cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus XI Hero - power cable question

i_Humanoid
Level 7
Hello all, I'm working on my first build and I seem to have hit a snag. My motherboard power socket doesn't match up with any of the cables that came with my PSU, Seasonic Focus PX 850. I'm attaching a pic from my mobo manual.

The pic shows that socket shapes for my 8-pin cable should be

Top row:
Rounded
Square
Square
Rounded

Bottow row:
Square
Rounded
Rounded
Square

But the 8 pin CPU to PSU cable that came with my PSU is

Top row:
Rounded
Rounded
Square
Rounded

Bottom row:
Rounded
Rounded
Rounded
Square

I hope this makes sense. It's been so freaking hard to find any mention of these different socket shapes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi i_Humanoid

Your motherboard has an 8 pin and a 4 pin cpu power connector.

An 8 pin cpu power cable should fit into the 8 pin cpu power connector, the 4 pin is optional.

Make sure it is an 8 pin cpu power cable and not an 8 pin pcie power cable.

Nate152 wrote:
Make sure it is an 8 pin cpu power cable and not an 8 pin pcie power cable.

Hey thanks for responding and for moving this to the correct place.

Yeah the one I mentioned actually says CPU on one side and PSU on the other, idiot proof 😂. But yeah they just aren't the ones I need for this board. So I'm guessing I need to purchase new ones, but I don't know how to specify those connection shapes.

It's also really confusing that this doesn't seem to be a very common problem. Like I did a lot of research and I was sure Seasonic and this mobo were pretty well known. It's so frustrating.

i_Humanoid wrote:
Hey thanks for responding and for moving this to the correct place.

Yeah the one I mentioned actually says CPU on one side and PSU on the other, idiot proof 😂. But yeah they just aren't the ones I need for this board. So I'm guessing I need to purchase new ones, but I don't know how to specify those connection shapes.

It's also really confusing that this doesn't seem to be a very common problem. Like I did a lot of research and I was sure Seasonic and this mobo were pretty well known. It's so frustrating.

it should fit you checked you got all the cables with your psu?, all cpu power connectors are the same, other than yours has an extra 4 pin for overclocking

Wangeyed wrote:
it should fit you checked you got all the cables with your psu?, all cpu power connectors are the same, other than yours has an extra 4 pin for overclocking

I did. It came with 2 bags of cables, tons. But none that match up. So are you saying the shape mismatch doesn't matter?

Nate152
You didn't mention if you tried connecting it, just making sure as you're just comparing them.

The latch on the end of the cpu power cable should be at the top when connecting it, it should go right in and latch on to the connector. (the 8 pin connector circled in yellow).

Are the cables 2x4 pin? If they are make sure the C meets the PU.

The actual pinout in the picture could be wrong, but you can bet the cable will fit into the connector. Go ahead and connect it, and just like that I'm feeling confident it is connected.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Nate152 wrote:
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

No, I hadn't tried plugging it in because I read on some other forum or post somewhere that those shapes matter, they're to prevent you from frying your board. But...

I just plugged it in and it fit. So I booted up into bios (which is whole other thing I have to research entirely) but right away I noticed my cpu/memory temperature is in red @ 88°C. And I know that's high. Why whould it be that hot as soon as I turn it on?

I don't have a CPU fan yet because the one I bought just didn't fit with everything else in my case, but I didn't expect it to be running so hot so quick. I have 5 fans total and my GPU has a RAD.

i_Humanoid wrote:

I don't have a CPU fan yet because the one I bought just didn't fit with everything else in my case, but I didn't expect it to be running so hot so quick. I have 5 fans total and my GPU has a RAD.

OMG. What the heck u smoking bruh running it w/o a cpu cooler?! :eek:

Nate152
Ok, you know it works !

Are you saying you don't have a cpu cooler installed? This is the reason for the high cpu temp. Don't run your pc without a cooler.

What cpu cooler do you have that doesn't fit?

List your case and your cpu cooler please.

Nate152 wrote:
Ok, you know it works !

Are you saying you don't have a cpu cooler installed? This is the reason for the high cpu temp. Don't run your pc without a cooler.

What cpu cooler do you have that doesn't fit?

List your case and your cpu cooler please.

OK I'm upp and running. I ended up getting the Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M. And obviously my temps are in check now.

Next up I'll need to investigate bios and relearn windows (I won't bother you guys with either).

I do however have one more thing I would really appreciate some help with, my fans. I have 6 plus the two on the CPU rad. There are so many different names on these 4pin headers but they all look the same. Like CPU fan is obviously where I plugged in the CPU fan but the two right next to it say CPU_OPT and AIO_PUMP. Can either of those just power a fan?

I was thinking about getting one of those hub /controllers but I just wanted to get this thing running. Anyone have a recommendation?