cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Code XII

RollaDice
Level 7
Hi all, just a quick question

I currently use ROG Maximus Code XI motherboard.

i'm looking to upgrade to a z490 but wanted to stay with the Code series, thing is the Code XII z490 doesnt seem to be available. Is there a reason why the code series wasn't continued on the z490? Also, if it's not available, what ROG motherboard series would you recommend that would be similer to the Code. i was looking at purchasing the ROG Formula z490 but wasn't interested in water cooling. Just want the same features as the code but Z490

apprecaited.
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hello RollaDice

Asus did away with Code in the Maximus XII Series.

The Maximus XII Formula has the EK crosschill block which can be used for air or water cooling, the other choices would be the Maximus XII Hero WiFi or Maximus XII Apex.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello RollaDice

Asus did away with Code in the Maximus XII Series.

The Maximus XII Formula has the EK crosschill block which can be used for air or water cooling, the other choices would be the Maximus XII Hero WiFi or Maximus XII Apex.

Hi Nate,

Thanks for reply, yes im aware of the Hero & Apex.

I think the issue for me is finding the closest board to the Code in regards to features. I'm currently looking at board comaprsions.

when it comes to PCIe I'm not the most knowledgeable, so need some guidance if poss.

on the Formula Z490 XII is says 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8)
on my code Z390 XI it has 2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16, x8/x8, or x8/x4+x4)

im not sure what the difference is between the 2 readings with the formular having the extra x8/x8, or x8/x4+x4) info

Would i be going backwards in any board features if i was to go for the Formular XII upgrading from the code XI apart from the chipset being an upgrade.

Thanks again

Nate152
What it's referring to is the pcie lanes on the cpu which has 16 lanes + 8 lanes from the chipset for a total of 24 pcie lanes. This means you can use two M.2 ssd's without sacrificing cpu pcie lanes.

The configurations are showing:

x16 = 1 GPU

x8/x8 = two nvidia gpu's or two amd gpu's

x8/x4/x4 = three amd gpu's

AMD gpu's need only x4 lanes to run where as Nvidia needs x8.

You are not going backwards in any way.

Nate152 wrote:
What it's referring to is the pcie lanes on the cpu which has 16 lanes + 8 lanes from the chipset for a total of 24 pcie lanes. This means you can use two M.2 ssd's without sacrificing cpu pcie lanes.

The configurations are showing:

x16 = 1 GPU

x8/x8 = two nvidia gpu's or two amd gpu's

x8/x4/x4 = three amd gpu's

AMD gpu's need only x4 lanes to run where as Nvidia needs x8.

You are not going backwards in any way.

Perfect, thanks for explaining Nate.