cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update my Crosshair Formula VIII X570 to any bios after version 1001

ThomasDSC
Level 7
So I bought a R9 5900X. When I tried to update my bios, and I didn't update since the first assembly, the MOBO message was "installation sucefully", but, when I tried to boot, got code 92 error. Just to be clear, I've tried EVERY single version since 502. Any version after 1001 give the same error. Tried various methods of update: Through bios software, by Windows, by pendrive with the ezflash and so on. Tried to remove memory sticks, change slots, with/without the old processor, and with the new one as well. Asus support doesnt kwon what to do either. The R9 is working perfectly in my test bench, so its not one to blame either. I need coffee and help...
11 REPLIES 11

RedSector73
Level 12
Should only need the latest, non-BETA BIOS. Without full specifications of the system, we can't easily help you. Try filling out the PC SPEC's please.

Error code is 'PCI Bus initialisation is started' suspect you have recent graphics card and misconfiguration. But lets face it, your asking to to guess without system specifications.

RedSector73 wrote:
Should only need the latest, non-BETA BIOS. Without full specifications of the system, we can't easily help you. Try filling out the PC SPEC's please.

Error code is 'PCI Bus initialisation is started' suspect you have recent graphics card and misconfiguration. But lets face it, your asking to to guess without system specifications.

Ryzen 7 3800X @4367mHz(to be replaced by R9 5900X), XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4 3600MHz (@3614 mHz - 14, 15, 15, 35), Water Cooler iCue H150i RGB PRO XT, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula, ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING, M.2 NVMe SSD Corsair Force MP510 960GB, M.2 NVMe SSD Intel 660P Series 1TB, Seagate BarraCuda 4TB, 2X Toshiba P300 2TB, Cougar GX 1050 Gold Plus, Lian Li O11 Dynamic Black, 6X SCYTHE Kaze Flex 120 RGB PWM 1800 RPM, Dell S2716DG @2560X1440-144Hz, Win10, Mouse: Sharkoon Drakonia II, Mechanical keyboard: Sharkoon Shark Skiller SGK3, Xbox One Wireless Controller, Astro A50 Xbox edition.

Tried with other VGA's as well, and got the same result.

have you tried USB stick and BIOS FlashBack? (as I read only EZflash...)

if you did already, then ignore... may be a broken Bios chip?!

-small sized USB thumbdrive (1-2GB with FAT), copy latest bios to it (may you have to try 1-2 USB sticks...)
-!!! Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8F.CAP) !!!
-shut down PC
-I always do a clear CMOS...
-connect USB stick to correct USB port on backpanel
-press BIOS Flashback button while system is powered off (but connected to power...)
-wait until blinking stops

power on pc

(this flashing method will work also without CPU, Memory etc as long power is connected...)

the_patchelor wrote:
have you tried USB stick and BIOS FlashBack? (as I read only EZflash...)

if you did already, then ignore... may be a broken Bios chip?!

-small sized USB thumbdrive (1-2GB with FAT), copy latest bios to it (may you have to try 1-2 USB sticks...)
-!!! Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8F.CAP) !!!
-shut down PC
-I always do a clear CMOS...
-connect USB stick to correct USB port on backpanel
-press BIOS Flashback button while system is powered off (but connected to power...)
-wait until blinking stops

power on pc

(this flashing method will work also without CPU, Memory etc as long power is connected...)

-small sized USB thumbdrive (1-2GB with FAT), copy latest bios to it (may you have to try 1-2 USB sticks...) done!
-!!! Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C8F.CAP) !!!done!
-shut down PCdone!
-I always do a clear CMOS...done!
-connect USB stick to correct USB port on backpaneldone!
-press BIOS Flashback button while system is powered off (but connected to power...)done!
-wait until blinking stopsdone!
- power on pc - SAME RESULTS.

Can't believe my luck...or the lack of it... no garantees after 12 months with the vendor.

Should I buy it another, then? (this mobo in my country costs just about 780 US$ - keep in mind, minimum wage in Brasil is 212 US$)

RedSector73
Level 12
Up front, don't understand buying Crosshair Formula VIII X570 motherboard which has water cooled VRM's and horrible when compared to the CH8 thermal performance from the VRM's on AIR cooling only.

That said, lets cover basics.

How to do USB flashback

1. You have power connectors connected that is two EATX connectors top lef the motherboard as well as all other power connectors done correctly.
2. You have RAM in slots 2 & 4 from CPU.
3. I want to remove the GPU, blow out the slot and reseat it, making sure all power to it plug back in correctly.
4. You have not changed the CPU backing plate and if you have, it is NOT put on backwards.
5. You have not overtightened the AIO onto CPU, I want you to turn the screws 1/4 turn back.

All this gets you what error codes ?

RedSector73 wrote:
Up front, don't understand buying Crosshair Formula VIII X570 motherboard which has water cooled VRM's and horrible when compared to the CH8 thermal performance from the VRM's on AIR cooling only.

That said, lets cover basics.

How to do USB flashback

1. You have power connectors connected that is two EATX connectors top lef the motherboard as well as all other power connectors done correctly.
3. I want to remove the GPU, blow out the slot and reseat it, making sure all power to it plug back in correctly.
4. You have not changed the CPU backing plate and if you have, it is NOT put on backwards.
5. You have not overtightened the AIO onto CPU, I want you to turn the screws 1/4 turn back.

All this gets you what error codes ?

Maybe because english its not my primary language, I may not expressing myself correctly and for that, Im sorry. I was using this MOBO before the attempt to update and I believe know how to update motherboards, however. Made this video for asus support channel, they re still trying to figure out what happened. (https://youtu.be/2N9Zu6VHbWo)

Yes, both. Although, I can update to any version up to 1001 without the processor. So I dont see how this could affect the update, but all connectors are in place.

I have all 4 slots with memory. I tried with two and just one. Same result.

I tried to boot with a RX 550 vga. Didnt try without a card however.

Tried with the old, the new and without the processor. Makes no difference.

Again, if were an issue here, would the 1001 version boot up?

All versions tested (after 1001), the message is the same: Instalation Successuly, when attempt to boot up, cod. 92 error. Besides my frustration, I do appreciate the effort and Im thankful.

RedSector73
Level 12
If you can boot 1001 BIOS, why not update to the latest from within the BIOS ?

RedSector73 wrote:
If you can boot 1001 BIOS, why not update to the latest from within the BIOS ?

I bought the R9 5900X but cant use because my mobo wont update. Thats why I need help.