cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula giving HDD 02: Detect HDD message unable to fix

mretsam
Level 7
Hello, I recently purchased the brand new AMD Ryzen 5950x and the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula motherboard. Both of these are brand new. I have set up my computer and made sure all the cabling and wiring are correct, which they are, and when I go to boot the system the monitor shows a blank screen. There is also an error message or code that says Code: HDD 02: Detect HDD. I have two m.2 drives in at the moment and I unplugged all my SATA drives and the message still pops up(Windows is on one of the m.2 drives).

I checked to see if anything was wrong with the socket or if the CPU had any bent pins but I can't see to find any when I zoom up to it really close with my camera and flashlight.

Here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 5950x
ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
64 GB of g.skill Trident RGB RAM(compatible)
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra(brand new, first time using)
1 TB m.2 960 Pro Samsung drive
2 TB m.2 970 EVO Samsung drive
EVGA 1600w power supply
WD Black 5TB Performance HDD -7,200 RPM SATA 6GB/s 128mb cache (unplugged at the moment)
WD Green 4TB IntelliPower HDD - 10,000 RPM SATA 6GB/s 64mb cache (unplugged at the moment)
2 x 860 Samsung EVO SSD SATA 4TB (unplugged both at the moment)

I have also tried resetting CMOS and that didn't seem to do anything either. Any ideas on what I could do?

Thank you for your help in advance!
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
02 means it's sitting in BIOS I think...check your display chain...gpu... cable... monitor

Maybe flash latest BIOS ....BIOS flashback method

That seemed to work(update BIOS via flash back), along with replacing a faulty displayport cable. The computer now POSTS.

Thank you!