cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise coming from the motherboard / Maximus Hero XI

Asryan
Level 10
Hi,

I have this weird little noise coming out of my PC, it's not loud but sometimes annoying

On the video the fans are off to hear it better : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62GCC0W9CV0

Before someone asks,it's not the AIO pump and it's on the top of the case so tubes orientation won't matter. (just kidding but since gamer nexus released this video, if you tell someone you are coughing a bit they will ask about your pump orientation haha)

It feels it's more audible when there are some loadings and it sounds like an HDD but.. i don't have any HDD in my rig, only 2 sata SSD and an M2, if open a bunch of google tabs for instance the noise is clear

i've tried with another board (same one) and it's the same, i can hear the wine for instance if I open a lot of chrome tabs, that's so weird.

Could it be ram related?

I tried to put back bios on default, didn't changed anything

So

I'm sure that it's not:
the gpu
the fans
the pump
bios settings
RGB off same thing

it can only be motherboard / ram or PSU but it's a seasonic prime platinum and the noise seems to come from the upper side of the card.

it's not the fan or the gpu and it doesn't seem to come from the PSU?
13 REPLIES 13

Asryan
Level 10
any help?

Asryan wrote:
any help?

when you say MB making noise my first thoughts are gpu coil wine, but you say its not that... ive never heard of MB making sounds but then again i dont have that model so i wouldnt know. flag up with tech support and rma if need be

I had coil whine on my first Maximus Hero XI that I RMA'd, but it's strange because it was not the same sound as you have in your video. Try to disable all C-States in the bios to see if it fixes your issue.

I have a whining sound and I can't tell where it is coming from. I will be getting a 3-pin to 4-pin adaptor so I can plug my AIO in to a fan header. I want to turn down the voltage of the AIO pump and see if that it the issue.

Asryan
Level 10
Seems it does it too when i move the mouse, tried to switch usb of it no changes.

Also,

When i'm in the bios there is no noise, only the sound of fans and pump but no whine or whistle, can this indicate something?

i've tried with another board (same model) and same thing, i can hear the hwine for instance if I open a lot of chrome tabs, that's so weird.

I tried to put back bios on default, didn't changed anything

So

I'm sure that it's not:

the gpu
the fans
the pump
bios settings
RGB off same thing
c state off

Asryan
Level 10
However i just saw that "BCLK Aware Adaptative Voltage " was enabled and now it's disabled, the mouse noise issue seems less present, is it in my head or can it be relevant?

I just tried another PSU, Asus Thor 1200W, same issue. It's not the PSU then I guess. I might be extremely unlucky with the motherbards? What else could it be?

Asryan wrote:
I just tried another PSU, Asus Thor 1200W, same issue. It's not the PSU then I guess. I might be extremely unlucky with the motherbards? What else could it be?

Hi, I had this problem long time ago with older Asus motherboard Z77. Find spread spectrum setting and and play with it. If not working try disable C states. I remember in my case setting voltage to manual solved problem. I could hear whine around CPU socket when moving mouse and even my headphones were making weird sound.

Asryan
Level 10
Unfortunately I've already tried all that and it didnt't solved it, i'm trying to install another board again soon