Yet Another Bios 3003

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Version 3003
2020/12/07 20.22 MBytes
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA BIOS 3003
1. New CPU support
2. Add a ReSize BAR shortcut for AMD SAM support

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8F.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

So many new releases in such a short time. Has anyone tried this?

It does not detail performance improvements or anything like that, but in my case I had two crashes in a week with 2702 (and also a few crashes with another Bios, 2311). I had not had any previous crashes the last eight months since building this rig, but updated because of the desire for improved system performance, as detailed in the explanations.

Manuals typically say not to update your Bios because of the potential risks associated with a failure on updating, but improved performance is what you want.
20 REPLIES 20

mrazster
Level 7
OK..so I´ve been following the discussion both in this forum and on Overclock.net, about the whole bios snafu..and as many others trying to get a stable system. I made this post in the Overclock.net forum so I´ll just quote my self from that post.

I´m using Arch Linux so I don´t have the same tools and options as you guys have.
So AFAIK there is no way for me to check logs for WHEA and error code 41 (if memory serves correctly) since the logging and error reporting works differently.
Relevant hardware as follow:
Crosshair 8 Formula
Ryzen 7 3700X
32GB (4x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz (CMT32GX4M4Z3200C16, wich is QVL certified by asus)

The problem I was having is connected to running all 4 dims populated and also using the PBO Fmax. As soon as I turn on the PBO Fmax, my system hangs/freezes randomly while idling (mostly). The only way to get stability was to use 2 ramsticks and refrain from using PBO Fmax, wich I simply refused to settle with.
Some times it could run prime 5 hours straight (small, large or blended FFTS, doesn´t matter) without a problem, rendering movies, looping game benchmarks and all other loads I throw at it without any problems. And then 15 mins after I stop the torture, while the rigg is idling it just freezes up completely. And other times the rigg was on for 36hours days without any problems and all of a sudden while streaming a movie it freezes/hangs again. A couple of times it even froze during booting the os.

YEAH YEAH I KNOW !! 🙂 ....I could just have turn off the Fmax and be done with it. But my cpu and system is responding really well to it performance wise, and I actually got really nice clocks out of my cpu. And also it bugged me that others could run just fine with Fmax and my system wouldn´t.
So I just had to figure out what it was and why.
So I have tried all bios from 0039 up until the latest 2702.
I have played around and tested almost every days since the 0039 bios was released.
Trying out suggestions in this thread, high and low. Turning on and off "Global c-states", "DF c-states", playing around with diffirent "scalar" and and trying 0-200mhz, different LLC, different voltage settings (vcore, vsoc, vddg e.t.c) and trying different current limits e.t.c. I´ve also been trying out different kind of ram settings and even remove 2 of the sticks to eliminate the possibility of 4-stick ram incompatibility. I just couldn´t get it stable !

And then, a couple of days ago the 3003 bios was released, and of course I had to try that one to, not actually thinking it would make any difference.
But lo and behold, so far it´s still holding it´s own, no hangs, freezes or other hick-ups.
I´ve spent the last couple of days lowering and fine tuning the relevant voltages and settings
So far it´s been stable..holding my fingers crossed.

So yeah bios 3003 did the trick for me at least !
Unless I need to, due to cpu-upgrade, I won´t be touching the bios any time soon.

RedSector73
Level 12
Another stable release with nothing to complain about. ASUS finally releasing BIOS faster than others .... LOVE it !

RedSector73 wrote:
Another stable release with nothing to complain about. ASUS finally releasing BIOS faster than others .... LOVE it !

I've seen some complain over on Overclock[dot]net. As much as i'd love to have a perfectly stable BIOS, I'm forced to hold off and see what everyone says about it because there's been so many unstable versions. Another complaint I saw was a decrease in benchmarking performance.

How is this update treating everyone that has dared to try it? Any gains in workloads or gaming? Better stability?

RedSector73 wrote:

Yup. I installed this new Bios maybe ten days ago and my rig has been purring like a kitten (touch wood) since. Let me add that I game every day for a number of hours.

Thumbs up, Asus. You hit this one out of the park!!

I would add though that I think "fast boot" in Windows is potentially a source of problems. Hence, mine is disabled.

Also, since there is mention of Aura and Armoury Crate. I have uninstalled all of that #*@*. I then reinstalled Windows with the WIndows recovery tool. You can control your fans from the Bios. You can also turn RGB off. Honestly, and I can't speak for others, but all of those fancy lights to me are not what I want. I am busy looking at my computer monitor and don't even look at my case. I think RGB is needless cosmetic marketing #$&* and it is bad enough to have had to pay for it, never mind having to look at it. I wish Asus motherboards had it as optional, and had the price lowered for motherboards without it. Who needs it? And the software for it stops working before long anyhow.

Baio73
Level 8
Thumb up for me... only thing I had to raise 0.01v of my DRAM to make them stable.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Dawidowski
Level 7
So my motherboard LEDs are dead unless I run armorycrate... How do I run those again without having to download the worlds most **** software forced upone me?

Dawidowski wrote:
So my motherboard LEDs are dead unless I run armorycrate... How do I run those again without having to download the worlds most **** software forced upone me?

Did you try to reflash the BIOS?

BaioÂ*
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Baio73 wrote:
Did you try to reflash the BIOS?

BaioÂ*

Well of course.. bios 2502, 2702 and 3003 ... nothing happens. Bios turning it on or off is also unavaible..
So yeah I'm fairly pissed.
Downloading just aura sync doesnt boot at all and just shows FF - Fault found on the qled code.
So 3003 bricked my motherboard since I went from 2702 to 3003 and tada its gone.

Dawidowski wrote:
Well of course.. bios 2502, 2702 and 3003 ... nothing happens. Bios turning it on or off is also unavaible..
So yeah I'm fairly pissed.
Downloading just aura sync doesnt boot at all and just shows FF - Fault found on the qled code.
So 3003 bricked my motherboard since I went from 2702 to 3003 and tada its gone.

Really strange... I’ve just updated to 3003 (I had Aura installed) and RGB works as usual...
Did you flash using the Flashback option?

If so, I think your mobo needs a RMA.Â*
BaioÂ*