EZ flash 3, EZ update, and Crash free BIOS 3. I don't have a hardware flash button.

Crashbelgium
Level 7
Krigeren wrote:
Hi,

I'm building a new PC and I am running into an issue I can't solve. If anybody can offer some help or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

My components:

Asus Rog Strix X570-i Gaming
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
16gb x 2 G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz cl16
RTX 3070

When I try to boot, I get no signal on my monitor, and the POST state LED is yellow, indicating a DRAM issue.

I've tried
- Reseating both ram sticks
- Only using 1 ram stick (tested both sticks individually, in both slots)
- Reseating CPU
- Connecting to monitor with both display port cable and hdmi cable
- Using a different graphics card
- Checking PSU connections
- Clearing CMOS (via jumper short circuit)

RGB on motherboard, ram, gpu is all lighting up. All fans are running fine.

When I ordered the motherboard, it specifically said it would support zen3, but I am unable to check which bios version I have, and to my understanding I can't update bios without having a functional cpu and actually booting up, which I can't. Would an unsupported cpu produce a yellow DRAM error?

Is a DRAM issue enough to not even get a video signal? I would expect to atleast get some more helpful error messages, but all I have is the yellow led indicator.

Does anybody have any idea what could be the cause of this issue, or suggestions to how I can proceed in figuring this out?

Best regards,

John

probably you have to update bios to support the 5000 series.
you need to have atleast 2606
check this list.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/