cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog crosshair viii dark hero + 5950x constant reboots

yanivfridman
Level 7
Hi, I just finished a new build for 3D + After Effects animation work and I've been having constant reboots while the computer is idle or doing light browsing.
I can her the CPU fans getting very loud for a few seconds and then quiet again, and no apps running at all. I've been trying to find a solution on forums and the only thing that made it stable at the moment was disabling the core performance boost option.
I tried updating to the latest bios (3003) but made no difference and I'm not familiar at all with tweaking the bios. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

This are my build specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Memory: HyperX Fury 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 HX436C18FB3K4/128
OS M.2 DRIVE: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2
Second M.2 Drive for cache: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA
Power Supply: EVGA P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Cook66
Level 7
I have the same issue with the non dark wifi version, I have been trying to figure it out for weeks with no luck.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
yanivfridman wrote:
Hi, I just finished a new build for 3D + After Effects animation work and I've been having constant reboots while the computer is idle or doing light browsing.
I can her the CPU fans getting very loud for a few seconds and then quiet again, and no apps running at all. I've been trying to find a solution on forums and the only thing that made it stable at the moment was disabling the core performance boost option.
I tried updating to the latest bios (3003) but made no difference and I'm not familiar at all with tweaking the bios. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

This are my build specs:

Thanks!

Hello,

Remove memory overclocking by disabling DOCP/ XMP and leave the system at optimised defaults to see if the issue persists.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Same issue here, on the C8F running the 3003 BIOS. I've tried practically everything, including another motherboard from a different manufacturer (MSI Tomahawk WiFi). I just did a CMOS clear and ran everything at default (including the RAM which drops to 2133 MHz). Can run any benchmark or app at 100% load for as long as I want, and there are no CPU/GPU/RAM issues or errors; as soon as everything returns to idle state, I *might* get a BSOD or just a reboot -- and then it *might* give me a WHEA minidump, a full memory dump, or fail to write anything at all.

What gets me stable is to turn PBO and core performance boost off. I can even run my RAM at DOCP settings just fine. Disabling C-States has no effect, nor do the various LLC settings or running the power at "typical current idle". Tried some slight bumps to the CPU and socket voltages but that didn't really help.

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S
RAM - 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ Royal DDR4-3600
Power Supply - Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850 Titanium
Video card - RTX 3090 Founders Edition

All of my system components, save for the CPU and motherboard (obviously), were pulled from a flawlessly working system w/ an i7-9700k.

romilius
Level 7
yanivfridman wrote:

This are my build specs:

Thanks!

Hi, try to disable C-states and DF C-States. This gonna help. Got the same issue with random reboots.

Riplex
Level 7
yanivfridman wrote:

This are my build specs:

Thanks!

I have the same problem.
First I had a 5900x with these WHEA 41 errors and for the test I bought a 5950x and the errors persist. Inexplicable restarts happen all the time.
OC yes or no or everything to default settings.
Bios 3003
Asus Crosshair Hero (nonWifi)
2 x 16 GB G.Skill 3600 MHz DDR4 Neo (Certified for Ryzen5000)
Samsung 980 Pro
Asus 3080 Strix OC
Asus Thor 1200 Watt

CH8 3900x 32gb Bdie random no load reboot...
The only thing I found that fixes it is to raise the ram voltage about .05v! Running 1.5v No reboot!!!

Heavy Chevy wrote:
CH8 3900x 32gb Bdie random no load reboot...
The only thing I found that fixes it is to raise the ram voltage about .05v! Running 1.5v No reboot!!!

I had reboots too. I now have my DRAM voltage at 1.37V (default is 1.35V) and SOC voltage at 1.125 (default is 1.1), and no reboots. In my experience too it is a matter of RAM voltages, or voltages fluctuations because of ram cstates. I tried a bunch of other settings too but for now it looks like it was the ram voltages which fixed it.

Same here no matter what SOC voltage I ran it didn't change the only thing that fixed it for me was the ram voltage at 1.45volts I have to run 18-18-18 but at 1.5 can run 14-16-16... Stock 1.4 18-18-18 would reboot

Deepcuts
Level 10